Tutorials

Roco Armored Car

Posted by Bunkermeister on 27 May 2012, 06:16

I have been working on upgrading my collection of Roco 234/1 armored cars and 234/3 armored cars. This kit is at least 40 years old and many of mine are at least 25 years old. Some I got new, and some I got used. I did an inventory and discovered I have 84 in my collection. I checked the TO&E for these vehicles and found they have three platoons of 234/1 with six per platoon and one HQ vehicle plus six 234/3 for a total of 25 armored cars in a company. I have enough for over three companies, and with only one company per DIVISION I have rather more than I intended.

So I have been looking for things to do with them. I first converted four of them to the late war 234/4 armored car with the PaK 40. They made just over 80 of them but few divisions had more than 4 of them. As the recon companies were facing more and more Soviet armor the old 234/3 just was not up to the task. I also discovered they had at least one and perhaps as many as 5 with a Luchs turret. So I got a resin Luchs turret and put it on. Easy conversion.

One of my 234 had a fixed turret and a frame antenna. I got it used in a collection. I have no evidence it was ever used in this configuration, but it looked cool, so I am keeping it. I may use it as a divisional command vehicle or perhaps some kind of air / ground Luftwaffe vehicle. I also built one with a winch and crane, without a turret. I plated it over like they did with some Panzer III, Panzer IV, and Panther tanks. I figure it is not an unreasonable conversion. In Paper Panzers II I found a short article that said they intended to make a 234 with an intermediate length barrel with the same characteristics as the PaK 40, but a shorter casing, that was thicker with the same powder charge. I found some evidence they actually made one, and they may have made a few more, but I doubt it. I plan on making a few of these, maybe two or four.

So far it looks like at least three of my 234 will be junk. They are warped, broken, or missing too many parts to be usable. That's okay, but what parts they do have will be put to work. I am using extra wheels to add spare tires to my 234's. I am also using Plastruct plastic coated wire to make bumpers for them. I am also putting as many gas cans, and such on them that I can spare.

I have posted photos of this work on my blog and more will appear as I get the project finished over the next few weeks. The Roco 234 is an old vehicle, but it cleans up okay.

Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
http://bunkermeister.blogspot.com/
Bunkermeister  United States of America

Return to Tutorials