General

A Visit in the Past: Hausser Elastolin

Posted by MABO on 06 Mar 2023, 20:57

Before I started collecting 1/72 figures, I also had a collection of Elastolin figures from Hausser from my childhood. This company has a long history and I'm sure some of you know the figures and the history.

In 1910, the company began producing parlour games and mass-produced figures. These mostly represented soldiers and other war toys and were made from a pulp consisting of sawdust, casein, glue and kaolin with wire frames in tin moulds. First the mush was put into pewter moulds, which were then joined together and pressed under heat. After deburring, the figures were painted. The brand name "Elastolin" used by Hausser was soon used colloquially beyond Germany as a generic name for mass-produced figures by other manufacturers. At the beginning of the 1930s, the annual production of figurines was around 500,000; by the end of the decade it had risen to over 3 million. Hausser employed up to 1000 people in Neustadt bei Coburg in Franconia and was the town's largest employer. In 1943, toy production had to be stopped, and it was not resumed until 1946/47.

After Hausser had already increasingly produced figures from easier-to-process and more stable plastics, the company discontinued the production of traditional mass-produced figures altogether in 1969.

After many successful years, sales declined and O. & M. Hausser KG had to file for bankruptcy on 29 June 1983 due to financial difficulties. Rising raw material prices, customers turning away from war toys and competition from the more versatile products of Playmobil had all contributed to the decline. Brand rights and figure moulds were taken over by the company Paul M. Preiser GmbH from Steinsfeld near Rothenburg ob der Tauber. The hard plastic figures in 1:25 scale are still produced by this company today. (Wikipedia)

A business trip now took me for the first time to the town where the figures were made, which I collected with so much joy and enthusiasm. So I was able to take a look at the closed factory. Seeing it abandoned like this was sad but also a bit romantic. :oops:

MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 06 Mar 2023, 21:04

Nice! And today I have seen a catalogue of Elastolin of the year 1973 on FB. Great figures. I remember that these figures were shown behind a window in the toy shop and I could only look at them because I didn't had the money at that time to buy them. ;-)

Don't know if this works but here is the link to that FB page: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=57 ... 4400170152
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Peter on 06 Mar 2023, 21:12

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 06 Mar 2023, 21:27

It works! Thanks Peter!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Dad's Army on 06 Mar 2023, 22:05

How cool to find this old place, thanks for sharing Jan
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 07 Mar 2023, 09:41

Fascinating! Thanks very much for sharing this individual research and the pictures of the old factory. These fine old buildings surely have potential for a new lease of life, if not making miniature models then at least some other good use.

'Elasolin' is a name I know from the old days of toy soldiers, although I don't think I ever owned any of their products: here in the UK Britains, Timpo etc tended to be the brands of 'larger' (1/32 and 54mm) that were regularly stocked in toy shops. Plus of course the great range of Airfix 1/32 figures.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Mar 2023, 10:53

Wow! Huge thanks Jan. I think a pal's dad had one Elastolin-figure made from that pulp. It was very brittle and almost disintegfrated just you looked at it. I think it was a mounted native american chief, but it's almost 50 years since .... wait a minute .... they moved 73! ... it is more than 50 years since I saw it. It was very nice to have seen that old figure though.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Santi Pérez on 07 Mar 2023, 20:54

Thank you for sharing, Jan. I never knew or owned those figures, but it's always interesting to learn new things about our hobby. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to General