Work in Progress

[Basic Impetus] Joseon/Choson/조선 Korean Righteous Army

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 23 Oct 2022, 23:33

Xantippos wrote:I haven't been able to recognize the korean soldier with the long sword, from where does it come from? doesn't seem Redbox.

I just realised that I forgot to answer your question, sorry about that. If you're referring to the bald fellow in grey and orange-brown, he's a 3D print which I purchased from a store owner via messaging. I didn't buy it from a store because the Taobao app doesn't work for me, I bought it from my contact and I don't even know the name of the sculpt, because it was in Chinese, so yeah it could be difficult to acquire unless you're willing to do some digging on Taobao. But with 3D printing becoming more popular, hopefully miniatures like this will be assessible everywhere soon.

Santi Pérez wrote:Another group of fantastic Korean warriors, Owen. Those knights look terrifying. :love:

And, as always too, a very comprehensive information provided. :thumbup:

Santi.

Thanks Santi! I do think the Korean knights are very imposing with all the armour, I wouldn't want to be facing a down a charge from them. I thought I did have to give the Koreans some grandeur and 'punch', after two infantry units of people mostly looking like waiters and peasants haha.

zirrian wrote:Owen, have you considered 3d printing? Some time ago there was a Kickstarter for Japanese samurai by Smol Miniatures that had Koreans as stretch goal that you can use :)

Oh my, thanks for bringing this to my attention! I do think 3D printing is the future but I didn't know they were making Joseon Koreans. I thought I'd never see a Hwatcha miniature that I could use. I'm very interested in this and look into adding some of their prints into this army once they release!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by dombom on 24 Oct 2022, 08:28

Wow, I love your painting. You got a very interesting method of paiting these. Mixing up several colors to achieve in a kind of sprinkeled pattern to achieve the illusion of plenty details. Looks great. I should try something like this as well.
dombom  Germany

Posted by Konrad on 24 Oct 2022, 18:20

Very nice Korean troops. :yeah:
Since I'm very interested in feudal Japan,
it's nice to see someone still taking on this
fascinating era of Asian history.
And what a research and amount of information. :shock:
I haven't written that in the fifteen years I've been a member of this great forum. :-D
Very nicely done my friend. ;-)
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Xantippos on 06 Nov 2022, 08:23

It looks very perfect! would never have said it was 3D printed. Was it very expensive?

That model of Korean artillery looks very interesting. The soldiers look a bit on the chunky side though.
Xantippos  

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 10 Nov 2022, 12:39

dombom wrote:Wow, I love your painting. You got a very interesting method of paiting these. Mixing up several colors to achieve in a kind of sprinkeled pattern to achieve the illusion of plenty details. Looks great. I should try something like this as well.

Thank you very much! I don't really know the formal method of what I do, I kind of work by instinct now, but shading, blending and going from darker to light is the foundation of how I paint. I'd love to see if you ever make some more models!

Konrad wrote:Very nice Korean troops. :yeah:
Since I'm very interested in feudal Japan,
it's nice to see someone still taking on this
fascinating era of Asian history.
And what a research and amount of information. :shock:
I haven't written that in the fifteen years I've been a member of this great forum. :-D
Very nicely done my friend. ;-)

Very grateful to hear this, I love this period too! It seems samurai warfare was mostly against other samurai, so having a new army for them to fight on the tabletop makes for an interesting visual match. Haha, I think I write too much, but I care about the history of the projects I start... but I write way too much.

Xantippos wrote:It looks very perfect! would never have said it was 3D printed. Was it very expensive?

That model of Korean artillery looks very interesting. The soldiers look a bit on the chunky side though.

Yeah it was a great sculpt. I think it was very cheap, around $2? stuff in Asia costs a lot less... Taobao is pretty inaccessible to anyone outside of China though, which is a pain.

Yeah I don't think the Korean Smol miniatures sculpts are that great actually. They released the sculpts and the armoured troops are wildly inaccurate, but the unarmoured troops are usable. I'm just glad to have more sculpts I guess. I'm trying to source someone to 3D print these for me, which might or might not work out eventually haha.

--

"Your majesty... I still have twelve ships at my command." - Yi Sun-Shin, when asked to disband the Joseon navy in his command on the eve of confronting three hundred Japanese ships at the Battle of Myeongnyang, Admiral Roaring Currents (2014).

"To catch a tiger you need to corner it, distract it with dogs, immobilise it with an arrow and pierce through its neck with a spear. But I don't see any spears." - Yi Bang-won. "Well you're wrong. To catch a tiger you first need to feed it some dogs and even humans. You need to fill it up before you catch it." Yi Bang-gan - My Country the new Age (2019) episode 15.

"Today we are hunting. Kill all the winged animals you see. I will kill the tiger." - Yi Bang-gan, My Country the new Age (2019) episode 14.

Hello all, this will be the last unit in this army for the near-future, I have another project which I need to start (long story, real life reasons, but I shouldn't talk about it yet in case it all fails and doesn't play out). Like my Mauryan Indian and Celtic Britons army before that, this will have to join the list of still WIP projects, but which I all intend to finish and come back to. To round out my army, I wanted something visually distinct and formidable. So I chose freehand. Lots of freehand. It was very painful to finish.

--

1/72 Joseon Dynasty Korean Righteous Army - The Band of Good Will

최규원 대 (崔奎遠隊) (Choi Kyu-won's squad - Korean and Hanja) are the frontline soldiers of the Joseon army. It falls to them to bear the brunt of the enemy charge, to hold even when surrounded by death and to push head-on into the swinging sabres and screaming. They are all, without exception, survivors. The weak, the unlucky and the cowardly are weeded out quickly by the trials of direct combat, leaving only those who are willing to walk into the exhausting, harrowing crush of the worst kind of war again and again.

There is only fury left. Red-blooded, searing hot vengeance, vengeance delivered at the point of a hwando, or the shaft of an arrow, by the arms and will of Korean's wronged sons. Only months ago, this reality had been unimaginable; life had been unbroken peace for two hundred years. Now the country has turned upside down. The cities are burning, smoke curdling the heavens with the blackness of burnt souls. The bodies of slaughtered citizenry are scattered in the open, forming oceans of horror that sear the memory, such is the scale of death that has been visited to Joseon.

Atrocity, treachery, trauma. The bastard Wae, the bastard bastards had come and killed so many, so many in the most vicious and ignominious fashion, bodies missing heads, heads missing noses and ears, corpses bisected horizontally, diagonally as if in sport, some mangled and twisted beyond human form, some trailing or patterned with red making the stories of their ending.

So what more is there other than vengeance? Everything else has ended. The country of Joseon had once been a paradise of learning and discourse. The publication of thousands upon thousands of treatises and books about agriculture, medicine, astronomy, philosophy, and literature preserved and built upon past knowledge for the betterment of all people. With the development of Silhak; the pragmatic, virtuous, patriotic Confucian governance there rose a renaissance in Joseon’s economy and sciences. The people of Korea had built, carefully, a vision for the salvation of society with the dreams of a finer future based on creativity, reason and knowledge.

No longer. Such things have been torn away, and the shift is as extreme as day to night, as light to dark, the inverse of everything familiar as where there was colour, now there is only ash, where there were words now only blankness, no meaning to be discerned from the grey. What new tragedy lurks around the corner, they wonder. Who else? who else is slain? Who is even still alive? Everything has changed and the people of Joseon have to change to, if they are to survive.

The people of Korea are no warriors. How could they be? What reason was there for warriors? Two hundred years of peace, with only skirmishes with horse nomads and Wae pirates. The people of Korea are intellectuals, artists, scientists, farmers, monks, poets, bureaucrats; builders all. So what are these men and women that trudge around the ash, jumping at every sound, skulking and hiding in their former homes? They are hollowed out, like one of the tombs of the ancient kings, old and enduring but no longer containing anything alive and animated.

This is what the warriors of Japan have brought, with their savage war. The bastards. The sheer barbarism of the split feet, they are an enemy with whom the Joseon could never share the sky. So be it. Some citizens of Joseon have committed suicide, having lost the will to live after losing everything. Choi Kyu-won has not given into despair. He has chosen instead to fight. This was a measured decision. He has purged his grief, even his anger. He has tried to forget the names and faces of his wife and children. The heart can only take so much. Perhaps it has given up on him. Perhaps it no longer exists. He thinks now, only of revenge. To do this, he has to think more clearly than ever before. He cannot be blinded by rage. Sadness is a crutch. He acts without feeling now, but faster, sharper and stronger than ever before. That is what the warriors of Japan have brought, with their savage war. They have destroyed his country and created something darker and more vicious in its place.

Kyu-won has a recurring dream. In it a tiger stalks the woodlands near his home. There are cacophonies of noises, somehow enhanced and sharpened to razor clarity; the mournful calls of birds, the snapping or twigs and ferns underfoot, the guttural, wet purr of some vast larynx. He has consulted shamans as to its meaning but to no avail. He now believes the Japanese to be the tiger from his nightmares, brought to life. Kyu-won is no cheokhogapsa, he has never hunted tigers as a profession. But like the people of Joseon, he has been thrown into a new dreadful world and he will have to learn quickly, or die. The tiger is stronger and larger. But the Joseon people have killed tigers before.

Kyu-won leads a unit of pengbaesu, the shield-bearing frontline warriors. Their equipment is sword, axe, mace and shield, their armour is chainmail, lamellar, plate and mail and the occasional brigandine. His warriors are mostly stocky brutes, walls of men, rough and loutish, able to bear the trauma of close war. In the Band of Good Will, his soldiers operate in concert with pole-weapon soldiers behind as is the tradition of Joseon battle formations. These former soldiers hail from the Left Guard army from Gyeongsang province and fate and circumstance have brought them into this righteous army, but former comrades work best with each other, so the soldiers of the Left Guard continue to fight together. The formation acts and fights as one entity with Kyu-won bearing overall command. He is not the biggest man of the unit, not the strongest, nor the tallest. But all defer to him regardless. The measure of him is within him and all can see it, as clearly as he sees the tiger of his nightmares.

Now they fight once more. They fight not to reclaim anything, for it is all lost, only to repay the ruin wrought upon them. They fight for vengeance. They fight for hatred and fury and anguish. Fight on. Fight and grunt and turn and kill and spit and strike and scream and to the end and death.

(최규원 대 (崔奎遠隊) form the fourth unit in my righteous army and round out the core of my Joseon army, the core being my first four units which I conceptualise as the basis of the broader army. For my fourth unit I wanted to explore some core unit concepts of the Joseon army, and the pengbaesu are very important for the early Joseon army. The pengbaesu also visually fit the Korean identity; their blue dragon shields invoke the imagery of blue Joseon dragons which is so iconic of Korea even today. Their chainmail and plate and mail were a chance to explore new armour types. I have my first chainmail armoured trooper in the army in this unit, with the first 'bowl' type helmet on the same sculpt. I wanted an infantry unit that embodied the Joseon army but which was also visually intimidating, something to square up to the professional troops of the invading Japanese. The pengbaesu and their polearm support worked perfectly.

The concept of this unit is based on the real battle formation of the early Joseon army - a standard order of battle was to have pengbaesu in the front, chongtong gunners following them, spearmen behind them, long swordsmen armed with a long single-edged sword each behind them to intercept enemies, and archers in the rear (or swordsmen and archer ranks swapped). This order of battle can change, with elements omitted according to circumstances. I didn't want to have a mix of ranged and melee in this unit as the Basic Impetus rules system cannot account for this so I kept the spirit of the formation by moving the spearmen up. As such, the second rank of this unit is equipped with polearms; spears, halberds and tridents. Tridents in particular are iconic to the Joseon Koreans, so it was good to represent them here in this unit.

This unit is the most conversion-heavy so far. The front rankers on the side are armoured in scale brigandine and brigandine - so could be interpreted to be members of the elite gapsa, which fought on the flanks of armies. They could also just represent well-armoured pengbaesu. As such, I thought the reference to the flank-fighting gapsa was a nice touch to embody the spirit of Joseon formations. These models come from Black Watch Miniatures https://www.black-watch-miniatures.de/, and used to be purchasable from Hagen Miniatures https://www.hagen-miniatures.de/. I dislike working with metal models, but the number of Joseon sculpts are limited. The centre-left front ranker is a conversion from a HaT El Cid Andalusian Infantry figure with a Red Box Chinese light cavalry head. The centre-right front ranker is a Red Box Korean Heavy Cavalry sculpt with reworked legs and robes in greenstuff. I gave him greenstuff chainmail sleeves and drilled out the weapon to give him a new one from the Wolf of War Taobao store. The shields are from the HaT Carthaginian Command and Cavalry set except for the left-most shield which is from the Wolf of War Taobao store (which is the only shield with sculpted details - a nice break from all the freehand.) The second-rankers are either Red Box Chinese infantry or Red Box Korean Infantry, which have been modified with greenstuff breastplates. I wanted to do this both to match my visual reference of the short film: A Symbol of Enthusiasm by the Jinju National museum but also to make these soldiers seem more professional and intimidating - I wanted a unit that could stand head-on against their samurai foes. The armour is eomshimgap - cotton, paper or leather armour. The helmeted trooper in the back has a head taken from the Red Box Korean Heavy Infantry set with the top spike removed and fixed with green stuff. Some of the models have green stuff beards to keep in the theme with bearded Koreans in the broader army.

When painting this unit, the first rankers were inspired by images of pengbaesu online, with the leader in plate and mail inspired by royal guards found in Seoul today. The shield designs are all inspired by real examples and the freehand painting took a very, very long time. I made sure to work in Joseon blue in each shield to adhere to the broader armour colour palette. Joseon dragons are an iconic Joseon symbol, so this unit feels to embody Joseon cultural imagery very well. The leader has a grey and white trim on his armour which references one of two royal guard plate and mail uniforms in use today, with the other design being used for my cavalry unit. The tunic for my chainmail front-ranker references colours used in pengbaesu art. The dark metal colours of scale armour used in my right-most front ranker draws inspiration from dark coloured scale armour used in modern recreations. The last front ranker is the first model in the army to wear orange brigandine, which I changed from red after the basecoat as I realised there were already two 'reddish' tones in the front ranks. This gave me an opportunity to branch out and explore some more esoteric colours. Regardless, the blue on the shields and the red of the robes and helmet plumes matches the rest of the army.

The colour tones and sculpts of the back-rankers are directly inspired by the short film: A Symbol of Enthusiasm: https://jinju.museum.go.kr/kor/html/sub03/03040103.html

The colour schemes took a while to formulate, but I eventually managed to produce something similar. I wondered if the uniforms would clash with the broad white colour palette used by the other infantry units, but I think the earthly colours of this unit don't stand out and so blend to an extent with the other units. The red hat and helmet plumes visually tie in with all the other units as well, so there is a link there, and fits in with the red colour imagery theme of the army. The armoured halberd trooper has a redder breastplate, as fitting in with the visual reference from the short film. Three of the eight models have beards in this unit - in keeping with the bearded theme.

The positioning of the troopers is close as per the other bases to show their spirit of camaraderie and aligned to look outward on the sides, as if they are fighting back-to-back against a numerically superior foe. The benefits of diorama bases are to allow you to tell a story by posing and positioning as well as create stories, which can be extreme conversions or small, simple choices. In this case, I kept it simple.

The base has a raised Styrofoam hill and adheres to the ideas and concepts already explained for the other infantry bases. My current soil painting recipe is: Scorched brown - bestial brown - tallarn sand + codex grey - tallarn sand - bleached bone. Mud and dirt is painted on the troopers' legs to evidence their worn nature and dire straits, and to tie this unit visually in with the broader army.)

(unit 4 of 10 - 이광수의 대 (李光洙隊) - Joseon Dynasty Korean Righteous Army - The Band of Good Will - Basic Impetus)

And since this will be the last unit entry post in a while, here is a shot of the whole army:

Posted by Xantippos on 10 Nov 2022, 14:57

I love those colourful shields :) , they have in all a very realistic feel. This makes me want to buy all the Korean sets out there that I don't have yet, specially the rather recent cavalry Red Box did.

Nice to see some conversions. I guess you could also use some of the Korean cavalry, cut them by the waist and place them in other infantry legs to have more variety.
Xantippos  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by zirrian on 11 Nov 2022, 16:10

Out of curiosity, what is inaccurate about the Smol Korean infantry? You might be able to contact them and have it corrected, as they are digital sculpts, it's a lot easier to correct them compared to physical sculpts that were moulded and cast already :)
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 12 Nov 2022, 13:22

Xantippos wrote:I love those colourful shields :) , they have in all a very realistic feel. This makes me want to buy all the Korean sets out there that I don't have yet, specially the rather recent cavalry Red Box did.

Nice to see some conversions. I guess you could also use some of the Korean cavalry, cut them by the waist and place them in other infantry legs to have more variety.

Yeah, I researched Joseon shield designs and finalised three I wanted to replicate. It was very annoying. I should have done transfers but I just like freehanding stuff. :(

I really like the relatively recent Red Box Korean sets. They're just great sets, more modern and better and more varied sculpts than the older Korean Red Box infantry. The leader for this most recent Pengbaesu unit is a mounted Red Box Korean converted to be an infantryman, so yep, in the process of transforming cavalry into infantry, very important to get more unique sculpts in the army!

zirrian wrote:Out of curiosity, what is inaccurate about the Smol Korean infantry? You might be able to contact them and have it corrected, as they are digital sculpts, it's a lot easier to correct them compared to physical sculpts that were moulded and cast already :)

Ah, so this is a great time to show off my research. I'm going to go through each problem unit individually. You know what, I will contact them later, when I have time, I do hope they change it.

Based on the Yi Sun Shin statue - it's understandable why they went this direction. But the statue itself is believed to be historically inaccurate by Korean historians. Korean brigandine armours tended to have armoured sleeves rather than pads, which were more of a feature on Chinese armour. The scales on this sculpt also are too low down to the legs, they should stop and then be studded brigandine. Also the helmet looks way too big.

Lamellar armour on archers should have shoulder components, if it's meant to be plate and mail, it's missing the mail, if it's some home-made makeshift armour, why would there be such conformity in the figures?

Very nearly accurate but no Joseon uniforms have these huge buttons. Uniforms tend not to have 'rims' or different edges. I do appreciate that the sculptor gave them what appears to be paper or cotton armour atop the usual uniform, rare to see that represented.

As above.

As above.

Again- Koreans didn't utilise shoulder pad armours, (unless it was lamellar, but that's a whole different thing and it looked different). This just looks like Samurai armour. It looks like the sculptor got samurai models, changed the head and removed the ropework detail on the armour.

As above. Literally look like samurai with Korean helmets. Some helmet variety would be nice, he could have added some brigandine helmets as well. Models just aren't very usable if you're going for historical accuracy.

As above.

Looks like it's meant to be brigandine. But it has no studs. it has these weird rectangular patterns instead that has never been seen in any artwork or costumes in period dramas or movies.

As above. Also weird samurai ropework at end of thigh flaps.

As above.

Strange ropework decoration on end of thigh flaps. Looks like samurai stuff, but other than that, works. Glad to have more sculpts.

Posted by Xantippos on 13 Nov 2022, 08:17

Great class of history ;) . They are indeed completely "wargamesque", meant to be for 28mm style. Really never liked this dwarfish style, maximum I accept are Strelets proportions, this is a bit far too much.

So, taking the chance to speak to an expert :), it is completely wrong that RedBox never gave any shield for any of their Korean infantry right? I mean, I have always found it strange to find almost none of them with one, when looking at artworks and illustrations, always you see something.

And I think the same applies to Chinese soldiers. For some reason, Caesar only gives some shields to the Ch'in infantry, and the rest almost nothing.
Xantippos  

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 13 Nov 2022, 23:42

Xantippos wrote:Great class of history ;) . They are indeed completely "wargamesque", meant to be for 28mm style. Really never liked this dwarfish style, maximum I accept are Strelets proportions, this is a bit far too much.

Yeah I'm not a fan of this style either, and I came from Warhammer with heroic proportions, where everyone has huge heads and hands. It's not a huge deal for me though and I appreciate just having more options. Some of the troops provided by Smol are okay, and some is better than none.

Xantippos wrote:So, taking the chance to speak to an expert :), it is completely wrong that RedBox never gave any shield for any of their Korean infantry right? I mean, I have always found it strange to find almost none of them with one, when looking at artworks and illustrations, always you see something.

And I think the same applies to Chinese soldiers. For some reason, Caesar only gives some shields to the Ch'in infantry, and the rest almost nothing.

Haha, I'm no expert, I just wanted to learn it to get the army right. So from my understanding, the army before the Imjin War was organised according to the Five flags / Five military commands armies system, where you had various classes of soldiers, the infantry at the start of the war was essentially: spearmen, long swordsmen (although sources seem to be vague about these long swordsmen who operated in the rear ranks - so not entirely sure about these), archers, chongtong gunners and the elites, called pengbaesu, who were armed with sword and shield and were the best trained and the gapsa, who were considered the highest standard of soldier in the nation and only served in the national army rather than the provincial guards.

But by the second year of the war, Joseon began to reorganise its military structure under the sogo system. Under this system, units of musketeers were added (as a direct influence from Japanese) and were required to make up one third of every platoon of 33 soldiers (i.e. 11 musketeers for each platoon).

BUT TO DIRECTLY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. The Redbox infantry sets aren't technically inaccurate. The Korean infantry set portray the guards in the provinces that could have served as soldiers in a pinch, the heavy infantry set portray the gapsa elites, but these are all reasonably accurate. Neither class had to fight with shields. However, there are currently no 1/72 sets that offer the shield-wielding pengbaesu, which was a specific class of soldier that specialised in shield and sword. So it's not that the current sets are wrong, it's just that they're lacking the diversity of troop types that a Joseon Korean army would have had. It's why I had to convert my own (and freehand them).

Yeah the Caesar Ming sets could have done with more diversity too. The Ming army did use shields and various armour types and the Caesar Ming set only offers a narrow interpretation. Shields were used by the Han, Tang and Song dynasty. The Han set comes with shields too though, from Caesar.

I think the earlier sets suffered because it was hard to get accurate historical sources in English, and to an extent it still is. You have sets that show cursory research or take imagery from tv shows, but that's because it was hard to get better info. Osprey still haven't released a book on the Joseon Koreans, so if you want information you have to dig through the internet.

Posted by Xantippos on 14 Nov 2022, 14:09

Many thanks ;) . You have discovered to me the Chongtongs too, didn't know there were cannons of arrow-spears! now I need to make one :P .

Yes, the Caesar Han have a few shields, although only 3 out of the 10 swordsmen carry one. In theory Caesar shouldn't have problems, as they are a Taiwanese company as far as I know. RedBox being ukrainian can be more forgiven about this matter.

What is good and interesting about ancient far east warfare, is that usually, after good searching, there is plenty of accurate information, and is something, that, at least to the West, looks very fresh and hardly seen before.
Xantippos  

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 20 Mar 2024, 14:04

Long time no update; this project hasn't been forgotten, but it has been sidelined because I have to finish my Sengoku Japanese for a real life event.

However, for Joseon enjoyers, I've been working on making my army more historically accurate, behold the old army:

and here is the army, remade after research to be (mostly) historically accurate:

There have been minor changes such as making one of the Peng-bae-su's shields to be the same size as the others, the cavalryman's lamellar made more accurate and his new flail, but the major changes are greenstuff Hyeop-su for many of the infantry, which are coloured rather than just white and the addition of kettle helmets

I've got a series of handy video guides for this army so far:

Posted by Santi Pérez on 21 Mar 2024, 18:26

Interesting updates on your Joseon Koreans, Owen. Go on with them! :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress