Tutorials

Pinning Airfix Drummer`s

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Mar 2017, 19:48

It has been years since I did one of these walking, reading, hot pinning, plastic sticking, type fixing of problems especially this 58 year old fault in these tiresome Drummers. Well they certainly wore me out trying to stick them because the drum being round there was very little part of it touching the figure.

Plan A was to paint the figures first then fix the drum_________ a big BIG! EROR!
So plan B, involves pins and greenstuff.

To fix those drums in place.

There is still glue on one figure applied, applied and applied, until whoever that person was gave up on the trying to stick the tiny darn things on,and eventually the box came my way via E Bay! :mrgreen:

Two sets in the plastic bag.

The fault being the fact the holes are to large and the plastic peg to small and way to short on the drums. So I`m going to fill the hole with plastic,cut the peg off the drum an hot pin a hole into it. I have done this type of hot pinning hundreds of times,but this time I intend to place a pin into the hole in the figure. It will be placed pinhead first in the hole and the the hole will be filled in with green-stuff! So it will be well anchored into place.

When the green-stuff is hard I`ll shorten the pin so the drums will perfectly fit good and tight upon it . That`s the plan. :-D

Part two will show the results. Thanks for looking. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 31 Mar 2017, 08:15

The most boring thing under a soundcheck is when they try to get the drums right! It is imortant, I understand that, but I can't hear the difference between "paff" and "paph". Very nice that you show all these oldies figures!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Apr 2017, 01:35

A small tiny piece of sticky green stuff was placed on each pin head.
These in turn were pushed home into the hole and all the pins were grounded really well into place.
Then the rest of each hole was filled in around the pin with more green stuff which held them perfectly well.With every drummer now sporting a wicked metal point, they were put aside until the new plastic hardened tough and very strong.

Instead of the hot pinning method I mentioned,i found I could easily force the pin into the hard plastic. The pin laying on the large drum shows just how far in the pin has penetrated.
These pins will be removed as they have formed a good guide hole in each drum.
So after each pin in each figure is cut to required length, each drum will simply push into place very tightly!

Then the painting can begin on my 15 Drummers.
I wish I had thought to do this with my first set of figures painted but we best learn from our errors.
This reference guide will be held here to aid any repair and repainting work on the AIRFIX Drummers.
Is it important? __________Only if you have some and would like the tiny drums to stay on.

Part Three
Will show each drum fitted tight and each fine upstanding figure ready for their first drum role.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Apr 2017, 01:42

Thank you Gunnar,it is interesting what you mention about those drum beats. I my self am tone deaf to musical styles,however I know what I like,and can "Hum a happy toon", while I paint away the twilight hours.
Do you still play to the public? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Apr 2017, 16:49

Well it worked out as planned,the pins were cut super glue applied and all the drums fitted.

Another job done and dusted! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 03 Apr 2017, 07:33

Stopped playing some years ago. One guitarplayer left, his replacement died, his replacement didn't want to join fulltime, our singer left, and me and the drummer couldn't agree on what music we should play. And the missus got worse in her MS and we got a dog that didn't like guitars. Valter do like guitar-playing, but now I have other priorities. Trying to paint is one of them. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Apr 2017, 11:02

Thanks Gunnar. Such staves of change often reshape our priorities in life,that`s for sure.
Valter your wonder dog! A Star from Face Book. :thumbup:

Getting back to the AIRFIX drums they were pegged out far to high,and I forgot to mention that I lowered them by 2mm to give a more authentic touch ,and these guys now look as if they are able to beat out their march with relative ease. A twist conversion on the arms is possible, and will animate more the drum beat style.
It is now this topic has successfully reached its end.BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Tutorials