Work in Progress

Starting my Russian Army

Posted by Bessiere on 05 Dec 2022, 02:14

Been a while since I posted work and while sadly my photo set up isn't suitable I have a couple pics to share. I've done units of Strelets Jagers, HaT line infantry and Mounted Dragoons, Zvezda grenadiers as well as their excellent cuirassiers and hussars so far.
Each of these sets have many qualities and conform to the level of realism that I like. The HaT line boys are a tad cartoonish and very stiff but otherwise excellent sculpts (sorry no pics of either HaT set).
Strelets Russian Jagers
Zvezda Russian Grenadiers
Zvezda Russian Cuirassiers
Zvezda Russian Hussars

Guard Cossacks and Artillery are on deck next, then 7 boxes of line infantry, 3 Jager and grenadiers and 2 more of each cavalry type as my eventual goal. But wait! There's more French and Austrians to do, Saxons and Wurtemburgers not to mention Bavarians and Italians. I guess I have my next 5 years spoken for.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Dec 2022, 04:04

I'm nearly finished my Russian Nap army - waiting on a load of Kenningtons.

Your excellent photos & wonderful figures provide a stimulus to get them done & on the table:

I have a game planned. 1814. Napoleon is off fighting a pitched battle against various allies & his rear is protected by the Imperial Guard*. A Russian force approaches & desires to push past them & finish His Imperial Majesty for good. I'll have 18 battalions of Russian infantry (+ cavalry & artillery) & the Guard (Old, Middle & Young) will have 14 battalions etc. There will be a secret - the "Oldest of the Old" - 2 battalions-will NOT be committed to the fighting as Napoleon wants to preserve them. The Russians won't know this, however.

Should be interesting.

donald
* one Middle Guard Fusilier-Chasseur battalion to complete
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bessiere on 05 Dec 2022, 07:08

Sounds like a massive game Donald, have fun! I think you might have a head start on building Russian forces though but give me 5 years and maybe....Thx,
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Dec 2022, 08:20

I particularly like your Zvesda hussars.

I was never able to get my hand on a set. I had the two Strelets' sets painted up but sold them in my recent
Ebay sell-off.

I only have one unit of hussars left; the Kennington figures. They're nice but not really a patch on Zvesda.

You will be getting/have got cossacks, of course? What's a Russian army without cossacks? Mine are (mostly) Newline.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 05 Dec 2022, 12:46

Ochoin wrote:I particularly like your Zvesda hussars.

I was never able to get my hand on a set. I had the two Strelets' sets painted up but sold them in my recent
Ebay sell-off.

I only have one unit of hussars left; the Kennington figures. They're nice but not really a patch on Zvesda.

You will be getting/have got cossacks, of course? What's a Russian army without cossacks? Mine are (mostly) Newline.

donald

Yes, the Zvezda Russian Hussars are a superb set of figures, amongst the best produced by that company IMHO.

For your information donald, they have been re-released quite recently. I don't know whether you can source them in Australia, but in the UK for example: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ZVE8 ... oken=Ca18N
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 05 Dec 2022, 12:49

Great work Bessiere, and quite a project you have there. I'm sure that your Russian army will look superb, once complete!

It does remind me that I also have quite a lot of Russian Napoleonics (mainly Zvezda) in my stash...awaiting the day, one day, when I also make a start on my Russian Army. I have no idea when that might be, but we live in hope..... ;-)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 05 Dec 2022, 16:38

Donald,
I bought my cossacks and hussars several years ago right before they disappeared. I paid more than double for the hussars and I just feel fortunate to have them. They are back in production but I know shipping costs to Australia are terrible. There is so much detail on these hussars and the wolf's teeth pattern truly tested my skills and patience. I did start my cossacks last year using the old redbox sets since I had to have a unit of "cupids" as the French called them. All irregulars of course and the artillery is equipped with cannon from the GNW as it made sense to me that cossacks would stow away such items for future emergencies. They are also the only unit with a priest in any of my armies. Wouldn't be complete without one.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Bessiere on 05 Dec 2022, 16:54

Thanks for the kind comments Mark. I found the Russians a big change and spent a lot of time mixing various greens trying to find the right colors. Also their equipment was totally new to me so I've had to learn a little as well. I have no problem using early and late war units together given our lack of choices. Like the HaT mounted dragoons have the huge caterpillar crest but I like the later smaller crests so I cut them down. They look close enough for me anyways. You wouldnt know who makes the best grenadiers in miters would you? The Italeri are much too small and those men were picked for size,most being around 6' tall which was huge for that era. The Redox grenadiers are too skinny as well. Guess I'll have to resort to metals for those like I did with the French Carabiniers (early) and Marins de la Gard.
I know nothing of the wars of Marlborough but if it has your interest it must be exciting so I'm going to go find some videos. Good luck on your Russians, I think you'll find as I did that many of these figures are a joy to paint. Being mostly Russian sculptors I think they really outdid themselves even on the Redbox Cossack sets.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Peter on 05 Dec 2022, 18:16

That is a fine looking army so far! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MikeRC97 on 06 Dec 2022, 00:57

Great stuff Bessiere
MikeRC97  

Posted by Susofrick on 06 Dec 2022, 10:21

Really great stuff. I only have ESCI's old Russians.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 06 Dec 2022, 10:37

Bessiere wrote: The Italeri are much too small and those men were picked for size,most being around 6' tall which was huge for that era. The Redox grenadiers are too skinny as well. Guess I'll have to resort to metals for those like I did with the French Carabiniers (early) and Marins de la Gard.
I know nothing of the wars of Marlborough but if it has your interest it must be exciting so I'm going to go find some videos. Good luck on your Russians, I think you'll find as I did that many of these figures are a joy to paint. Being mostly Russian sculptors I think they really outdid themselves even on the Redbox Cossack sets.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Although I have not made a start on my Napoleonic Russians, I have given a bit of thought to the 'problem' of how best to depict the Pavloski Grenadiers...and after all, is there any Napoleonic Russian army that does not feature this famous regiment?! I did have several boxes of the Italeri Grenadiers in mitre caps, but somehow they have gone AWOL in the stash and cannot be found...and I also take your point about them looking a bit small next to the statuesque Zvezda sculpts.

Just a thought....I haven't tried this yet.... but I am wondering whether a 'hat swap', taking the kiwer shako off some Zvezda grenadiers and fixing on a mitre cap from the HaT SYW Prussians, might work? It would depend on the relative size of the heads of these figures, but the SYW Prussians are on the 'large' size and it might just work. One box of the HaT Prussians in Marching or Action provides 40 mitre caps, enough for a good contingent of Pavlovs.

As for the wars of Marlborough: Well, perhaps not quite as exciting as Napoleonics, but with quite a lot of the same sort of variety of troop types, generals, uniforms, and a Europe-wide conflict...especially if you factor in the neighbouring Great Northern War as well. But for me, this period became a 'must have' period once Strelets released their WoSS sets. :-D :yeah:

Posted by Bessiere on 06 Dec 2022, 19:38

That's a good suggestion if the miters are similar enough and the size thing works - it should given both sets are Zvezda. It does seem like the Prussian grenadiers are getting harder to find so I better figure that out soon!
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Rich W on 07 Dec 2022, 00:03

These all look excellent! I have a box of the Zvezda grenadiers and think about painting them as the figures are so nice. But then I get distracted by everything else in my pile!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 07 Dec 2022, 00:22

Thanks Rich. They really are easy to paint with such clear detail and sculpting. I Look forward to seeing yours, now get cracking!
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by k.b. on 07 Dec 2022, 10:29

WOOOOW! Beautiful work Bessiere. Now I see where your comments were coming from when you told me about your Russian Army. But you certainly seem to have made a lovely job of them…… and to reach this level of detail I know for a fact how much time you must have put in on them.
I think my favourites are the Hussars. They are splendid. Congratulations on an army that is surely going to be an impressive sight to behold !
Ps/ love your photographic skills too !
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 07 Dec 2022, 12:11

Ps/ However, a higher resolution of photo would help us appreciate your work even more
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Santi Pérez on 07 Dec 2022, 20:51

It's a fantastic beginning for your Russian army, Bessiere. Let more coming! :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 07 Dec 2022, 21:36

Thank you very much Santi. These were my first attempts using an older digital camera and a lightbox that was probably too cheap to do the job. Seemed like a great idea but the internal lighting isn't bright enough. Funny thing is I used to do jewelry photography using an SLR and never had these issues. Always new tech you have to adjust to.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Kekso on 09 Dec 2022, 10:38

Nice Nappies... I crave for sharper images :-/
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Next page

Return to Work in Progress