Work in Progress

My first attempt

Posted by stormy54 on 18 Jan 2022, 16:59

Hi All
This is my first attempt at serious painting and making it public, needless to say I am still working on them but thought some input may point me in the right direction. They are primed with gray Vallejo Surface Primer, block coloured. I will wash them Nuln oil.
Faces............what to do with them, sepia wash?
They are Airfix U.S marines (1960's ish) and Bluebird Zero Hour figures, trying to portray them as future fighters/military for tabletop games, Stargrave, Star Breach and Alfa zone, and may even try Traveller.

Thanks
Last edited by Peter on 18 Jan 2022, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed picture(s).
stormy54  Europe

Posted by MABO on 18 Jan 2022, 17:25

Hello, in the FAQ you find this concerning posting pictures here:

Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

;-) :yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 Jan 2022, 19:07

I am not very tech savvy and I used to have problems posting pictures in this forum. Now I can usually manage okay. But I still have to reopen this thread every time to remind myself how to do it:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20213

lacc has not been spotted in years but I am glad he sent this before leaving. It is easy and fun once you get the hang of it. Please take the time to go through these few simple steps so we can see your WIP.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 18 Jan 2022, 19:28

Fixed the pictures. The codes are okay but you need to use the [img] button! ;-)

And use the preview button so you can see what you will post.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 Jan 2022, 20:31

Lots of thin layers and build up a slightly lighter color in the areas where light would hit.

For the faces a sepia wash would be an improvement. I like to use very very thinned down greenish brown paint around the 5:00 shadow area and reddish brown on the cheeks as well.

Posted by stormy54 on 18 Jan 2022, 21:08

:oops:
Thank you all for your helpful comments :notworthy:
:yeah:
Got it now
stormy54  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Michael Robert on 18 Jan 2022, 23:03

Hi stormy54
Some comments more. Just lost most of my painting duels, so I ´m THE guidance to painting :-)
Why not use some better figures than the very old Airfix. We just discussed nostalgia, but well carved figures makes painting easier and allows better detail and contrasts. Then there are so many styles and techniques - just scroll around. You like washed down layers. To my taste you should add some more because they are still quite too clear. Also, by adding more layers you can add « dirt » around certain areas, sweat. If too dark you can set highlights again. Another item is the texture of your paint, mostly how fluid it is. It will create more or less contrast….
And in the end we all try and try and try…
Have fun
Greets
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Jan 2022, 07:11

Those are all excellent suggestions. If you want a great result, start with a great figure. I also like to thin my paints out and mix them with matte agent to keep them from looking shiny.

Posted by stormy54 on 19 Jan 2022, 10:26

Hello
Wise words, thanks, I knew I would get some good help on here, it's worth having a go, being rubbish but having guidance toward getting better. I am now going to look for some new well cast figures, Italeri, Ceasar, Heller, any other suggestions?
:drool:
stormy54  Europe

Posted by Peter on 19 Jan 2022, 14:39

stormy54 wrote:Hello
Wise words, thanks, I knew I would get some good help on here, it's worth having a go, being rubbish but having guidance toward getting better. I am now going to look for some new well cast figures, Italeri, Ceasar, Heller, any other suggestions?
:drool:

Heller is the same as Airfix. Revell is also good.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by tullo on 19 Jan 2022, 21:09

hi
the only thing that helps is practice practice practice then it gets better
greetings

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
tullo  Germany

Return to Work in Progress