Tutorials

Egyptain Ruins

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Jul 2015, 23:34

Just look what Fred & MayBell have found.

Now theres nearly pair of them.

But who`s feet are these ? Watch this space please,because the work is ongoing and elevated upwards that will eventualy answer that question. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jul 2015, 16:23

Ramesses II Wears the double Crown of Upper & Lower Egypt.

His feet that Fred and MayBell discovered will eventually be set into a slab. Until then they are fixed in place,and the sitting pose of the legs have been created. Some slight cracks, but nothing that causes concern. On stuff like this there`s no need to tidy up every detail,and the rougher it all looks the better to capture shadows during a photo shoot.
The next thing to make is the lower part of the throne,and I`ll use simple off cuts of card to form this and it will hold the sides up while the plaster is being poured.

"What on earth is this MayBell?"
"Well Fred,I think it`s BB`s mould for whatever it is he`s making."
" Geeeeeeeee,it sure is black! " Yes, it sure is Fred,and this might well be the oddest thing he`s ever made. MayBell,I wonder what the outcome will be?

As we leave Fred, who was once a Dalek,and MayBell who in part has never been fully revealed.
Time Alone will answer that question. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jul 2015, 14:33

Above as he was.

I left the work needed on the throne until later. The main thing is I`ve got him sitting.

I added extra muscle to each arm at the elbow to give the right measurements for Rammasses II, sitting down. Later this will be cleaned up with plaster and water. Finally the chest and arms were fixed in place, and left over night to dry out.

Today Sunday 19/07/2015.

Ah! Yes, Magic,the Royal Head and neck is fixed onto the shoulders,and the next step is to work on the back of the head,the Double Crown,and the stripped cloth headdress ,and round over the shoulders.
He will probably have his face bashed in like others I have made. The feet will be replaced later with ones with a slight sloop from the front to the heel. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Jul 2015, 13:01

At present he has had another face stuck on behind that forms the double crown at the back. If you look at the photo below the back of the throne will cover that face from site.

Lego Bricks in place in order to pour the stone throne.

After the pour,the Lego Bricks were removed.

So the next work to do, is build up the back section of the throne and the wall that sloops upwards from the double crown .
Fully committed now to finish this oddity: a fantasy for an unwritten story ,there will be lots of reshaping work carried out once he`s complete. 15mm figures and 6mm figures would be perfect to use ,but I won`t be able to See E`m Ta Paint E`m Up! So I guess 20 mm will just have to do. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jul 2015, 11:12

I took this picture as it stands in the shadow,because its dark outline will define the shape of the musles in the legs,arms and shoulders that I have taken from being very flat to one whereby plaster has and still is being applied by brush to round them off.

Applying Plaster of Paris while still in its wet runny state means small amounts are mixed up at a time,and it is just painted on where the building up and rounding off work is required. It sets up quickly as the water is sucked up into the dry plaster. There is no need for glue to be used at this stage because I am not sticking heavy pieces together, but painting the wet stuff on in thin stages.

These two shots above shows the crudeness of the plaster, and here the the lower shape of the arms will be caved with a sharp craft knife,and the shape of the hand likewise will be more clearly defined. Below each arm the garment worn will be further worked on,by applying plaster as already described, and so his bottom will be seen as sitting on his throne.

This shot shows the first applied rounding off work done to the knees and legs. More of a sag in the garment between the knees was also made.
The large brush I did not use,I just picked up one in order to point,in way of illustration only.

The shoulders have and are still being built up and rounded off. The lines between the flat cast parts have been filled in ,in this process of all this work. In the picture I left the lines where the head was fixed in place as a reminder of what these lines looked like.

So taking from the flat,and turning it into 3 D,hopefully a shape that most can identify with is slowly taking place.

The next stage using water and my greatest tools_________________my fingers and thumbs. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jul 2015, 18:39

Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jul 2015, 00:59

The first figure I eventually made was a learning curb,and as I started work on another I realised it would be easier to make the four needed at the same time. This means I can pour the base and the throne for each double set of figures using the same Lego Box.
By mixing up Plaster of Paris with water and PVA Glue added I was able to fix first the legs of each figure on,and lining them up the angle was easy to obtain. So each is the same. The plaster and glue watered down mix gave me plenty of time needed to work on all four figures,one after the other. It being the case the glue acted as a plasticiser, but eventually it went hard as rock. One can achieve the same plasticity by adding a drop of washing up liquid to the mix. Soon the body and heads were fixed on rather quickly using the same mix, and again the angle was made the same for all the figures by lining them up. The feet will be fixed on next and the double brick moulding box will be made using Lego bricks,then the base,and throne can be cast up.

Napoleonic figures and Egyptian ruins as props certainly will work together.

So I`m also working on some of these seen in the photo,and hopefully all the casting up on four projects I have ongoing will be finished by Monday.So Mrs B, will not have little old Me a shuffling about with wet plaster,or creating clouds of dust or dusty floors. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 30 Jul 2015, 08:58

Great progress. Very impressiv reconstruction of the past. I also like the pictures of the frenchmen in Egypt. Where have you found them?
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jul 2015, 12:26

Jan I was searching pictures on Pinterest a few days ago and came across the picture of the French soldiers.

As for this topic probably the last one of its kind,I wanted to achieve a 3 D Image using flat parts from a Playmobil Toy which is in my Toy Collection. These simple patterns allowed the making of crude moulds,that were cast up. Each casting broken up and used to create a crude 3 D Statue.

Always there is the question Why? Well on due consideration of such a topic as this,I had thought it to be an impossibility ! That for me was my own analytical mind challenge. In this there is no great mystery,or vanity involved. Logicaly thinking although deeply flawed at times, especially with me, made me realise that this project after all was and still is, Just another Toy Puzzle! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 07 Aug 2015, 12:45

Great work Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Aug 2015, 03:28

I tried to buy my Sphinx`s ,but my order was refused. I have never come across a Seller that is willing to lose a large order on E Bay before. So I decided to show this picture below as proof. I contacted the Seller, and buyers are only allowed to buy 10 Items. So I placed this fact on the Feedback for the items I did buy.

This is a Large Posting, because after weeks of work things are finally coming together.
The mould that helped produce these can be viewed on my Oyumaru Mould topic.

The backs are cast up too and the front of each statue was laid in place just after casting up while the plaster was still wet. This ment time was saved by not having to glue each one in place.

With the Lego Bricks laid,and the first stone pillar is cast up with the statue imbedded into the mix. The statue was place into the oblong box and the plaster was simply poured in. The statue stands ruffly 26 foot high and the Pillar 36 foot high. 28mm Scale

This will be my version of similar galleries found in Egypt.

Above: drying out on my Sci-Fi table.

The avenue of 40 Sphinx`s is in ongoing production,and which is based on those seen in Egypt at Karnak Luxor.

As things now take shape I hope you will follow along to see more.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Aug 2015, 11:57

Bases cast up. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Aug 2015, 18:29

The sphinx is given its first wash.

A Homemade Wash that soaks in nicely and dries waterproof in seconds.

The Mix: A Good Dollop of Waterproof PVA Glue & the rest Mostly Water with a dip of black emulsion paint stirred in makes for a Fine Cheap Wash that acts as a Good Primer too. A Desert Sand colour to be dry brushed on next, and then white added to the same paint for dry brushing highlights.
The colour will also be highlighted artificially too,by the use of tiny coloured uplights. Hopefully creating some good shadows too along the Temple Columns. Now I`m off to give the other 31 Sphinxes the same Wash.

I am looking through my Collection of Toy animals, in order to convert another line of Sphinxes into likenesses of those in the picture above. Best soft brush forward. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 15 Aug 2015, 19:51

When do you open your shop with Egyptian artefacts???

Need some for a diorama! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Aug 2015, 20:40

Clearing Up by Beano Boy

Well Peter,I am working very hard on other stuff,and every spare minute that I can grab is spent on getting plastered or covered in white powder while doing this project. I must admit clearing up is quite boring, but I do have a very Large Brush!

And unlike dusty me,it is a very bright brush indeed.

"Just look at the state of my hands,Mrs B."____ "Yes Paul, but you keep on sweeping!"

"Righty O` Mrs B."

I had a nice E- Mail requesting castings ,but declined on Legal Reasons. Anyway my mediocre efforts at mould making and casting up is not really something very much desired. I take pride in showing how to do it,but realise everyones results will be uniquely different ,and hopefully much better than what I produce. A Diorama sounds Good Peter,but If you need Sphinx`es they can be bought on E Bay for £1.79 in British Pounds,which is very cheap. But you can only buy 10 items.
That's why I`m slugging my dusty guts out making all mine. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 16 Aug 2015, 19:28

Haha! You get what you deserve! :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Aug 2015, 23:04

Hi Guys,as you could see I was a dab hand Veteran with the Brush.

A rather silent version of my rather rustic dusty work is on my Google profile, and on You Tube. It ain`t going to win any Oscar,but who needs one when I have lots of Egyptain Columns to view,and use as door stops.

Yes my 5 foot table is filling up,and here can be seen a small fraction of my castings.

Today it`s Trimming and Scribing .
Which entails mainly removing mould lines from the sphinx`es before the primer wash is applied.

I`ll take my leave with showing Fred and MayBell Snooping around my table. BB

They are ruff castings,but with the use of a sharp craft knife they are soon cleaned up.

As you can see perfect is not my aim, but perfectly adequate for my needs is.

Soon the cross sections like those seen in the photo, of heavy stone which my columns will support can be made. So another simple mould to make, and my choose, "Is it to be made of Rubber or the Black Stuff? "

The next day

WE LIVE AND LEARN

As it turned out I just made an oblong Form using Lego Bricks, and stuck Sellotape on the inside and the bottom of the bricks. This avoids the pressure of the pouring pushing the plaster through tiny gaps, and into the inside of the bricks. There was a heck of a lesson learnt recently the hard way because I cast some bases up using Lego, and it took over three hours cutting and poking the stuff out from the bricks with a sharp craft knife.

So lined with Sellotape avoids this. No need to dismantle the Brick Form either the casting was just evenly pushed out with my thumbs onto my table. Box was good to go for the next cast up too.

I`ll take my leave now with showing Fred and MayBell snooping around my table. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2015, 10:46

This is the photo showing the stone cross sections. I replaced it again because the original picture was corrupted and another put in its place. Caused by Cross Wired Gremlins on tinypics. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Aug 2015, 22:25

As the daylight gradually faded, and shadows fell across my table,there was time enough to take a quick shot of the abstract work carried out so far.
Yesterday saw me casting up the large bases,and again the Lego Bricks were used to make the required forms. Sellotape & blu tac aided the work too. Today I cast up the thrones and the statues now sit upon their rightful place. The finer work of scribing,rubbing down , of buffing up ,and of making mistakes along the way will be done much later after the drying period has run its course. Next stage is to define the sloop cut into the massive rock face,and cast that up,and also bring the rockface down so the whole thing is locked into place with the open entrance in the middle.

Above my highly organized casting up table of complete and utter chaos,and if there be such a chaos theory set into place then it must surely apply here,in my simple constructive way of reasoning. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by louis on 03 Sep 2015, 16:15

Very, very impressive !
I bought (no sorry... Santa Claus brought) the Playmobil pyramid for my son... Now I know what I have to do...
Thanks for sharing your skills !
:love: 8) :headbang:
louis  France

Next page

Return to Tutorials