Tutorials

scratch - building with BB

Posted by Peter on 11 Dec 2021, 13:51

Clive cussler and Tom Clancy are my favorite books! Currently I'm reading a book of Clive with Isaac Bell in it. Time period is early twenty century. I miss them on your shelves Paul! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 11 Dec 2021, 18:55

Peter wrote:Clive cussler and Tom Clancy are my favorite books! Currently I'm reading a book of Clive with Isaac Bell in it. Time period is early twenty century. I miss them on your shelves Paul! ;-)

No, no, Peter, they are over there on the far right... :mrgreen:

MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 11 Dec 2021, 20:25

OK now I see them in the C-section! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Dec 2021, 03:42

There is still a little dressing up to do on that first one above but i piled some of my home made books into place which is good practice for me, because seeing it so decked out does prove that it is no longer an illusion in my over stretched imagination. Now i need empty it of all the books so i can then varnish it in order to preserve the work.

Above are some of the paperback books Peter and Jan, were inquiring about. Although these are not open ended book covers. However i am familiar with these authors books, so i set up a simple page to print out. In case others who might like to print out old advertisements for diorama's or indeed old classic movie posters like the one below.

https://youtu.be/GkIYolapTeg

Made in black and white, but via the Link above you can now view it in colour however there are adverts.

:coffee: That's all from Fiddle Wood at this time. So,so long for now,i'll see you on the next one. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Dec 2021, 04:35

https://youtu.be/kgShHMsHUs8?t=6

This one has the beginning of the movie.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 12 Dec 2021, 23:29

I'm reading this one at the moment:

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Dad's Army on 13 Dec 2021, 18:46

Peter wrote:I'm reading this one at the moment:

Didn't knew you could read Peter :mrgreen:
Kindergarden in Belgium is suprising :P
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Peter on 13 Dec 2021, 20:49

Dad's Army wrote:Didn't knew you could read Peter :mrgreen:
Kindergarden in Belgium is suprising :P

Did you forget who was reading what was on the toy soldier boxes for you, so you knew what to buy? That was me! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Dec 2021, 07:49

OK Guys.back on topic now.

It had happened to be an early Tuesdays rise for me because at 04.50 it saw me from pillow to post editing these photographs in many a cut direction. Finally i arrived in the fullness of time at 6 A M in which the ticking mantle piece clock saw me placing them out here.

Looking as one does at the inviting arch i realised i needed to add a few more bits which of course required more cutting out.

So in the centre i stuck two more pieces in place with the glue already mentioned.

Yes i thought this would add more interest and in an engineering style make perfect sense.

Although only one is on view i also added two more strips of card to the inside walls. Which i painted over several times.

Miss Stella Nibwell Inkhorn, still has blu tac on her face due to me using her as a pattern in a mould. So yes so i'll use a ball of blu tac to get that off.

:coffee: OK, it is now 07.49 so i'll see you on the next one. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 14 Dec 2021, 09:53

Nice work Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Dec 2021, 03:44

Thank you Peter, :thumbup: things are going together now nicely.

The assembly production line of working on all three instead of just one.

:mrgreen: A bit like having three extra hands. :eh: What is? :sst: well it is all in the pictures below. :cowboy: It sure is Pards.

i'll use anything as a tool to get square and level, so here i used the tables raised wooden edge ,a plastic case my blades came in and i also used make shift card to form a tight enough wedge support forcing the edges to butt up against one another until the glue had dried.

:coffee: 21 pieces fixed into their place was sure enough work for me yesterday.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Dec 2021, 10:10

That looks like a library I could and would get happily lost in! And never leave! Great work Paul!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Dec 2021, 06:01

Thank you Gunnar, the Library is a strange place filled up to over spilling with peoples thoughts and dreams. You are most welcome to be written of in one of its story book tales, but if you visit and get lost i'll never find you because this topsy turvy book place is tumbling through time and space and therefore is constantly upon the move.

Often is the case more strips of card are needed,and so it was time to knuckle down into producing many more. It can get very run of the mill monotonous at times, but writing of it in this journal is something that provides many an avenue of escaping any dullness to my thankful day as it unfolds . The inert act of existence, as in vegetating is certainly not for me.

The wood grain effect works for me and is an effect that adds a little pleasure while doing it and it is so easy quick to do. :eh: It's just lines. :mrgreen: But not those lines that BB, got at school. :sst: those were so tiresome for the little lad trying hard to grow up in the early part of the 1960's. :eh: Growing up u say? He sure failed there. :coffee: Thankfully, yes indeed.

A black ink pen belonging to my Mrs B,was used so a glimmer of the easiness of it can be seen.

And so it was upon a bright filled day a Friday to be precise that the planking arrived fresh hand cut and fully painted. Fred and MayBell, are never around when i need them.

The other three book cases can now be finished off on the other sides. Which is a pretty cool part and parcel activity that i especially enjoy doing ,because all the parts needed will eventually come together. It is not magic, it is just little old me doing something rather than nothing.

Over the Holiday Season of Goodwill ,enjoy your self but do stay safe out there; and of course help others if you can.
A spoonful of kindness will help you do well.
:coffee: That's it 4 now C, U all Soon BB.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Dec 2021, 03:59

i did it my way with the first four pieces being stuck on and the little plastic square oblong box sure helped out big time on this book case.

Measuring only once for each set of shelves,

i then used that one as a template and cut off all i needed. See the little oblong box stood on end which made everything square!

Here the last right handed shelf needed fitting.

And so it was it fell into place supported by a little spacer board underneath.

The brackets were stuck into place and left to dry before painting. Now i have shown how the rest of goes into place before so this is the last time for showing the way i built the arches of books.

With the collection of planking all ready to finish the last remaining book shelves i'll finish them off in one
more swift day.

:coffee: OK,as the last few days of 2021 tick themselves away, take care guys and stay safe, and as always help others if you can. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 19 Dec 2021, 08:49

I like the multicolour backs of the books in the shelve.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Dec 2021, 01:33

Thank you Jan, :thumbup: differing colours do lend added interest ,like a famous coat once did upon the pantomime stage first letter clue to that riddle is a J!

:coffee: Well guys the work is going well,and i am drawing up new plans ; hopefully leading to an interesting something. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 20 Dec 2021, 09:20

I find this picture just wonderfull! This is how a real bookshelf looks like:

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Dec 2021, 10:41

Many thanks Peter, i must say that playing along with my camera's and indeed posting here does make it all worth while.

:coffee: A few years ago i ordered on E Bay something that i cannot remember,and those two orders never came; but i did get a glass marble, and i did receive a pack of short steel bars. :mrgreen: BB,got ripped off. :eh: Such things happen, said Wingnut. :coffee: i've not traded with China for over two years now,and i doubt i ever will again. :cowboy: Yes Embargo! It's time to pay for steel bars and marbles along with other almighty things! :sst: yes i totally and completely understand, murmured the peace loving little button.

i never throw anything away,
and i never forget really important matters.
So the short steel bars remained on a rather dusty shelf in my workshop.

i had thought that i'd find no bright use for them until now. :eh: Eh?

After making small brackets that the bars will slip through, each will be mounted as the rail where a ladder can be propped up to fetch and carry a book or two wherever they might need to go. Just like real Library's have been doing since written records began.

:coffee: Today arrived, and at 4 am, it saw me once more active in book display as old pieces of scrap paper card were filled up with open book covers. I must admit my stash of such throw away stuff is nearly exhausted and so is fit to come to an end real soon. My Dear Mrs B, often asked me to throw such stuff away to no avail, meaning having no success. :mrgreen: He He.

As the Staves of this old year wind their way down to its final end,
i hope that you are all safe and feeling well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Jan 2022, 13:27

More unconventional scratch building to come in this 2022 year, so please watch this space. :eh: Sounds like the final frontier. :mrgreen: No no,BB always uses a craft knife, :sst: and never front-tears anything.

Miss Stella Nibwell Inkhorn originated from across the Pond and even though it is the England of 1888,she still keeps an eye out each day for Injuns, thanks to Harry Faversham! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25249&p=279513#p278833

:coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Rich W on 26 Jan 2022, 00:40

I look forward to more updates BB, I always enjoy following your handiwork!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials