Work in Progress

Medievals? Dwarves?

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Sep 2022, 12:13

I'm prepping my Tumbling Dice crossbowmen for a Lion Rampant retinue. I'm finally starting this project!

I'm not a real fan of Fantasy mostly because I don't often like the figures. Take dwarves. The custom is to create these squat, virtually legless* monstrosities. However, it ocurred to me that if you were doing 28mm Fantasy, these 20mm figures would make perfect dwarves. This lot will end up as medievals though. Just a thought.

* that's "legless" not "Legolas"
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 21 Sep 2022, 14:02

Don't be too hard on dwarves, donald. They have their strengths, and although their legs may not be as long and shapely as those of elves or even (some) menfolk, dwarven folk are the best workers of stone and metal in Middle Earth, surely.

For my money and as a fan of Lord of the Rings, the large range of sets produced by Redbox - together with the Caesar fantasy sets - allow LoTR armies to be raised which look convincing, and without the large outlay in monetary terms that would be required for Games Workshop etc armies.

The main issue I have, with lots of Redbox fantasy figures waiting to be painted, is whether 15mm figures would look like convincing 4 foot (120cm) tall hobbits in 1/72 scale....? Or maybe, one day, Redbox will have an opportunity to release some sets of 'Halfling Folk'.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by elegantmess on 27 Oct 2022, 05:06

It depends on the manufacturer, but 15mm figures can make convincing hobbits. I've picked up a few lots of them for just that purpose.
elegantmess  United States of America

Posted by elegantmess on 27 Oct 2022, 05:06

It depends on the manufacturer, but 15mm figures can make convincing hobbits. I've picked up a few lots of them for just that purpose.
elegantmess  United States of America

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 10 Nov 2022, 12:00

Look forward to seeing this, the current image doesn't show for me though.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Santi Pérez on 10 Nov 2022, 19:27

OwenChpw wrote:Look forward to seeing this, the current image doesn't show for me though.

The same thing happens to me. It seems that there are some problems in the last days to see the pictures hosted in Postimage. I hope they will be fixed soon because I have all my photos hosted on this server. :(

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 11 Nov 2022, 07:14

Can't see it either.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Work in Progress