General

how do you store your figures

Posted by dykio on 16 Nov 2020, 20:18

Hi Guys,

Since i didn't have that much space i normally stored my painted figures in old shoeboxes or whatever came in hand. Now i have some more place i finally put some of them in a vitrine. and i also bought this :

But this still leaves me with a lot of figures still living in shoeboxes.

so this makes me wander how you guys store your figures?

Laterrrr
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Nov 2020, 01:18

Eighteen months ago, when we moved to the new house, much smaller, I lost my Wargames' Room.

However, the garage was spacious so I got cupboards put in:

The several thousands of wargaming figures & the terrain are mostly stored in plastic drawers:

When it's game time, the 86 is banished to the carport & a gaming table is set up:

I had a shed built to paint figures in:

All in all, quite a satisfying solution.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Nov 2020, 02:53

I am going to need to see some interior pictures of that painting shed. Pony up sir! :D
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Nov 2020, 04:35

Bluefalchion wrote:I am going to need to see some interior pictures of that painting shed. Pony up sir! :D

Painting shed is a bit strong.

I use it to store lawn mowers & my wood working tools.

It's a little basic at the moment but I have paint bottle holders & some other fancy items on order.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Nov 2020, 06:19

Looks good but my back is getting sore just looking at that yellow barstool thingie.

Very nice natural light source. Does it get a little hot in there during the summer?

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Nov 2020, 06:55

A padded stool with a back is on the agenda.

Hot? This is the sub-tropics. Average temp. would be daytime 30s. I tend not to paint during the day in summer. Night is generally fine.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 17 Nov 2020, 16:53

I store most of my figures unpainted in original box :xd: :xd: :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Nov 2020, 18:04

Ochoin wrote:A padded stool with a back is on the agenda.

Hot? This is the sub-tropics. Average temp. would be daytime 30s. I tend not to paint during the day in summer. Night is generally fine.

donald

I am a Yank, therefore speak only Fahrenheit. Are you going take your pics of finished figures out in that shed, too?

I have shown my workspace before, and I am always interested to see other setups.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22251

Posted by santifernandez on 17 Nov 2020, 19:46

Truly cool places to paint and do battle games.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Emperor on 12 May 2021, 11:06

I have divided my figures which are all glued for plate with static grass on plate... One part are at Grandma home and for them I don-t worry...But other part is in the realm of gray tailed plush dictator, the terror of furniture...I keep him out of the room with figures, but some nights he come at door and mew to let him in...I let him in and go too sleep...Two or three times I cought him jumpin on table with figures in middle of my dreams...Luckily he didn-t leave his famous signature... Advice of all who have cats don-t put books on lowest shell...
Emperor  

Posted by Pocho Azul on 18 May 2021, 23:16

Back in the old, days I was starting to apply plasticky magnetic strips to the bottoms of the bases so I could store, and transport them in steel toolboxes. I eventually became disenchanted with this idea for several reasons. The magnets sometimes delaminated from the bottoms of the bases and remained stuck to the steel, and the double layer of bases looked messy and unattractive. Sometimes the magnets weren't strong enough to prevent tall models (like a flying figure on a post) from falling over. On the other hand, large heavy models with a large base (something similar to 28mm crewed elephants) tended to become stuck to the point that removing them was very difficult.

I would prefer, at this point, to rebase everything on metal stands, and try attaching the magnets to the carrying boxes, but we will see.
Pocho Azul  United States of America

Posted by Xantippos on 18 Jul 2021, 15:38

Usually, in plastic toolboxes, compressed to the maximum in a wardrobe, or just in ziplock bags to even be able to store more, and all this in cardboard boxes. Some in model boxes, when they are the same theme and have different colours, or in minisub boxes inside that. When painted, a wider box is supplied, or if very fragile, a bit of bubble wrapping. Having more than 28.000 soldiers calls for desperate measures!
Xantippos  

Return to General