Tutorials

scratch - building with BB

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Oct 2021, 05:56

Michael, Remco and Peter. :thumbup: Thanks for commenting.

Gunnar, could easily write a book
or in mighty deed may have already?

Michael,
i worked for the M O D setting up productive lines within the world of heavy engineering.
i walked away from that over 40 years ago. :sst: time fly's

Now many years later i still cut paper card and finger occasionally.
:coffee: Although It is only a hobby tutorial. :eh: Drenched in blood.
:coffee: Stay safe. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Oct 2021, 18:32

Pushed against the shoulder of my table.

Super quick right angle grip!

The other side is pushed into gripping place.

A little later after all the pieces were looking the same, the next stage came into play as the tiny shelves were all glued into their upright place.

The last few shelving units from this batch were stuck into required shape, and relative close order with those already made and stacked up with books of all sizes.

i have a few old style books to print out later, including all those below.
It is merely a nostalgia trip on my part. :mrgreen: But fun!

:coffee: So lets go West for a short trip. :cowboy: Great guns in the morning.

The one above i had in 1961. A thing to treasure as it had fantastic art illustrations.

Image 1961

:coffee: Yes out of interest raised for the two that i'd printed out before and turned into tiny books, i managed to find all the Wild West Buffalo Bill Annuals.
The span was 1949 - 1961. i found 14 which i find confusing because the tally in years do not add up correctly. However i myself like a good mystery.

The first story is that one pertaining to the pig, and all these pages will be fresh printed out soon to be included in a tiny book. :eh: Share madness BB.

https://imgur.com/ltbhDMa :coffee: A Link to my silent film.

:eh: So what's next BB ? :coffee:
:coffee: What goes up and down but never moves ?
:cowboy: That's a good one. :eh: It is? :mrgreen: Sure it is Wingnut.
:eh: and bb,was injured on his today. :eh: What?

Be careful out there guys,and help others if you can.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 14 Oct 2021, 19:53

Real nice bookshelfs! And I like those covers of the Buffalo Bill books. Are these comic books?

Keep up the good work Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Oct 2021, 03:05

Yes Peter,they are all large hard back comic book annuals that were always bought for end of year presents.

i am keeping very busy hobby style working in spite of having had an entire free fall and tumble down my house stairs. :stressed: Only a few cuts and bruised ribs so i'm glad to still be in the land of the living. In spite of this awful accident i am still able to type away a few hours too.
The library now need some type of architraves facades,which i need to design, and yes a stair well too. Answer to my question is. 'Stairs go up and down but never move'. :eh: i guessed it.

What now follows are some rather cluttered in place samples. It takes me an hour to fill up three shelves, so that the books don't fall out when turned upside down.

My Silent Film Links Below

https://imgur.com/tNPS6en

https://imgur.com/g7SyxGj

:coffee: OK until the next one Bye for now. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Oct 2021, 20:44

Finely or not the day dawned upon my dreamy head and every bookcase was emptied out and the starkness of each was glossed over in varnish. It took me eight hours of peaceful relaxing to achieve the end result that i wanted.

All though not finished yet i realise that there are many an avenue
i could take them up and along. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Oct 2021, 20:55

This was shot before the tipping out part and the varnish came into play.

:mrgreen: BB, had to trim a picture down to size. the finished result which is seen above. :eh: Y ? asked Wingnut. :sst: it had something upside down.
:eh: A something upside down you say, but what's a something?
:mrgreen: Something that's not right. :eh: I never understand such things as not right upside down somethings. :sst: that's very true,replied the Little Button.
:mrgreen: Lets let BB, explain shall we? Asked Mr Green with a grin full of teeth.
:eh: O, well if we have to.

:coffee: OK, if you look at the photograph above one bookcase far right front, is upside down. :cowboy: It sure is. :sst: and yet the books stayed upright in an upside down position. :mrgreen: That's an oxymoron. :eh: an oxy what ?
:coffee: It is when two opposites meet in the same sentence that makes sense.
:eh: Not to me it don't.
:coffee: i know it is only tea,but a good cuppa is better than a bad one.

:coffee: As i prepare to cut into a new sheet of paper card, the blue print within my noggin will show me just how to form other parts.
:eh: O, my here we go again?

:coffee: Until the next one ,i hope that you will all come visit me pretty soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 28 Oct 2021, 20:51

Wonderfull library! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Oct 2021, 16:45

As another run of books skirt the unseen walls of such a strange place,
i Thank you Peter. :thumbup: The wedged in books stop them all from falling down upon all those lucky passing heads that might well be below them.

:mrgreen: There are still lots of things to do. :read: And also see.
:sst: very true bookworm, said the little button
:cowboy: Yes there is sure lots more to view. mentioned the Cowboy who for the first time since 1898 washed his feet. :coffee: And most certainly we all had pegs pinching upon our noses as we buried his old socks that Teddy Roosevelt had given him after the battle of San Juan Hill. :oops: A high metal pipe was sunk solid and deep enough upon the burial site, and flame was ignited to burn off the gas fumes. :eh: That's a very tall tale BB. :mrgreen: Well WingNut,it was a very tall hill.
:eh: Eh? :sst: and a very high standing tall metal pipe. :mrgreen: As the wind shifted and high above the first tree in the greenwood burst into flames BB said simply, 'Time for Plan B i think.'

:coffee: i hope you all return for a next time.
Until then take care out there. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 01 Nov 2021, 10:21

Could you use an library assistant and his dog? Lovely library. Reminds me a little of the antiqurian bookshop I worked in a long time ago No money but A LOT of books).
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Nov 2021, 01:29

Thank you guys for tapping upon the Like Button :thumbup: i sure do appreciate it.

Well Gunnar, you are the real deal being a most friendly Librarian with a bounding beautiful lucky dog.https://scontent-lcy1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=61A5CE1F

To save space some units will stand back to back to represent the real feel of this invisible place. :eh: Do we do invisible here on the Forum?
i am now working out the infrastructure plans for all those things which will go through, while others will travel up, down and some even side ways too.

:coffee: Gunnar, Antiqurian book shop sounds a good nostalgic place for piling up a few good to middling book memories.

For all visitors, if you would like to pull up a comfy chair by the fireside and do feel free to join our happy band of fellows here upon Benno's Figure Forum.

i hope 2 C every 1 real soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 13 Nov 2021, 09:52

I wasn't in this library for quiet a long time, so I am really impressed how huge it is actually!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Nov 2021, 12:25

Well thank you Jan,i'm glad you and others have popped along into this comic book space to view the jumble-jambling aspect of this invisible walled out space. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Nov 2021, 12:53

The Double Sided Archway of Books

A simple affair that will clinker, and clink just like thick plastic Lego bricks when painted. It is amazing just how strong paper card can turn out.
:mrgreen: BB, could put this one on the Honey Well, railway layout. :sst: with thomas and friends passing at full steam ahead under it. :eh: I don't know what they are talking about as i have never seen such a railway.

The structure will be 6 CM wide.
So with the shelves all marked out the start of assembly can now begin. Having never made an archway for little books, i'm once more upon the cutting edge of failure again. :eh: I'mmm.

:coffee: Stay safe and yes help others if you can.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Nov 2021, 01:51

Having bought cheap brushes for gluing up paper card pieces way back in 2016,this one i chose especially from my stash, because it is a flat sided brush and is ideal for this type of work.
The first thing i did was to wash the brush so any loose hairs were removed.

Those above are much taller than those shown before and each one should house well over four hundred of my books.

Before any gluing up could take place i needed to fix tight the brush because they always have loose fittings very likely to drop off into my glue. Of course i have learnt through the years of toy construction to render safe that rather annoying fault.

White waterproof glue was applied to the inside.

The brush handle tip was likewise glued up too.

I let the glue dry tacky to both parts then pushed the stick into its metal housing and the result was instant contact bonding of the two parts. Then i pinched it super tight with just one grip, because there was no need to do more.

Fit enough for use straight away.

The parts were glued up then let go dry tacky and would then be placed upon the under side of the paper card. So when finely cut out the tough facing paper would be upon each side,and ready for scribing out with my trusty ball point Bic Pen.
:eh: Why? :coffee: To create look through avenues of books from all sides. :mrgreen: Well that sounds interesting BB. :sst: interestingly bb,was brought up upon an avenue of pink hawthorn trees and friendly chatting council houses. :mrgreen: Is there some kind of psychology at work here? :eh: You mean is BB mad? :cowboy: No, no, he's just totally different from everybody else.
:eh: Talking houses indeed. :sst: and talking smilies too.

:mrgreen: Plonk ! Plonk ! :thumbup: The old heavy books were then placed to squeeze them tight knit together overnight and avoid them bending during drying out.

:coffee: Until the next one, be sure to stay safe. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Nov 2021, 09:05

This shows a few double sided brackets that i'll need front and back of the arches as they are formed. These will provide a good sticking width when gluing up the arch.

With scratch building there is always scrap paper card to use for tiny bits and pieces one needs. :coffee: i throw nothing away. So all the new shelves needed will also be from scrap card. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Dec 2021, 10:05

i'm way behind on this my hobby style work,but it took ages to amass the bits and pieces needed before actually building anything. So this long and winding post now focuses upon my first ever walk through book shelf. :eh: We are Bonkers! :mrgreen: Sure we are that makes for even more fun. :sst: it most certainly does. :cowboy: You're darn tooting it does. :coffee: So lets get to it.

Double sided scribing out.

These taller archways have two extra shelving levels. So i can construct the book shelves on both sides that will form the required shape. All guide line are left exposed so i can see them with my poor eyesight, once sticking into place time arrives.

The smaller arches.

The other side now needs marking and then scribing out and of course painting.These combined units will house well over 3,000 books. So it will be another long haul cutting the parts needed, but at least the 8,000 plus books i've made should make this topic sparkle a wee bit with eight look through avenues of 3 D tiny book shelves.

Sure with paper card it can be cut to size and painted, but once scribed out it has been given a depth of character, and a worthwhile appeal for a few eyes to gander a few looks upon.

It only takes a few seconds to form a sprawling deep set pattern with an empty pen or if needs dictate a full one too.

The deep ridge lines actually helps strengthen the double sided paper card when the paint and varnish are applied.

:coffee: A large part of my Sunday, was spent cutting the mass planking i need.
:mrgreen: Strip of paper becomes. :sst: a something else. :eh: It do? :cowboy: They sure do. :eh: Like what? :read: well like something else.
:eh: O dear me,i can never understand BB's somethings! :winky: Tough!

The first sample side fell together like planned it was very fiddley to do,
due to P T S D, however the scratch building hobby exercise rewards far out weigh any awkwardness endured from that growing disorder,

Showing the first stage of the scratch build on the other side.

These two pieces were cut out and are for forming the archway. Each was scribed out on both sides, and this made it easier to bend.

Sloping edges were cut using a sharp pointed blade in my craft knife.

Rolled on my metal craft knife handle to gain the nice curve needed.

Now we see the use for the brackets!

There was no dire need to hold these pieces in place, because i let the P V A Waterproof Glue go tacky to the touch, i then added more glue to them and pressed each cut out; rolled paper card into place. The result instant bonding on contact. Why the wet glue? Simple it gives a good sealing to the edges as each was pressed home tight into correct place.

Touching up and painting began soon after the quick fix.

The brackets were set a little way in to add interest to the eye rather than having them flat with each edge.

So this is the first smaller sample nearly finished,i will bring the other three up to speck. Meaning reaching this point of construction, then i'll address scratch building the taller sections of this endeavour.

:coffee: Until the next one,cheary bye!
PS,Stay safe,and help others if you can. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 09 Dec 2021, 10:33

That's a real nice bookshelf Paul! I like it a lot! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Dec 2021, 22:52

Thank you Peter, :thumbup: your comment is very welcome.

Some thicker books for deeper thinkers will be added to lots of dusty old shelving as it slowly risers higher and higher to new heights.
:mrgreen: That's right BB, ' said Mr green.' because up is free space. :eh: 'Not outer space?' cried out Wingnut!' :sst: 'no,no. there's enough junk floating around the earth now.' said the Forums little button. :cowboy: 'I betcha anyone could make us smilies chin-wag a talk?'
:read: 'Of course they could if they got to know us all first.' rang out the highly educated Book Worm.
:coffee: 'Well he most certainly has gotten a black ink taste for it. ' said,safe and sound enough little Me.
:sst: just think of all those unread thoughts and talks within so many books? :mrgreen: Like the one taken out for viewing below!

'But , did BB's library really exist?'
'Of course Dear, that's where i borrowed this book.'

:coffee: Sometimes even a little kindness given does you good.
So help others if you can. i'll see you all on the next one. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 11 Dec 2021, 07:20

Beautiful designed bookshelf, Paul. The round edges are the cherry on the cake!. I am looking forward to see it full of books.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Dec 2021, 12:27

Many thanks Jan,
i'm glad you liked the design.

Yes there will be books a plenty to tumble a jumble upon a little later. I can see in my minds eye how improvement can be made on the next one too, and i think it well worth taking stock of all ideas as they arrive in my head. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials