Work in Progress

ex ESCI Panzer IV

Posted by MABO on 05 Dec 2022, 21:30

Another long running project was to finish this model of a Panzer IV in Normandie. I used the Italeri re-issue of the old ESCI set.

And I must say, it was not nice but rather fiddly to build this model. :eh:

The brackets for the side skirts, for example, did not fit at all. :mad:

I also don't like assembling the chain from the individual parts at all anyway - I probably just can't do it properly or I have no patience.

In any case, I left the model for a long time and finally finished building it.

I am quite happy with the camouflage and the weathering. Again, I tried a new combination of different techniques and products, which was quite ok in my eyes. I am happy to receive advice. :notworthy:

But in general, this is not a model I would recommend. Correct me if you have also built it and see it differently. I will now take the time to build a base and the crew. :sweatdrop:

MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 06 Dec 2022, 10:17

I have built some ESCI models, but it is a very loong time ago. And I did have trouble with them. But I really can't say if it was me or the model that were bad.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Minuteman on 06 Dec 2022, 10:22

A fine-looking Panzer IV, nice work!

It is a good long time since I last built an Esci armoured vehicle kit, and from recollection I seem to recall that they are/were a little difficult, with some parts broken on the sprue and therefore quite a lot of 'fixing' required. Even so, at the time there were few enough options if you wanted to build a WW2 armoured force using plastic kits, so Esci did at least provide plenty of vehicles that others (eg: Airfix) did not provide. Since then we of course have a much greater choice.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by atalante on 06 Dec 2022, 16:01

Great job, I really like your painting on this P4!
You should add some crew members.
atalante  France

Posted by Ben90 on 06 Dec 2022, 23:08

You did a great job on this one! I really like it :-)
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Peter on 07 Dec 2022, 11:44

Great work Jan! :thumbup:

Tracks should in one part for me to. I don't like those seperate pieces at all. :(
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by JurgenH on 07 Dec 2022, 18:11

I have to contradict them .
I think the Esci single link chains are very good. They are beautifully modeled and easy to install, which doesn't necessarily mean fast. You have to give yourself some time when sticking around the drive and idler wheel. no more like attaching 3-4 links per wheel. then let it dry. You still have 3 wheels to work on. The important thing is that you pay attention to the running direction of the chain. There are photos where the chain on the PIV was put on the wrong way round, for example. What I mean to say is that you make sure that the chain fits correctly into the link at the end. Happened to me too. At that time I swapped the wheels for the respective side.
Then you have to glue the long parts down below, the two wheels are then turned so that they fit with the connecting pieces.
Only now are the guide and drive wheels glued to the chassis. Leave to dry well. Now the upper chain between the support rollers
Insert the pre-bent slack and glue. Use the remaining individual chains to compensate for the distance.

By the way, the best Pz PIV should be those from Zvesda
be. Easy and quick to build. Super detailed for the price.
Only, all hatches are closed. And it comes from Russia. I have no further comment on this. Everyone has to decide for themselves.
Should a political discussion develop from my contribution, I ask the moderators to delete it.
We want to take care of model making, not politics.

stay healty
Jürgen
JurgenH  Germany

Posted by MABO on 09 Dec 2022, 08:44

Thanks mates, for the encouraging posts on this topic.

Minuteman wrote:... Esci did at least provide plenty of vehicles that others (eg: Airfix) did not provide. Since then we of course have a much greater choice.

That is right for sure and I have a lot of them in my collection. Some of them are really nice and building them worked out well. But this time it was really difficult.

JurgenH wrote:I have to contradict them .
I think the Esci single link chains are very good. They are beautifully modeled and easy to install, which doesn't necessarily mean fast.

By the way, the best Pz PIV should be those from Zvesda

Thanks for your comment as well, Jürgen. I will try to be more patient next time. But I have problems to attach the single parts of the chain, because they did not fit correctly into the gaps of the wheels and rolls. But maybe I made mistakes when attaching these.

But the biggest problem in this case I had with the side skirts. The connecting parts did not fit and there was no defined point to glue them on the tank. After fixing them on the defined points on the skirt, I had to glue them on the top of a hatch of the tank for example.

But reminding me to work more slowly and maybe with more precision as a result, should be an incentive for my next ESCI project.

Talking about Zvezda: I have the PIV from this brand as well. It is here since more than two years but I did not find the time to build it. Same for the Tank Destroyer Jagdpanther. So still a lot to do in the future...
MABO  Europe

Posted by Kekso on 09 Dec 2022, 10:34

It seems you've been very productive lately... we need to clone you :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Dec 2022, 10:44

Three MABO wouldn't be wrong!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Egbert on 09 Dec 2022, 11:05

Hello Jan,
the tank model looks really convincing and very realistic.
Great job! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by MABO on 09 Dec 2022, 13:03

Kekso wrote:It seems you've been very productive lately... we need to clone you :xd:

:winky:
MABO  Europe

Return to Work in Progress