Tutorials

scratch - building with BB

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Mar 2021, 15:04

:winky: It was a fine sunny day and it saw BB,chopping out the fire place front.
:cowboy: Hack , hacking away. :thumbup: Go for it BB,it's only paper!

:coffee: I saw a need and cut it out extending it a little,so it kind'da looks rough but there is reason to this sort of match box size madness and in a most optimum way. :eh: Sorry i don't understand.
:mrgreen: niether does anyone else. :oops: Ooops!
:read: Remembering the slant needed to each side of the hearth, BB also hacked out those pieces too, :mrgreen: which is pretty cool. :sst: it sure is, :cowboy: because there ain't no fire. :eh: Eh!

:coffee: With the straight back and slooping inward sides fixed soundly into place,it was time for another dry run with the fire front in slotted position so that the camera could glimmer a small wink at it. So after viewing this spied out plan,i guess it will have to do.

:sst: will there be doors or drawers ? asked the little Button. :eh: Why not both? :mrgreen: and window sills too? :read: Now that will be a wonderment for our BB to ponder a thought or two upon.
:cowboy: It sure will Pards.

:coffee: Whatever changes might befall this topsy turvy place.
I hope to see you all later. Stay safe one and all. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 25 Mar 2021, 15:51

Everything is getting on his place. Slowly but sure! Looks already as a nice fireplace Paul! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 25 Mar 2021, 16:19

Looks like it's going to be a very cozy place. How do I shrink so I can fit? When can we move in? And the rent?
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Mar 2021, 22:15

Gunnar,that would be a neat trick if you and i knew how best to shrink down to such a size. Just think how large the World would be to us? Second thoughts there are scary things out their so i'd sooner not go there. i would hate to see a Spider as big as my little Fiddle Wood, white cottage.
:eh: Crazy BB.

:coffee: To smile or even laugh once a day can be the start of an awfully big adventure.
:sst: i highly recommend it. :mrgreen: Me too. :cowboy: And me too Pards!

Yes, very slow to be unsure Peter, because i have extra ongoing daily responsibilities elsewhere. Mainly writing lots of stuff to support others during this COVID 19 debacle. Than once a day on ZOOM helping myself and along with others. :thumbup: :eh: This i do understand, said WingNut.

i always try to follow up with all the comments,not that i get many. :eh: Yes BB,replies.
:mrgreen: Which gives him an excuse to natter jack along in such an odd flow.

:coffee: Finally having found time for myself,a welcome change and a refreshing one,for today at play i was cutting up paper-card packaging for the cupboards and drawers to this old place. So i'm a happy Bunny, because it comes in free with my proscribed drugs once every two months. :mrgreen: Such is life for older ones.

:coffee: OK Guys! Until the next one. Stay safe. Stay well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 26 Mar 2021, 23:13

That slowly wasn't ment negative. I'm the last one who may say that if you look at the amount of figures I'm painting! :mrgreen:

You're doing fine Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Mar 2021, 23:42

Sorry i never meant to imply it that way Peter, :oops:
i for my part am very slow indeed.
As always you were fine in both your comments :thumbup:
Many thanks. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Mar 2021, 14:53

Copied Internet books

i will try to get my dear Mrs B,to shrink down these books so i can place them upon those shelves.
:eh: You could've made a flat surface BB,and just stuck them onto it. :mrgreen: Then you would've had no need to make the shelves at all. :read: All is not what BB seems to suggest,said the highly educated Book Worm, :cowboy: I betcha BB,has something up his sleeve? :eh: His arm? :sst: highly polished secrets i suspect. :eh: You mean lies? :read: No not at all,in the Beano Boy Code Book there is no such place for secrets and lies. :mrgreen: Just secrets! :eh: Well it seems very fishy to me,replied WingNut.

And so it was that another special day arrived.

The books were reduced in size to that of 10 and 12mm and after a couple of samples were printed out on A4 size paper,i decided to print them out upon photo paper,so they would be a much sharper defined picture book size. My Mrs B,helped out with our Printer, inspite of it being intent to do its own thing. :eh: O Boy,that EPSON Printer has got to go. Mrs B, agreed.

The top line of books are much better looking to the cameras eye.

Before placing each tiny block of books, the long awaited for painting day is now upon the next horizon. Then more features can be added to make it pop!

:coffee: So thanks for looking again guys. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 27 Mar 2021, 14:59

What would you do without Mrs BB? :eh:

She did a good job downsizing those books! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 27 Mar 2021, 15:17

BB--

I am actually mildly surprised that you haven't got a technique for making .25 centimeter high books with covers that open and pages that can really turn, all crafted out of leftover packaging materials and found items.

But the printed book case façade looks really convincing, too.

Have a spot of tea, then say on. Say on!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Mar 2021, 00:11

A VERY SPECIAL SATURDAY ARRIVED

So the Bread & Wine was prepared.

Eventually after darkness had arrived outside,
it the remains of that days night saw me typing out this.

Bluefalchion,i do so agree with your book comment. :thumbup:
Many years ago i downsized real newspapers for my HO OO railway
figures to read while awaiting the train to Old Catton.

What i will simple add, is all is not over, until the fat lady sings!
:eh: Which means? :read: BB's working on it. :mrgreen: that's right. :eh: He is?
:cowboy: Yup! he sure is Pards! :eh: No,No, Not his BEANO COMIC ANNUALS ?
:coffee: Now that sure is another good shrinking idea WingNut.
:eh: Well i am trying! :sst: you sure are that, said the little Button

.................. :winky: SUNDAY ARRIVED with the loss of an hour.

:coffee: A Snipping Time, was had by way of my twiddlely dee thumb,
and twiddley dee-dum finger in my trusty snip* snip* ,large sized scissors.
:sst: and boy,o boy are they sharp!

:coffee: Tip of my day,i wore my largest T Shirt that nearly reaches my knees!
:eh: Eh! Why was that then?
:coffee: Well all the tiny paper pieces once snipped off fell down onto my lap covering t shirt and when i finished what needed doing,i simply gathered up all of those bits by lifting up the hem of that garment. Yes all were then fetched out to the plastic bin,and emptied out.
:mrgreen: All over Mrs B's Kitchen floor. :shock: ! :shock:! :drool: I'm not shocked at all.
:cowboy: That's BB,just being BB. :coffee: Very true a few missed the gaping hungry bin with its mouth wide open,but there was not even one wee scrap upon the stone floor in the other room.
:read: Duly entered in the journal, BB's Belly Button Day. :sst: so very true, said the little button.

The first base coat of the cheapest black acrylic paint mixed with wet water was applied to the fireplace,and i ended up giving it another two more thin coats.

Peter, my Mrs B, is amazingly clever and kind putting up with my antics of daily eccentric play.
:coffee: Yes while sipping the coffee of my youth, i was remembering this, that, that lost hour would return in the coming Autumn of this hopeful year without to many bats from the far east coming our way.
Remember to stay safe as you possibly can. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 29 Mar 2021, 20:01

The beano Boy Team is a good team! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Mar 2021, 01:07

:coffee: Many thanks Peter

Although more painting is required later, i cut my strips of book fronts to fit each shelf.

The backing strips are being cut out and gluing them altogether will be a bit like making wobbly sandwiches! :mrgreen: BB,s hands shake, :sst: at the oddest of times.
:coffee: Yes long ago i went to see the Elephant! :eh: ,,, :cowboy: For once WingNut,was lost for words.
:read: Cowboy,went to see it with Teddy's Rough Riders in 1895. As the Penny dropped, WingNut said, :eh: ' Well i have no great wish to go see it.'

The mantle, along with some simple changes can be cut out next.There are no hard or fast rules for scratch-built stuff, and changes can be made upon the slightest whim. Which can make the hobby much more adventurous fun. :mrgreen: Plus a little bit more to write about.

:coffee: Hopefully i'll see you on the next one. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 31 Mar 2021, 04:18

Very cool looking bookcase. But is that a fireplace right in the middle?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Graeme on 31 Mar 2021, 08:46

Beano Boy wrote: :mrgreen: Thinking outside the box :sst: yes while making one!

I like that :-)

But now you've got me wondering what's stored in all of those drawers and cupboards. BB's buildings are always full of stories. :-D

The books look fabulous! Printers can be a real pain in the neck but I'm sure there isn't one made that can outwit Mrs. B.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Peter on 31 Mar 2021, 09:53

It looks wonderfull with the books on their place! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 31 Mar 2021, 14:29

That is very nice!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Mar 2021, 18:28

The fireplace is in the center of the three inch room and is loosely based upon one in Mr & Mrs Triggles' Cottage, although i of course have had to shrink it down some what,to create the illusion that i want. The real cottage stands just outside of Bolshom , and it being 15 miles from Cambridge UK. As Triggle,means those that keep secrets , i based Jack Triggles within my story 'Modern Times' which i wrote in 2015.

Book rows are 10 or 12 mm in height.

I am looking into a book topic in order to stack them up one upon another at differing angles.

The Mantle is cut to size, and there is hopefully lots more hobby-styled work that i wish to add.
The cupboards need painting after a slight change to them,and the fire hearth needs making up.

Thank you all for your interest and comments.

:coffee: I'll leave you with another fireplace where dear Alice is going through the magical mirror.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Apr 2021, 22:57

The Fireplace Hood.

A curved piece of paper card was easy to do around a paintbrush handle, just to put a memory into it that sure helped me out upon this endeavour.

Plenty of thick white glue was put on. :eh: Core that's sure loaded up on there. said WingNut!
:sst: i suppose it does look like a smile? mentioned the Little Button. :mrgreen: Ya! i kinda like that,declared Mr Green with a wide grin full of teeth.

Put into place after the glue had become tacky to the finger touch.

A finger full of light pressure pushed it home to instant sticking!

A little cutting and trimming and it was folded and stuck down. :eh: That sure looked easy BB.

In reality these cast iron hoods were designed to stop smoke from bellowing into the rooms that they might occupy. :cowboy: That's right Pards, chipped in the Cowboy, who always sleeps in his boots.

:coffee: So my smile turned into something else? :read: especially after you lost all your teeth BB mentioned the well educated Bookworm. :eh: Where was that then? :coffee: Sorry i ain't going there.
:eh: Well you might find them if you did? :mrgreen: No WingNut BB,means you are Off Topic!
:eh: But how am i,while i am stood a standing here? :cowboy: i think this could go on all the lived long day!

After a couple a coats of my homemade quick drying paint the newly added piece of this cardboard jigsaw hardened off to the touch. :eh: What's the new ruler doing? :sst: it is being used as a small set square wingnut. :eh: Well i never! What's a set square? :mrgreen: Here we go again guys.

:coffee: Not really, i hope you have all enjoyed the light banter, and this presentation.
There is still plenty to do, so i'll see you perhaps next time.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Apr 2021, 09:24

:coffee: i made a mistake about the book sizes,they are actually 8 X 6mm.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 02 Apr 2021, 16:42

Beano Boy wrote::coffee: i made a mistake about the book sizes,they are actually 8 X 6mm.BB

That's because you used that ruler on the wrong side! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials