Tutorials

Shrink plastic usage

Posted by Duke atreides on 26 May 2013, 23:11

I recently discovered this stuff and immediately started thinking about using it in my works...
If you don't know this "Shrink plastic", I recommend the Youtube videos to learn how to use it and more about the process.

First results are wheels. Not very detailed (no detail at all!) but they can be used...

This thing comes in sheets, some may be printed (inkjet). This one I got do not.
I printed some wheels with different sizes and made a copy by overlaying with the plastic sheet.
ImageImage

Cutting with scissors isn't the best option but I did it anyway...
I made 2 sizes: 2 of them about 4,7cm and other two were 5,5 cm. They... shrink (about 7 times(?)).

What you see in the next pictures is the result after "baking". Smaller but thicker and rigid wheels.
Those of 4,7 cm were too small, and I had one problem with that other wheel... I broke the smaller ones apart and used the center to improve the ones I would use.
ImageImage
You can compare the result of the 5,5cm wheel with a cannon wheel (black) from an Italeri napoleonic set. The cannon wheel is bigger!

After this, I primed and painted as I wanted as any other plastic kit!
Again, the process of "baking" may distort the wheels, and all parts will get the same thickness. So, if you want something with detail, forget it!
ImageImageImage
Duke atreides  Portugal

Posted by armpcm on 27 May 2013, 08:37

Nice 8) just have to find the time to try this :scratch:
armpcm  Portugal

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Return to Tutorials