Work in Progress

Conversions and casualties, French cavalry at Waterloo

Posted by Bessiere on 06 Apr 2023, 21:40

Yes! That's precisely what I was thinking. I can see the color difference on the hands of the slain. Very realistic scene you've done here and I recognize many of the figures, several of the same are on my painting desk in front of me. Would those be Black Watch Highlanders (James old unit)? I'm sure you are familiar with the various sets underway by Francesco of the French medical corps. Lots of bits and bobs like medical instruments I would be curious to know where they came from. Thank you for posting this, it's very instructional and captures nicely the chaos of a field hospital.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 07 Apr 2023, 08:51

Hello Mr B.

Yes, they were from the 42nd.

The medical table was an Art Miniturian piece from their Prussian range.

I was hoping to use the Franznap amputation scene for Antietam as it is very dynamic but alas it is not available yet.

However, I am dressing the set for my Confederate hospital scene for the 9.45AM slot.

Lots of visitors!

Happy Easter.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 07 Apr 2023, 09:34

Happy Easter to you Chris. Visions of suffering are most appropriate at this season.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Chariobaude on 07 Apr 2023, 21:17

love that work, well done !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Minuteman on 08 Apr 2023, 11:11

Goodness, that Quatre Bras field hospital is a bloody scene indeed!! :shock:
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 08 Apr 2023, 11:34

Mr D, here's a suggestion I think you'll get. I noticed on the surgeons the only pairs of eyeglasses worn by anyone. As disgusting as it sounds I'm guessing that would be the prevent blood from getting in their eyes. It just hit me like a bolt of lightning. Arterial bleeding can be very forceful so it sounds logical but I have no historical basis for this. thoughts?
Cheers,
Bessiere

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 08 Apr 2023, 15:14

Hi,

I have not thought of that but doubt it was a factor.

More likely that spectacles were worn to help see what was going on rather than a safety measure.

Reading Adkins Waterloo companion about the stoicism of the wounded makes you wonder what these people were made of.

I suggest that they had tougher lives and were therefore tougher characters as a result.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Apr 2023, 20:02

Lovely new additions to this little-treated aspect of dioramas and wargames, Chris. :love: :love: :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 11 Apr 2023, 13:04

I'm sure you're aware of this, but Linear-A recently produced a set: Napoleonic French Cavalry Disaster. They remind me a lot of your figures.

I love your conversions; very dynamic and a tad slapstick-humorous.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by k.b. on 16 Jun 2023, 12:22

Have just tried to access this thread again but on my phone I can only see the first photograph (the Dutch Lancers) but all I get from the second photo on is a blue box with a question mark in the middle and no more photos. Why is that? (Have you removed your photos from your photo carrying platform?)
I personally use Photobucket and I know if I do anything to the photos on my Photobucket account that image disappears from all sites on which I posted. Maybe your Carrier does the same !
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 16 Jun 2023, 12:23

[quote="k.b."]Have just tried to access this thread again but on my phone I can only see the first photograph (the Dutch Lancers) but all I get from the second photo on is a blue box with a question mark in the middle and no more photos. Why is that? (Have you removed your photos from your photo carrying platform?)
I personally use Photobucket and I know if I do anything to the photos on my Photobucket account that image disappears from all sites on which I posted it. Maybe your Carrier does the same ![/quote]
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bessiere on 16 Jun 2023, 13:06

That Lancer pic I removed accidentally but I have had some disappear from postimg. You will try to add pics, upload them but then they don't show up. Login a day later and the pics are there - perhaps there is a time element for complete uploading? Sorry about that!
Cheers
Bessiere

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress