Tutorials

scratch - building with BB

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Apr 2021, 13:47

The drawing was mapped out lightly , it being the third from last part needed on this 28mm scale scratch build. Before fetching my not so trusty knife to it,the outer edge was coated in p v a white glue,and after running my thumb over it ,it dried out instantly. This tip avoids the paper splitting up into layers when cut out. It is a simple thing to do affording hardly any time doing it. Once cut out this tiny part can have the glue on the other rough cut areas too. Avoiding not having to draw and cut out another.

It will be stuck at the very top of the chimney breast under the canopy now having been fixed tight in place.
But all that meets the eye,may not be the case.

This Special Recon Imperial Dalek, has stumbled upon the trail that leads all the way up to the very top of this scratch build and far beyond. :sst: i wonder what, or indeed who will turn up next ? Asked the Little Forum Button who never speaks in capitals.

:coffee: As i sip the Coffee of my youth, i'll see you on the next one. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 04 Apr 2021, 07:34

This will be a great piece of furniture.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Apr 2021, 17:19

Thank you Jan, for your comment. :thumbup:

Sir Percy's entire staff, is waiting starry-eyed for the installation of that heavy black thing, but that is ok because it being 1899 people had lots more patience waiting for up to date feet toasting things to be installed.

And so it was that Miss Stella Nibwell Inkhorn, the small house keeper seemed fit enough to raise a pleasant smile just at the right time as the camera clicked! She the little lady felt wonderfully well after a 28 day illness. Yes Stalla,could return her gaze to the stars and bars above that fluttered in the breeze of great change to come. One could say she felt fit as the proverbial fiddle, even though never having had any inclination whatsoever in playing it to the tune of others. :mrgreen: i kinda like her name. :eh: I wonder if Remco,will ?

i sort of put this down as a Test Shot Failure, because of the rubbish painting. However the picture does have a certain charm about it and has seemed to have grown in my re-estimation of it. Now i am awaiting stainless steel dress makers pins to arrive hopefully soon. Then i can finish another end wall decoration.

:coffee: and yes it was Old Glory. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Apr 2021, 17:45

Is that male figure meant to be one of the famous Inklings by any chance?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Apr 2021, 18:46

No,he is in fact, Sir Percy Nots G Nivil, discoverer of strange new worlds. A Time Traveler! Written of in my Novel The Jungle Photograph... Novel Finding Percy...and The Adventures of Trig... The last two are ongoing.

Miss Stella Nibwell Inkhorn
She would be eventually related to the Nibwell family of the 1920's New York U S A. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Apr 2021, 18:53

Both the fireplace, cupboards and book shelves are nearly finished.
:cowboy: What if the Rifleman returns home to find that wall covered in wood and cast-iron...
:sst: and doesn't like it?
:mrgreen: Tough! He will have to lump it.
:eh: What's a lump it? asked WingNut.
;-) Well it means, if you are not satisfied you 've just got to put up with it.
:eh: What, i would have to put up with a Lump it!
:coffee: No WingNut, it is just a Metaphysical expression.
:eh: Boy! i'm glad you cleared that up BB.
:sst: cleared what up? Asked the little button.
:eh: Well that ,'Meta4 lump it', that's what.

:coffee: As i sip my Mothers best Coffee,lets move on.

Outside in the garden i see by the camera shot i needed to pay attention to the fireplace hood of cast-iron ,and also stick the metal fender over the upright fire grate.

The curve has been much more refined by using the edge of my Bic pen in a rubbing motion back and forth from the other side of the fireplace. Off to the top right is a little bit of glue white which can be painted over after i have determined the next coat of colours.

illustration only using a T Light , i will wire a tiny wee light in, taken from my railway stash!

:coffee: Take good care of yourselves guys. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 07 Apr 2021, 12:23

That is going to be a wonderfull fireplace! Where can I place my seat? ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Apr 2021, 01:50

Thank you Peter for commenting. :thumbup:

My dress makers pins arrived today so i'll add those needed handles to make it pop!

:coffee: Come Visit it is Story Time
It is icey cold outside and the weather is whipping in its fearsome blast. but The little end house with low picket fence sits snug upon the round avenue of thorny Hawthorn Tree's. Within 67 Shorncliffe Ave,the fire is through and so white hot without even a hint of smoke.The welcome glow of it all means that humbly yes i'll take you all back with me to the mid 1950's. i am 6 years old ,so yes pull up a cosy soft lined chair and imagine you are toasting slabs of rough cut bread in front of that fire or even under it,in order to smother each with butter, melted cheese or magic thick cut marmalade. All this enjoyed with Camp Coffee or even sweet hot builders Tea.

The ash box can be removed and the bread and cheese grilled beneath the hot coals of the fire a little white ash certainly added to the flavour.

This being my own memory of childhood winter nights of long ago with my dear Mother Grace Liddy, and my older brother by five years Ronny. With the helping hands of Mother we had made our very own toasting forks from twisted fence wire, but you can of course use mine. Please do not get burnt!

The clock upon the iron mantelpiece ticks away your allotted time and chimes the half past and quarter hours too, It also dongs out each and every hour upon the power stored up within its inside metal coiled spring. The central light affixed to the high ceiling without a shade is of a low subdued yellow, and shadows cast from each of our unrushed happy movements add to the scene where we sit comfy by the glow of that lovely warm fire, while upon the polished side board, our rounded top radio of glass valves sits and plays the old fashioned music of even further former times ,while it all drifts in and out of tune and whistles along with such a strange humming Throb. Heavy eyes become sleepy around 8 o clock, and while the BBC News is being read out, i'm off to my bed of my dreams to come.

Of course only the BB in my future knows of your visit, or even how you arrived and definitely when you left ... and not at all little i. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Apr 2021, 17:36

My varnish is very reasonable in price and especially how it dries real quick, and the little jar will last for ages when compared to that stuff in spray cans that could burn and choke a lung out at the same time.

So i prefer to use a small paint brush and the varnish which i highly recommend and they are cool to use for any artist author of small doll house type furniture that will last for years.

Although i need a time piece for that high cast iron mantel, the tiny row upon row of tiny books will be added real soon.

i flipped this photograph which is not at all cheating because both sides are equal to each other,and anyway it was fun to do.

Dressing up the old walls is next and making the mantel clock.
So i hope some might find that interesting. And Golly Gosh! i nearly forgot
more great looking books are upon the way, but with a slight stacking up difference.
:coffee: So until the next one, take care. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 08 Apr 2021, 19:30

Looking good with this fine paintjob!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Peter on 08 Apr 2021, 21:53

It looks better and better!
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Apr 2021, 20:00

It has been a long haul,having only a rather short time for my hobby each day. :mrgreen: Was it complicated to do? :coffee: Not really because if you look at it ,it is only a box.

However guys there it sits clipped into that end wall and it looks just as i imagined in my mind eye. The two loose hallway walls were removed in order take the photograph. i am therefore very glad that i never stuck those into their well measured place.

By doing a little piece each day over nearly a month,it certainly fell up into place rather than shattering down in paper dust. The editing involved took most of the time out of each of my days,but then tutorials demand more dedication to scratch-building projects than is usual in the hobby. Anyway i find keeping my mind focused upon several things that i do constantly each and every day has left no time over to be suffering from pandemic fatigue!

:coffee: As always thank you Peter and Jan, :thumbup: :thumbup: for your kind comments.

The next easy little people project is fully underway. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 09 Apr 2021, 22:13

What a fabulous creation! Thanks for sharing your process with us.

How the world has changed from the mid-50s until now. What a magical glimpse into the past, when BB was the same age as my oldest boy is today. He has slightly different entertainments, but perhaps I will see if he likes rough cut toast smothered in butter and a thick layer of marmalade...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Apr 2021, 23:31

Bluefalchion,i thank you for commenting. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 10 Apr 2021, 08:02

And I have the impression of a young boy sitting in front of this fireplace and building the old Aifix sets. Without worries in the here and now...
MABO  Europe

Posted by Peter on 10 Apr 2021, 12:33

MABO wrote:And I have the impression of a young boy sitting in front of this fireplace and building the old Aifix sets. Without worries in the here and now...

Or playing with some toy soldiers! ;-)

The final result is wonderfull! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Dad's Army on 10 Apr 2021, 14:44

looking great Paul, but be careful because the heating can still be hot!
always a pleasure to see these handmade projects of you!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dykio on 10 Apr 2021, 14:57

HiPaul,

I must confess that i dont reply on al of your post... just because there a so many of them :-D but i do always look at them. and his topic was realy fun to follow and also to learn from. And the result, especially now with the books in place is realy amazing. Increadible what can be achieved with some paper, glue, paint, patience but most of al skills and imagination :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Kekso on 10 Apr 2021, 18:36

That bookshelf is :love:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Apr 2021, 02:26

Dykio, :thumbup:
Remco, :thumbup:
Peter, :thumbup:
Jan, :thumbup:
and Dalibor :thumbup:

Thank U 4 commenting upon this conclusion it has been a long haul reaching this point. Being rather poorly i intend to concentrate on more features within the old cottage. i 'll most certainly will be working at producing my own individual book system so i am really looking forwards to that.

i Googled open book covers because each single book cover must fold up around a wedge of paper,or indeed stay opened up perhaps upon a table. I have developed a system whereby i reduce the books down to the scale that i need and Mrs B,will get the Printer to spit them out. i have many book covers on file now but far too many to SPAM this place with them.

Inspired by book comment from Bluefalchion! :thumbup:

The first reduction in size is shown above, however i need them a lot smaller.

It is getting there to my requirement, but smaller still is needed.

This is looking good and i'll ask Mrs B, to run off a sample from our Printer.

i found many covers of books open.

These need another half reduction a something i have now found an easer way to do it.

Pictures can be likewise reduced down.
:coffee: Until the next one stay safe,stay well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials