Work in Progress

A long time ago ...

Posted by steve_pickstock on 28 Oct 2022, 20:38

In a galaxy far, far - yeah, you get the idea.

With the War of the Rivets/Warmachine army nearly done, it's time to get another project on the go.

So, since I took my little brother - he is 15 months younger than me and we were in our early twenties at the time - to see A New Hope, when it first came to cinemas, I was hooked on the Star Wars universe.

I have some of the 28mm figures but as my main love is 1/72nd, I have been trying to find ways to play SW games in that scale.

First of all were the Micro-Machines offerings, but they are very hit and miss, being designed to fit into a specific volume, so in terms of scale "you pays your money and you takes your choice". Some items are useful but generally not.

Next I heard that Caesar/Miniknight had done a box of Imperial Storm Troopers/Clone Troopers in 1/72nd. I managed to track one down, and it's another mixed bag. There are about 40 odd figures in the box but they're a lot of work - with separate heads, legs, arms and torsos. You get Imperial 'bucket-heads' and Clone Trooper heads, plus some more non-specific heads, there are a range of poses, and because of the vagaries of the separate limbs, when they go together you get quite a lot of variety.

Most recently, there are the Micro Galaxy sets. The ones I have seen so far are definitely 1/72nd, as you will see. They're not cheap. They come in a 'mystery box' at £4.99 each for a figure and a vehicle - a speeder bike or a small walker, but they're nice and the sculpts offer a lot of possibilities. They offer other sets as well, an X-Wing and a Scout Walker, up to a Razor Crest and Millennium Falcon, and while the figures look compatible with the mystery box models, I'm not sure about the actual vehicles.

Micro Galaxy Figures - In the back - Scout Trooper, Darth Maul. At the front - Clone Trooper and a Mandalorean. The single figure is one of the Miniknight Storm Troopers.

This time with the Darth Maul and the Scout Trooper at the front.

From the left - a Micro Machines Speeder bike and one of the Micro Galaxy ones to show the difference in size. The other vehicle is a Micro Galaxy ST-RT walker with its Clone Trooper rider.

Two Micro Galaxy Speeder bikes, a Micro Machines Probe Droid and a Micro Galaxy generic speeder bike, that comes in the same set as the Mandalorean figure.

Two of the Micro Galaxy ST-RTs that I have repainted, and a Micro Machines speeder bike (Rey's speeder from on Jaku). It's under scale compared with the Micro Galaxy vehicles, but I think it would pass as scatter terrain.

Five of the Miniknight Storm Troopers with Micro Galaxy vehicles in the background.
When I first did these - about five or so years ago (it might be more), I got very frustrated with them, hence the cursory coat of paint.
I'm coming back to them now feeling more ready to tackle them, so we'll see how it goes.

With the Micro Galaxy figures I already have multiples of each figure, so they open possibilities for conversions - standing versions of each figure, adding things like the Mando's long rifle, Darth Maul's light sabre etc; they'd also stand some filling and a repaint.

I am also looking at some conversions. There is a lot of room in the Star Wars universe for outlaws, ne'er-do-wells, bounty hunters and law men, never mind actual rebels. They use scavenged and surplus equipment, so there are plenty of opportunities.

One idea I had is use to figures from the two Dark Alliance Survivors sets . One in particular -
Looks like he would go well sat upon a surplus ST-RT - cut him off at the waist and add some legs from a Scout Trooper, sculpt the coat back in and set him up.

I'm hoping for some time in the attic this weekend but we're having multiple jabs tomorrow and Mrs P wants to go out on Sunday, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for looking in.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by sberry on 29 Oct 2022, 14:23

This project looks really cool, thanks for sharing!
I always thought there is next to nothing available for 1/72th scale on that topic, so I have learned something new.
But the real challenge is still ahead of you, I'd say: To assemble (and store) a model of the Death Star in true 1/72...
sberry  Germany

Posted by Xantippos on 30 Oct 2022, 07:35

Great collection :) . Since I was little, I always thought the only scale good for Star Wars was 1/72 or even smaller, as was the only way to depict the tremendous battles with space cruisers! I was never very much captivated by the Jedis. The ships, armies and robots were more important to me.

There is a lot of Micro Machines mini figures, I have plenty of them. They fetch (or at least before) quite high prices though, and as you say, vehicles are rarely in scale. There is then a few similar, knockoff/imitation figures. I have a copy strom troopers, and a good source of Sci Fi similar figures are the sort of mini playsets of Mighty Max and it's further copies. I recently got this;

Soldiers are quite nicely done, and for example could pass as the Rebel Troopers of the newest Trilogy.
Xantippos  

Posted by steve_pickstock on 30 Oct 2022, 15:09

sberry wrote:But the real challenge is still ahead of you, I'd say: To assemble (and store) a model of the Death Star in true 1/72...

SHUSSHHHH! Don't tell Mrs P - I told her I wouldn't do that - but then I found some plans in the main computer... :xd:

Xantippos wrote:Great collection :) . Since I was little, I always thought the only scale good for Star Wars was 1/72 or even smaller, as was the only way to depict the tremendous battles with space cruisers! I was never very much captivated by the Jedis. The ships, armies and robots were more important to me.

In our club, we have often discussed playing Star Wars: X-Wing (which is 1/350th scale or there abouts) in 1/72nd using Revell models TIEs and X-Wings, but I think we would need more space than we have at the moment, and it would play havoc with our ageing knees.
But you are right about knockoff play sets - at least that is what I have always told Mrs PO when I go poking around toy stalls on markets and car-boot sales.

Right! Today I did get up into the attic for a while (arm is still a bit achey from the covid jab yesterday.

So I started on the long-rider type, hit the figure with the dremel and cut away his lower body and opened up the back of the duster. The look I was going for was Cad Bane https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cad_Bane?file=CadBane-AG.png, a bounty hunter type, though I might not finish this figure as such.

I added a pair of Scout Trooper legs and fitted the figure to an ST-RT. Threw a couple of items of stowage from a Plastic Soldier Company 15mm detail set on as well, to make it look less "Imperial" and more "military surplus". Here it is with the foot version of the figure, I'll paint them both together.
He rides a bit high on the walker but that is pretty much obscured by the coat tails of his duster coat. I probably could have fixed it but it is what it is.

Next up, a simple conversion of one of the Darth Maul figures. I drilled down through the top of his head, so I could turn it and pin it. Then filled in around the articulated hips and detail the gap in his tunic, then added his long light sabre.
I think the slight turn of the head is what is important, it just ups the figure from being boring. Needs more detail in the painting - especially the face.

Lastly some figures from the Dark Alliance Survivors sets, that I think can be used as non-Imperial types without too much work - I mean, the guy 3rd from the left has even got a bow-caster!
I say without too much work, the girl on the left is just crying out for twin light sabres and head tails to make an Ahsoka Tano figure, (I believe the official term for head tails is montrals and lekku).
As for the rest - sand and grey cams, and a variety of skin tones, perhaps some facial sculpts, but that is a future episode.

Thanks for looking in and thanks for commenting.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Xantippos on 01 Nov 2022, 14:23

Indeed, they would be great material, specially for sort of rebel troops ;) . They remind me, without any extra modification other than good paints, the rebels of Saw Guerrera in the Clone Wars 3d animated series ;) .

Of this topic, I also have the Orion Space soldiers, with some cuts here and there, could make for some imperial troopers;

http://plasticsoldierreview.com/ShowFeature.aspx?id=54

And some time ago, I converted airfix mountain troops, into imperial star wars officers using experimental weapons :) . I need to make pics of them.
Xantippos  

Posted by steve_pickstock on 01 Nov 2022, 22:18

Xantippos wrote:Indeed, they would be great material, specially for sort of rebel troops ;) . They remind me, without any extra modification other than good paints, the rebels of Saw Guerrera in the Clone Wars 3d animated series ;) .

:yeah:

Xantippos wrote:Of this topic, I also have the Orion Space soldiers, with some cuts here and there, could make for some imperial troopers;

Strangely enough I was talking with the creator of those just recently. They are very nice, it is a shame that they are now hard to find.

Xantippos wrote:And some time ago, I converted airfix mountain troops, into imperial star wars officers using experimental weapons :) . I need to make pics of them.

I shall have to have a look in my boxes to see what I can find.
steve_pickstock  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 02 Nov 2022, 19:15

You have my attention, Steve! I'm a Star Wars fan! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by steve_pickstock on 06 Nov 2022, 15:12

Peter wrote:You have my attention, Steve! I'm a Star Wars fan! ;-) :thumbup:
:yeah:

Sorry, I haven't done much on this project this week. I was going to paint the 'long rider' type, and do a bit more on Darth Maul, but things got in the way.
We were going to go out and watch the new Marvel Wakonda film today, but I sneaked upstairs for an hour. just so that I could say that I had done something.

Right! Star Wars isn't really Star Wars without 'droids, is it?

And that had been my thoughts this week. 'Droids.
I knew I had some of the old Steel Warriors tucked away and I had a box labelled as Mechwarrior Bits so I decided to have a look in there. There were some Steel Warrior models and some actual Mechs from when Wizkids decided to reboot Mechwarrior with their Age of Destruction or Dark Ages collections. There was a construction mech - the yellow one on the left - and another that I can't identify in the middle (edit - it is apparently known as a Centurion mech, I have discovered) and of course the Steel Warrior model.

The nice thing about the Wizkids models, is that I don't have to paint them. I simply took them off the bulky, clicky bases that they were on and fixed them to 50mm bases.

They're quite fragile, despite being made of a flexible plastic; the joints in particular are quite susceptible to coming apart, but they'll fit in as large 'droids. I see the construction mech as scatter terrain, or perhaps someone has weaponised it. The middle one might be a rebel 'droid - useful heavy support or something like that, and the Steel Warrior model an IG-88B type of bounty hunter droid.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starw ... 1224193425

We didn't go out to see Wakonda, after all, but that's the benefit of being retired we can go and see it tomorrow when it's quiet.

Thanks for looking in. cheers Steve.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 10 Nov 2022, 12:05

You have so many fantastic projects going on! I love the Mandalorian figure and Darth Maul figure in particular, always a joy to read!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by steve_pickstock on 01 Jul 2023, 09:37

Just a quick note on this project - I was combing through the internet, looking at various things when I found the Micro Glaxy AT-ST.

I missed this when it first came out, but did want one, even got Mrs P to allow me to get one for myself for my birthday. The problem was that the prices got really silly, over half as much again as the original price. So when I saw this at £16 it was time to get one.

Anyway, it arrived yesterday so that is going into the queue.

As I am gearing all of my Star Wars stuff to desert, like Tattooine or Jaku, I'm thinking Iraqi Sand, or maybe even Caunter Scheme camouflage, and of course, it will need some stowage.

Pictures as and when I have them.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 02 Jul 2023, 14:32

Two more pictures of the Scout Walker this time with a Caesar Miniatures Storm trooper to show the scale of it.

I had a good look at the Caunter camouflage scheme, but decided against it, so this will get and overall Iraqi Sand, washes, and highlights, then some stowage - extra water cans, a tarp or two and some boxes.

Thank you for looking in. Steve.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 02 Jul 2023, 15:07

Ooh, great sculpt, let's see how it looks with highlights!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Minuteman on 02 Jul 2023, 19:22

Very nice! I didn't realise that 'stowage' would feature in the Imperial Ground Scout Forces, but thinking abut it...why not!!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 02 Jul 2023, 21:46

That is a victim for the Ewoks! :-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by steve_pickstock on 03 Jul 2023, 10:59

CliosPaintingBench wrote:Ooh, great sculpt, let's see how it looks with highlights!

Hopefully that will be soon.

Minuteman wrote:Very nice! I didn't realise that 'stowage' would feature in the Imperial Ground Scout Forces, but thinking abut it...why not!!

It was one of the things that I really liked about Star Wars when I first saw it. It was a big contrast to TV scifi in general, which was always very clean and uncluttered. The yellow Pochin compressor cart in the bay at Mos Eisly space port, the grit and the grime. And it makes sense - prolonged ops on a desert planet, you may not need to carry additional fuel but you will probably need extra water and some form of shade. This guy has the same idea.
http://studiogekko.blogspot.com/2017/09 ... inues.html

I'm not planning anything as complicated as that.

Peter wrote:That is a victim for the Ewoks! :-)

Nasty! Horrible little creatures! We hates them! We hates Ewoks for ever!
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 08 Jul 2023, 18:01

Peter wrote:That is a victim for the Ewoks! :-)

steve_pickstock wrote:Nasty! Horrible little creatures! We hates them! We hates Ewoks for ever!

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 09 Jul 2023, 14:13

steve_pickstock wrote:Nasty! Horrible little creatures! We hates them! We hates Ewoks for ever!

Image[/quote]
Which is why I am building stuff for a desert planet - no trees!

This week has been a bit busy, did do some stuff, but more importantly I had the assessment for my cataract operation. After all the eye-drops and the measurement - I'm set for the end of the month, so we shall see what happens.

Right, the thing I have worked on most this week, apart from more trees, a couple of thatched cottages, and other bits, the AT_ST has come along nicely.

Re-did the gun barrels, added some stowage - as per the previous conversations - extra water, a couple of boxes and some tarps. Repainted in overall Vallejo Iraqi Sand, washed with GW Nuln Oil. The Iraqi Sand was re-touched then highlighted with a mix of off-white. Some gentle dry brushing.
Went over the model with Vallejo Matt Varnish to knock the gloss off the Nuln Oil, then 'chipping' using Vallejo Natural Steel, and streaking using GW Rakarth Flesh Contrast paint.

Still some oil streaks to add and touching up the iraqi Sand in a couple of places and, of course, the base to finish, but I am satisfied with it so far. I'm not really a vehicle modeller, and it's a bit small to do some of the things I have seen, but ... yeah it's coming along nicely.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 18 Jul 2023, 21:16

Just a quick post, I took the AT-ST to the club tonight and took some pictures of it in a better ambient light.

Thanks for looking in.
steve_pickstock  England

Return to Work in Progress