Work in Progress

Diorama Cröbern-1813

Posted by Cryns on 07 Jan 2017, 21:17

Wolfgang,

I red your book. In fact it was the first thing I did after my return from Hann. Munden.
I red it all and I am very much impressed by it. First of all you are a good writer (I am aware Paul and others helped you with translation).

Most important is the fact that I can follow every single step you made by developing the Crobern diorama. It all makes sense to me. Its logical. And every time again you made the only right decision that had to be taken. If I was in charge of that project I should have done it the same way (though thats talking afterwards, I still would not have the knowledge and networks and money to achieve what you achieved).

Very interesting, (also for members in this forum like Thomas Picton), is your search for a museum to exhibit your work. For the readers who don't know this: Wolfgang wanted, of course, to station the diorama close to the battlefield... which is a huge area including many villages and a city so there should be lots of possibilities around Leipzig. Many possibilities showed up and dropped off again and in the end there was nowhere to place it permanently. That's when was decided to start their own museum together with the other members of his group.
Still in central Germany but pretty far from the battlefield. Realizing most of us consider Wolfgangs diorama the best battlefield diorama that has ever been made, its the more surprising and disappointing it was so difficult to find a proper location for displaying it permanently.

Remarkable to read about all the people that worked together with Wolfgang to get this enourmous work done: Our moderators Peter and Paul, MABO who took part in the startup but also Dirk and Frank who I met at Dioramica.

Okay, I can go on forever telling about this book but you guys better order and read it yourself. Most of it is pictures by the way. There is an English and a German version available.

But the most remarkable thing about the whole story is about the village of Cröbern itself. Because it does not exist anymore. Its destroyed in the 1970's to make place for open air mining. So, besides a very good historical report from this part of the battle, its even more an archeological and historical reconstruction of a village that's not existing anymore.

My compliments and deepest respect for your work Wolfgang and all the people who helped and supported you.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Wolfgang Meyer on 07 Jan 2017, 22:05

Hi Mr. Cryns, beautiful, I am very pleased that you liked my book. Thank you! :-D

Best regards to Wanda,

Isa & Wolfgang
Wolfgang Meyer  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 09 Jan 2017, 14:57

I would like to add my compliments to this book as I purchased it many years ago upon publication. The research and old photos, prior to the whole area being dug up for coal is fascinating.

I chanced upon the Crobern website after seeing some pictures on a Napoleon web site. The work and detail put me straight back to the drawing board and the constant raising of the bar by Wolfgang's team is inspirational.

I would highly recommend the Mockern DVD which Wolfgang kindly let me have for further ideas and insights.

Happy modelling.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by JP Wolf on 11 Jul 2022, 03:52

This is an old thread so you might not see my message but I recently discovered your book and was wondering if there is any way that I could purchase a copy. Do you still have any available or do you know where I might find one? The Crobern diorama is about the most amazing thing I have even seen. Beautiful work on every level.
JP Wolf  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 11 Jul 2022, 07:02

MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by JP Wolf on 25 Jul 2022, 17:57

Thank you kind sir! I just placed my order and cannot wait to receive it. You have made my day!
JP Wolf  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress