Tutorials

scratch - building with BB

Posted by Kekso on 21 Apr 2022, 09:44

Susofrick wrote:The stairs looks great!

At first I've read "That STARTS to look great" :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Apr 2022, 18:09

Well thank you Gunnar,and Dalibor, the spiral twisted gradually into its paper card shape as two steps were added at a time,and all without a centre support spine too.However that item was shown before laying around upon my work table and does fit through near on perfectly. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Apr 2022, 22:31

While in the darkness of that room, i sensed then recognised a ghostly feeling decend fully upon me,soon thereafter i detected the smell and taste of ground Almonds in my mouth,as if i had been snake bite. Then slowly from behind that dead certain touch of clammy cold hands climbing up upon each of my shoulders. Most certainly i was frozen stiff upon this night of dejavu in the Library.

Suddenly i awoke cold in my armchair,and soon after throwing a warm blanket over my legs, making sure of tucking each side in, i began typing this.

Upon her highly ellevated advantage point,Miss Stella Nibwell Inkhorn,all of a flutter now decided to view the stars and bars while concidering her aged P, Uncle Sam with his minute man black powder flint-lock musket being reloaded in his arms.

Sir Percy,calls out, 'Please be carefull my Dear Miss Nibwell,it is very high up there and very dangerous indeed? Very true Sir Percy , but BB, has to finish the top landing step to make me flutter in the wind at full mast.
BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 22 Apr 2022, 23:03

Those stairs looking better and better! But they are dangerous indeed for the lady! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Apr 2022, 02:44

Not really Peter,she's blu tac'ed into place! Thanks for commenting. :thumbup:

Sir Percy, thought she'll not get any work done at all,and what about my dinner?
And so it was that two light blue shoes covered in tiny stars remained stuck fast into place upon that metal step,and Miss Stella, was left bear footed but had a loan of Sir Percy's large red slippers that had a Golden British Lion on each one. As it turned out there was a real snake,a nasty brute of a thing,but it was soon cornered,skined ,cut up, then fried , all served up with chips of golden brown.It tasted just as i, Miss Stella and Percy, remembered ...like Chicken.

:mrgreen: But with lots more to it , 4 it were a 14 foot serpent from a beautiful lost garden. Not one bite of it was wasted because JohnBull and Old Uncle Sam,and all those with them fit for service ate their fill to the point of popping off buttons.

:coffee: Such a good Mag for the Library. Bye for now. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Apr 2022, 13:48

The second spiral staircase is under construction with its function aimed firmly at twisting in every oppersite turn to that of the first one. :mrgreen: yes one for going up,the other, :sst: for comming down.

:eh: why? :sst: they are one way steps wingnut. :eh: Why not just have a Firemen's Pole?
:cowboy: Here we go round the mullberry bush... :coffee: upon a cold and frost morning. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Apr 2022, 14:53

Sunshine shone through my window was a certain great delight!

No matter what i do,the shadows come in for free.

So it would be good not to waste it.

:coffee: This helps out showing the winding way of utter cluttered display!
Remember it ain't over untill the fat lady sings! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 26 Apr 2022, 18:20

This way it's looks a bit as a space adventure! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Apr 2022, 06:49

i know what you mean Peter,it appears these little pepper pots are on excersize,so are no real threat to any of my toys.

This is my own interlocking design. Each completed piece will support each other as long as the measurement of the curcle is true on each piece at either end.

Which way the spiral will turn is dependent upon which side the support arm is glued in place.

The support arm is twice as wide as the smaller sized pieces.

Only one support arm will be glued up for fitting these two parts together. As one sits on the edge of the one below a strong bonding curve is thus created.

The scrible on the card is not necessary i just used a piece of paper scrap card

When glued up these just fit into place forming what will be four raised spiral steps. The new L E D Light reflection almost seems a Masonic Eye,but it ain't.

There are another three parts to add to each of these sections once they are glued into interlocking place.

The parts are two support brackets and two lengths of card that will be glued together to form a step.

Until next time take care out there,it ain't over yet! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Apr 2022, 16:24

Above are step shapes stuck onto another piece of paper card. :mrgreen: And the patterns are kinda cute! :sst: but their formation helps make it easier to cut out with a craft knife. :read: Doing it this way saves time taken out from marking out each individual tiny piece. Mentioned the very well educated Bookworm.

A heavy book pressed them down flat over night. So looking at a book is rather boring,so the beginning of spiral steps leading to the left and right.

Time came upon the next day after Zooming around the world, that it was time to fix the two supportive brackets into place.

The knife directs just where the main fixing point of the bracket will be.

At an angle it will be glued into place at this opposite point' and along their top edges too.

With the brackets glued into place,two more support pieces were cut out. i like to cut an angle off one end,it being to add interest to the eye.

They were both stuck along the entire opposite side butting up to the smaller end of the bracket making it a good solid reliable fixing point.

The spiral steps running up the left hand side.

The other to the right.

Twelve parts make up these supportive modulars of three spiraling steps that link into place,and i will need ten (10) 120 pieces for each side stepping sci fi challange that might well lead nowhere at all,but then i don't really know perhaps they might. Such is the mind of a scratch-builder.

:eh: What about the handrail ? :mrgreen: That's a great question comming from Wingnut! :eh: It is ? I mean it is. :stressed: i once rolled around and around down tip over tail on one of those darn cast iron things. :eh: It did nothing to alter your smillie shape though. :mrgreen: Which is of course our best rounded shape ever.

I will have to paint what i have first before making then twurle of railing and handrails. :eh: Why's that then BB ? :sst: it would be very awkward paing steps with the handrail fixed on. :cowboy: With our shape we don't need handrails anyway Pards.

:coffee: Very true. That's it 4 now guys c u all soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 May 2022, 13:53

As another day of sunshine peeped through the glass of the hallway windows... All three figures thought it highly amusing at seeing BB's, light heartedly glued up display. :eh: A glue pot?
:mrgreen: What else could it be with the antics of BB ?

i simply use strips of card to apply the glue to the many parts that spiral their way up in jovial display. :mrgreen: Yes stuck soundly, :eh: into mood of idiom! :read: Be they thick or thin they will do.Sounded the well read Bookworm.

Brushes are very expensive to use for such globbings of thick white water proof glue,so i use what i have got in an aboundance of profusion! Off cuts left after cutting out each tiny part free-hand. Of course after a while the glue pot top gets trimmed up in an odd sort of tongue in cheek suggestive way.

The first prototype being just that,now four new spiralling staircase steps are twisting their own individual way upwards after modification paved the self supporting way.

'Scratch-building is like this,because any author artist can find the way into learning curves that overcome problems.'

Writing so of curves,even empty Toilet rolls can be used for the inner support just stuff the insides with soft paper to maintain the curcle on the outside. Then make the correct curved steps, and glue them into place. :sst: super cool and practically for free. said the Forums little button.

No need for smoke or mirrors to add to the table top illusion.

:coffee: As here the oddest of things are always taking place.
Stay safe my friends and kind viewers too. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Minuteman on 09 May 2022, 21:37

Fine modelling, imagination and improvisation. And as for getting Daleks to help build 'stuff'...well, when I was 4 or 5 years of age I used to hide behind the sofa when these wheely monsters came on the TV screen.....
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 May 2022, 14:42

Extra fixings now reveal each have 28 steps !

:coffee: After being upon Zoom,The hum drum style of a relaxed Sunday afternoon arrived and it saw me attach two more steps upon each stairwell. The case being to raise them high above each of the libraries Archways. :drool: What? :coffee: Because architrave needs scratch-building next for all of those raised up items. :eh: 'Will they ever reach the top floor or bash straight into the cieling ?' Asked WingNut, in his usual caustic style of corrosive grumbling! :mrgreen: Well there are no ceilings! Declared Mr Green in his usual style of grinning whit.
:sst: 'and no top floor either,now that's funny,' chimed in the charming Little Button,that never speaks in capitals.

:coffee: The cheap brush with stiff bristles rests in the cool water. :mrgreen: And will continue to do so between each escapade of BB, trying to paint while shaking during such times.
:cowboy: 'To counter such untimely Splashings! Mrs B,blu-tac'ed toughened glass onto the work table that happily sits tucked away under the hallway stairs.' :read: As does the strangest of all Fiddle Wood's Gnomes! :sst: 'it being our very own bb'.
:eh: 'Yes,yes,I remember The Jungle Photograph! I must get his autograph',Rang out WingNut! :mrgreen: When the Penny of such an authors identity finally dropped!
:read: 'Entry into journal,WingNut Sucking Up!' Wrote the well read and highly educated BookWorm! :eh: 'That ain't funny!'
:read: 'It ain't?' :eh: 'No!' :read: 'OK.'

:coffee: 'i used the cheapest acrylic white paint which is quite quick drying,but i needed to mix a batch up that would last two or three days without drying hard in my yogurt pot.'
:sst: 'if that were to happen it would be very wasteful indeed',mentioned the clever Little Button. :cowboy: 'Although 10 Pence, is no dam buster to ones wallot!' Added The Cowboy who always sleeps in his boots!
:mrgreen: I am ever greatful for such small mercies.

:mrgreen: 'And so it was that BB, added one small dot of washing up soap to the mix plus three dipped in dripping brushfulls of cool water,' :read: 'Which were stirred in slowly making a nice creamy mixture up.' :eh: 'But what about the bubbles flouting about every where?' :coffee: 'Well if you squeeze a long squirt of soap in such a mixture,the bouncing barnes wallis, bubbles would arrive almost for free.'
:sst: 'o my.' muttered the Little Button.

:coffee: 5 0r six base coats later,i cannot remember which. i have now reached the point of that which is seen above.
Thank you for all your visit,and any former comments. :thumbup: This journal will continue a little later. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 May 2022, 00:07

:coffee: Things started to go crazy as more of their idea's arrived with them. :cowboy: Where on Earth is Fred and MayBell?
:eh: Never here where they are needed.

:sst: numberoneforfun

BB, needs to finish painting these my Dear Miss Stella, declared Sir Percy; But not the shadows i hope? She replied.

:sst: darkness falls

BBnumberoneJustForFun :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: A good pick up game to play.

:coffee: until i see you here again:
So long 4 now BB.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 25 May 2022, 08:27

That looks absolutely fantasticfaboulouswonderfultotallygreat!!!! I was a bit worried if you could keep the daleks in check without Fred and Maybell, but you seems to manage quite well!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 26 May 2022, 14:03

I want to read that book about Buffalo Bill! :-D

That will be a fantastic library when this is finished! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 May 2022, 01:02

The price upon the Mad Hatters crowning glory, is 10/6d which is ten shillings and and sixpence, in Britains copper and silver coinage of former older times. :winky: Coinage act 1971.
:coffee: It would entail an opperation of special importance to remove it,but he of course being the Hatter that he is,is stuck fast in a parralled universe. Where it involves him and others like Mouse and Hare ,rushing around the longest table top ever made with its polished up to shine chair-full privalaged class positions; while all the time is taken up by filling the cups, and scoffing down oat-cakes and sweet tasting sticky buns during Wonder Lands perpetual tea time. Looking back at the smashed fragments of shattered cups, plates, and silver saucers upon that long table top,of course Dear Alice herself having freedoms cause,to escape and isolate, is not amused at this deadly game of impending greed! For surely getting ever greedy red faced fat, they might well explode? She said to others after leaving such a Hatters dire appalling scene.

:coffee: Everything has a cost,
However high or low,
Most would agree
But sometimes things happen,
Like below where artful dodging hobbies are concerned.

These four double sided arches being rather that much taller than the others will house over 1,200 tiny books. :eh: Crazy!

:coffee: This stuff above has already risen by 50% in cost it being petroleum based,although this is old stock bought on EBay.
:eh: Bah Humbug! Sometimes even Sharks have to be dealt with. :coffee: i bought six to top up my stash that will see me out.
:mrgreen: Only to find out later that self same day that Mrs B, had 9 jars of that brilliant varnish in her own collection of Arts & Crafts gold bullion! :sst: so being quite shrewd bb,swopped his six for her nine. :cowboy: So he did in fact get a slight of hand discount! :eh: Eh! said WingNut,him having no head for mathematics! :coffee: Unlike you guys.

The library that may exist elsewhere often calls out with all its shadowy shaped colours and story lines within this great journal. Most certainly it is much deeper in my own metaphorical mind during these ceaseless days of absolute challange.

:coffee: :cowboy: :sst: :read: The riddle. To collect metal such as gold to obtain a shiny mobile iron machine,one must expect the rust that is sure to come soon after its use. The important thing is not to remain as ash there between that first shine and the resulting rust!

:coffee: i hope to c u later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jun 2022, 14:42

Thank U Gunnar and Peter, for commenting. :thumbup: :thumbup:
i personally would love to read those long-ago lost Western Annuals too Peter. So much so as to imagine the smell of the old musty inked pages, and of course that of the swirling gun smoke.

This time a look at some of the open book covers that are going into print soon.

:coffee: i was most fortunate indeed to have found this open book cover Buffolo Bill Annual from 1955.
:cowboy: I guess one is better than none Pard's ?

Showing the three pieces above to each one that i combined to mock up my own litte books.

Eventually they start their own rhythm of down sizing.

Until their dowards spiral reaches the point of the printers ink!

Not being a conventional artist author, i make do with what i can obtain. Then reason it out in order to directly proceed with the project in hand.
:mrgreen: It ain't rocket science, :coffee: Unless i am making one.

Above there being a chose of two echieved by adding two differing pictures of the centre spine.

Here i found a long ago sleeping almost forgotten Alice Front Cover, and applied the same course of P C action in order to stock a few empty shelf spaces with the results of having great fun..

Following on is another open book cover for use in model making. It arrived upon the simple turn of a playing card. On reflection of this one book, i will never get it upside down.

:coffee: Many have visited this Ni-Acky Journal now,thanx! :thumbup:
:eh: Eh? :mrgreen: Just when you think it goes in one direction ;
:cowboy: It turns tail to gallop along another blazing trail!
:eh: Met-a-4 ripping yarns!

Certainly applying the cute factor is compulsive behavior of the highest childhood form where i am concerned.

A rare 1921 find.

A smaller scale 1921 and a frontal facing book cover.

From my collection on Pinterest,i've decided to fold these two into books,too.
:sst: the three to's ! :eh: Eh! :cowboy: To Two Too, that sounds like the old Locomotive coming down the track.

Downsized to give me twelve '12 !'

Another classic 1950's Wonder Land book helps set the scene that has been well spread out before you.

It takes an age to formulate pages for printing and all these will be set to paper and ink real soon. Varnishing is ongoing and work has started on Set Three of my Spiral Stairs with a wider diameter. A couple of long cardboard tube's came my way , and it would be a shame not to use it. :mrgreen: There's a certain kind of fascination in this eagerness of homespun learning. It is good therapy for my hands and fancy free mind of floating magic mushrooms!

:coffee: Until the next one,
Stay safe guys,
And help others if you can. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jun 2022, 02:32

Technical drawing,and typing this was certainly a large part of my day of abstracted preoccupied bliss! :coffee: For this quick build scheme i only needed Just a quater of one circle. Upon this subject ,of cutting up circles it is ok to do that,but it would produce much to much paper card waste. So by taking another route this would cost roughly around 25 Pence, to make rather than a Pound! 75 Pence in a Pound is a great saving,and because i plan to make four,this is a massive saving to undertake

i used the tenplate pattern shape and skirted around it with a sharp pointed craft knife,this saved me time by not using my pencil for that task.

For added strength the left over toilet paper inner roll will suit this part well.

The needed pieces stavked up well,which included some long streight edged one,and everything was to be scribed out to the look like olden day times lumber.

after marking out where the shelves would be stuck into place,it all went togethr quite well.

i was very pleased with this first inner curved sample.

The post card paper was much to thin to use so i would use the loo-roll.

illustration purpose only just to show the hieight of this new piece on this scratch-building programme.

Hopefully the bottom section will have two curved cupboard doors!

:coffee: Three more to make,then i;m painting again which is not my strongest point,but i try. :mrgreen: Mrs B,says BB,is quite trying! :coffee: Very true. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 12 Jun 2022, 20:03

Nice addition to your bookshelfs Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials