General

Changing of the Guard in the Royal Palace of Madrid

Posted by Santi Pérez on 08 Dec 2022, 15:24

It’s certainly not as globally known as the famous changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace in London. But every first Wednesday of the month (except in January, August and September), at 12 a.m. o’clock, a similar ceremony takes place at the Royal Palace of Madrid, led by various units of the Spanish Royal Guard.

I fondly remember that as a young man I loved attending this event. I was going there equipped with my analogue camera and was making complete reports that, once the photos were revealed, I kept in their corresponding albums. :P

Unfortunately, due to the day and time of the event, which are incompatible with my work obligations, it had been many years since I had the opportunity to attend it. :(

But yesterday I had a holiday, was able to attend the event with great enthusiasm and want to share it with you now. :-D

By way of introduction, I will briefly review the main stages of the event.

First of all, the Colonel Commander of the Royal Guard together with his General Staff on horseback go to the main gate of the Palace (Puerta del Príncipe = Prince’s Gate) to receive the Pioneers Squad, Music Band and incoming Guard (comprising an Infantry Company, Band of Bugles and Timpani on horseback, Lancers or Cuirassiers and a detachment of the Royal Battery), all coming from the lower side esplanade of the building.

Then the Colonel, his Staff, the Pioneers and the Music Band parade down the street heading to the open inner courtyard of the Palace (Plaza de la Armería), where the changing between the incoming and outgoing guards will take place. The incoming Guard stays in front of the Palace waiting for the previous ones to arrive at the Plaza de la Armería.

Before the changing of the Guard itself takes place, an acrobatic rifle skills exhibition is held in the Plaza de la Armería by an Infantry Section of the Royal Guard.

Finally, after a while, the incoming Guard also goes to the Plaza de la Armería to participate in the changing.

Once the changing has been made, the outgoing Guard leaves the Plaza de la Armería and parades along the same previous path of the incoming Guard, heading for the lower side esplanade of the Palace. The Colonel Commander together with his Staff close the parade.

As a conclusion to the entire event, the Royal Guard Music Band offers a small concert for all attendees with various Spanish and foreign musical pieces (for example, yesterday they played the famous Stars and Stripes forever from John Philip Sousa, among other).

Hundreds or thousands of people gather to attend this act, both from Madrid and visitors from other parts of Spain and abroad. This is the reason why, when I arrived yesterday at the square in front of the Palace, a large crowd had already gathered waiting for the start of the event.

This prevented me from entering the Plaza de la Armería to see the changing of the guard itself and even get good images of the acts carried out in front of the main façade of the Palace, since in front of me there were many people doing the same.

My work materials were my old Sony digital camera and my obsolete Huawei mobile, to which is added that the weather was very cloudy, so the images obtained are not as good as I would have liked. In any case, here I put them at your disposal.

After so much text, let's go now with the photographic report. :mrgreen:

The Colonel and his Staff waiting for the Pioneers Squad, Music Band, acrobatic rifle skills Infantry Section, Cuirassiers and Royal Battery detachment, and all of them headig towards the Plaza de la Armería to meet the outgoing Guard:

The incoming Guard infantry and cavalry going to their positions and waiting in front of the Palace:

The Comandante (Major) who will lead the incoming Guard going to review it, along with a Bugler and an assistant:

The Comandante and the Bugler join the formation and everyone waits to go to the Plaza de la Armería:

The Pioneers Squad and the Music Band leave the Palace through the main gate, coming from the Plaza de la Armería, to join the incoming Guard and all together will then parade to there:

The members of the Royal Guard Music Band taking their positions for the concert:

Once the event concluded, the participating units joined their transports to return to their quarters:

Finally, two videos (sorry for their poor sound and image quality, they were filmed with my obsolete Huawei mobile), the first with the outgoing Guard parade and the second with the beginning of the concert of the Royal Guard Music Band (You can find many more videos and much better quality than mine on YouTube):

I hope you have found it of interest. Thank you so much for your attention. Best regards. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 08 Dec 2022, 17:25

It's great that such traditions persist, elements of which have existed for centuries. We may not understand it all but it does keep us in touch with our history. Thanks for sharing this.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 08 Dec 2022, 17:55

Nice! Thanks for sharing this with us! :thumbup:

The video's seem to be private and can't be seen by us. :eh:

Is this your next project? :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 08 Dec 2022, 18:24

Peter wrote:...The video's seem to be private and can't be seen by us. :eh:...

Thanks for the warning, Peter. I have already put the videos in public mode, I hope that now they can be seen. :winky:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 08 Dec 2022, 19:12

Thx for fixing the videos. Gorgeous horses, are the Whites Andalusian? Looks like they're prepared with a "whiff of grapeshot" should you get too carried away.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 08 Dec 2022, 20:55

Santi Pérez wrote:Thanks for the warning, Peter. I have already put the videos in public mode, I hope that now they can be seen. :winky:

Santi.

Yep! :yeah:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Dec 2022, 10:45

Loved things like this when younger. Even had some vinyls with marches!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 09 Dec 2022, 10:55

It would be great event to see. Thanks for sharing.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 09 Dec 2022, 18:14

Very interesting Santi. I feel that I know a great deal more about the Spanish Royal Guards now than I did before! Thank you for the pictures and videos.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Dec 2022, 21:28

Bessiere wrote:...Gorgeous horses, are the Whites Andalusian?...

Bessiere, all horses used by Staff Officers, Scouts, Bugles and Timpani (all without cloak in the winter uniform) Cuirassiers (with white cloak in the winter uniform), Lancers (with blue cloak) and Officers and NCOs of the Royal Battery (again without cloak) are of pure Spanish breed, with white, black, gray and chestnut coat. ;-)

It's a pity that Scouts, Bugles, Timpani, Cuirassiers and Lancers do not wear the striking white swan feathers and white and red horsehair plumes on their helmets with this winter uniform. :(

Only the horses that pull the cannons and ammunition caissons are hispano-bretons ones, with chestnut and black coat. :-)

Bessiere wrote:It's great that such traditions persist, elements of which have existed for centuries. We may not understand it all but it does keep us in touch with our history. Thanks for sharing this.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Susofrick wrote:Loved things like this when younger. Even had some vinyls with marches!

Kekso wrote:It would be great event to see. Thanks for sharing.

Minuteman wrote:Very interesting Santi. I feel that I know a great deal more about the Spanish Royal Guards now than I did before! Thank you for the pictures and videos.

Thank you very much. I'm glad you have liked this report. :-D

If some of you are still more interested on the subject, I add the links to the informative brochure and the triptych about the event included in the official Spanish Royal Guard website, along with two very good YouTube videos (both on a fantastic sunny day). The first one includes the acts carried out in the Plaza de la Armería (in this case the incoming Guard were formed by units from the Guardia Civil instead the Royal Guard's) and the second one those that take place in the street in front of the Royal Palace.

https://www.defensa.gob.es/guardiareal/Galerias/ficheros/Dosieres_y_tripticos/20211013_Guardia_Real_Dosier_Relevo_Solemne.pdf

https://www.defensa.gob.es/guardiareal/Galerias/ficheros/Dosieres_y_tripticos/Tripticos/20210708_Guardia-Real_Triptico_Relevo-Solemne_ES_En.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwKkpEmQT44&t=1124s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SunSxHPyYU&t=20s

Best regards!

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by MABO on 11 Dec 2022, 09:13

As you have mentioned, Santi, I did not know at all that there is such a fancy Royal Guard exit in Spain. So I also know more now. Thanks for sharing also from me!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 14 Dec 2022, 20:25

Thank you, Jan. I'm happy to have contributed to increase your knowledge, especially in a subject so dear to me. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to General