Work in Progress

Halkett's Brigade

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 21 Sep 2022, 21:16

Dear Forum Members, I've been absent from the forum for a while now, mainly due to work commitments, but the Waterloo project has been going ahead at full steam despite my personal lack of progress.

Recently, I've got going on Hackett's Brigade which consisted of two double battalion squares: the 33rd and 69th and the 30th and 73rd. I've finished three of the four units and here are the results:

More here at my blog if you are interested:

http://generalpicton.blogspot.com
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 22 Sep 2022, 02:07

Outstanding work Capt. Sibourne - this represents a massive amount of time and labor. They look fantastic and have all the various poses to really bring the formation to life. It's easy to see why the French cavalry couldn't break them. The only sensible thing would have to been to roll up their horse artillery and cut loose at close range. We're all on pins and needles to see the big charge which cannot fail to impress.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Eta: Quick estimation looks like 1,500 figures. Have you counted them yet?
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by k.b. on 22 Sep 2022, 02:43

MONUMENTAL. My utmost respect………

Sorry but I need to elaborate more on what was initially going to be a four word reply …. due to the time being way past my bedtime - unless I’m painting minis, that is.

However, your work is too splendid for me to be so succinct. Am looking at this on my phone which really is unable to give me even a vague idea of how good these squares really are. Tomorrow I will look at your work on my pc afterwhich I’ll add more comments. But I am truly stunned by the variety of figures you have put together and they all appear so harmonious…… no mean achievement. Anyways I won’t ramble on, without being more objective. Tomorrow I will be in a better position to add more superlatives and who knows I might even spot something that may lead to some constructive criticism. Or maybe not!
Thanks for sharing….. and congratulations once again.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by sberry on 22 Sep 2022, 08:46

Monumental indeed, and very impressive!
sberry  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 22 Sep 2022, 14:17

Excellent work for this prodigious project.

The standard of painting on such a scale is wonderful.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 22 Sep 2022, 20:56

Thanks so much everyone, it's nice to be back and I'm particularly grateful to Chris Dodson for negotiating my entry back onto the forum - not easy when you've forgotten your password but the reset didn't seem to function!

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 22 Sep 2022, 21:25

Wow very impressive! :shock:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bessiere on 22 Sep 2022, 21:28

That makes 2 of us Mr. Dodson was kind enough to assist. Best forum membership on the internet hands down.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Rich W on 22 Sep 2022, 22:23

Fantastic! I'd hate to think how many hours were spent on those squares...
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Sep 2022, 06:06

Thank you to the good General and Mr B for their kind comments.

The real thanks should be to the wonderful moderators who keep this forum safe and operating .

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 23 Sep 2022, 06:57

Fully agree, it's such a great resource, and all done for love.

Posted by k.b. on 23 Sep 2022, 23:51

The more I look at your work Captain the more impressed I am. It's difficult to say what is most impressive. Is it the sheer size of the squares, the interaction between the figures, your choice of miniatures? Or might it be your wonderful basing which makes it all look so real, or the backdrop, which gives us the impression there is a ridge behind them - from where any second - masses of French cavalry will emerge. On the other hand, perhaps your photography is what impresses the most. Nor have I mentioned your painting which is remarkably consistent considering the number of figures assembled. Am honestly not sure what it is that makes your work so mesmerising..... After many minutes of careful deliberation i think I believe I've found my answer. It's your choice of subject that intrigues and delights me the most.

PS/ let's not forget the hours of research that undoubtedly went into making it, nor the pricey sum it must have cost to make - plus your organizational skills to put them all so meticulously close together.

Congratulations and I can hardly wait for more.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 24 Sep 2022, 08:54

You are very kind KB, thank you so much! I must admit to worrying that your praise needs some perspective. The photos are simply composed from a piece of plywood sprayed sky blue with squirts of white paint. The camera is only an iPhone, pointed and pressed. The photos are only temporary demonstrations of progress. The bigger picture is the construction of the whole diorama. These are squares 27 and 28 of those done so far. But many thanks again, you help sustain my morale!

Posted by Santi Pérez on 24 Sep 2022, 13:15

Wow, it makes me dizzy to see so many figures and so well painted. Even living a hundred lifetimes I wouldn't be able to achieve something similar. It's an amazing work, Captain Sibourne. :shock:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Minuteman on 24 Sep 2022, 16:46

Magnificent and meticulous work on the grandest of scales. Superb in every respect !
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 03 Oct 2022, 06:56

I think about the French cavalry that has to attack the squares. It ust be terrible and hard to imagine what the horsemen think at that moment...

I could not add more superlatives, but I am also very excited about the work you have done in the meantime.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Work in Progress