Work in Progress

[Basic Impetus] Ancient Mauryan Indians - Tremble the Earth

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 02 Apr 2021, 05:50

Hello all,

Welcome to the second project log / multimedia project that I've started on this website. This time I'm creating an army from the Ancient Indian Mauryan Empire. Ever since I saw the Alexander film (2004) directed by Oliver Stone I was impressed by the sheer power and visual impact of elephants on screen and while I now know that armies such as those of Carthage and the Hellenistic Diadochi adopted them for their own use, I love the visuals of the Indians and the rich culture which both differ so much from western armies. I considered recreating Raja Porus' army, but the draw of the Mauryan Empire is that it is was a mighty, unified kingdom and its armies have hardly been depicted at 1/72 scale. The relative rarity of ancient Indian depictions in 1/72 scale is also fun; my references are fewer, I have to dig a little but it's part of the challenge.

I've conceptualised the army as the beginnings of the empire's unification: they are still fresh and full of vigour, change is in the air and the Mauryan dynasty is rising from the stupor of the old Nanda empire. In the wake of the chaos of the Macedonian invasions, with Raja Porus defeated at the Battle of the Hydapses, India was divided among Macedonian Satrapies, oligarchic military republics (ganatantras) and client kingdoms (formerly of the Mahajanapadas) with Northern Indian being governed by the Nanda empire while Southern Tamilakam was held by the Tamil dynasties of Pandya, Chola and Chera; the three monarchical states and scattered independent chieftains, the Velir, while beneath them were clan chiefs titled kizhar or mannar.

The Mauryans would be the great unifiers, lead by a great dynasty which counted amongst its line the likes of Ashoka the Great, that would conquer and control the largest empire to have ever existed in the Indian subcontinent, spanning over five million square kilometres under a single and efficient system of finance, administration, and security. The Maruyans would fight back the Seleucids, defeat the Macedonian satrapies, overthrow numerous independent oligarchs and create a new order under one dynasty, one ruler.

The list I am using calls for two units of elephants, one unit of heavy chariots, one unit of cavalry, three units of archers, one unit of close-quarters foot, one unit of mountain archers and one unit of mountain javelinmen. This is the classical Indians army list from Basic Impetus rather than the Maurya Empire list, as the latter seems to be a more integrated with Scythian and Indo-Greek elements, and I wanted a more localised army, which still reflects the period.

When creating an army I try to have distinct themes that run throughout the units and give the whole a visual identity. The keywords for the Ancient Indians are: bare flesh, white kilts, white tubans/topknot bindings, floral patterns, saffron accessories, blank unpatterned areas of colour for basic units, elaborate patterning and colour variety for nobility.

1/72 Ancient Indian Mauryan Empire Army - Tremble the Earth, for We Ride

Veevek, the son of Keyur, surnamed Doolabh, is a Senānī/Senāpati, one the ten royal generals of the army under the Mauryan Maharaja Chandragupta, and therefore constitutes a close advisor and Ratnin. He was appointed by Chandragupta to command in war, having showed great valour in warfare and a keen grasp of strategy. Being a former Raja of the Ashmakas, he fought bravely before being subjugated by the Nanda Empire. In its collapse, Chandragupta offered many subjects of former Nanda rule the chance to join him, which Veevek hesitatingly accepted at first, proving himself over a series of battles to his new lord. Veevek has long come to terms with his fate; no longer will he rule, he will provide great service to those greater and worthier than him. He dreams now only of performing to the best of his ability and to serve his lord faithfully. He is a fighter of puissance, skill and strength. His body is as hard as the thunderbolt, holding fast by his promises, and proud of his manliness. Secretly, Veevek despises fighting and warfare, dismissing it as barbaric. However, in an age of war his skills and insight are needed more than ever so he takes up weary arms once more, hoping for a new age of peace.

He is a warrior of rare righteousness and great ascetic wealth. To him, the very sight and touch of the dishonest and association with them causes diminution of virtue, and men (that are doomed to these), never attain purity of mind. In his army he forbids the use of poisoned and barbed weapons. He chants the Vedas daily, observes all practices of the etiquette of war, disdaining treachery in all forms. Not even his foes may speak ill of his conduct. He is no son of the Vrishni race who slayeth a woman, a boy or an old man. The Maharaja has recognised that Veevek is a man of righteous Dharma and as such places him to lead in honourable wars where he may put his talents to use. Veevek is aware his Maharaja is a gifted and wily ruler and to rule is to sometimes to walk hard, even despicable pathways, but Veevek will not stoop to this even if he recognises his lord must. The respect in which they hold each other ensures an unspoken agreement that good wars, with honour, is given to his honourable Senānī while filthy, brutal conflicts are given to Chandragupta's most ruthless generals. Whether Veevek's rigidity will be his eventual downfall is still to be seen.

Veevek wears bands of dyed leather armour, which could be the jalika, headless armour. He rarely sees direct combat and so while his position affords him a coat of mail he disdains this. He wears a linen robe which is embroidered with gold and purple in the tradition of the Rajas and though he has been deposed, as a mark of his seniority and former status he is encouraged to wear his former trappings. He rides atop his external heart, his very self in another birth, his vital airs exhaled outside from him, his companion in battle and in sport, rightly named Hastinapura, a lord of elephants.

(Senānī Veevek was created over a very long time span of two months of intense work over Feb - March 2021, with the model being undercoated 12 Jan 2019 and the first draft of the skin being done on 17 May 2020. The skin of the elephant took three drafts to get right, with variations of light grey, then dark grey, then brown grey, with an eventual very dark, almost blackish grey with tones of dark brown being the final colour. My research on Indian elephant skin has given me the impression that elephants reflect the colour of the dirt they inhabit, which they use as a protective coating and so the skin may have a large breadth of variations. I drew my primary inspiration from videos of an Indian elephant festival, where the skin appeared as a very dark black-brown-grey and which I settled on as a clean elephant's skin colour which looks almost darkly wet and slick - so quite fitting for a rainforest base. This will also allow me to contrast with later elephants I will create which I want to be dustier and lighter in more arid environments.

I wanted the elephant to have floral patterns painted upon its head - I've seen beautiful decorations in modern Indian elephant festivals I want to replicate, and the visuals of nature and painted elephants are more suited to these Asiatic beasts than those appropriated by the Greeks. The elephant rug was a great opportunity for some freehand - I chose the peacock because I would have few other opportunities to paint one in 1/72 scale (how many other armies would use peacock imagery?) and they are also a Mauryan dynastic symbol. I've been told the body looks like a blue ballsack - this is entirely unintentional. The floral pattern is continued on the rug on the borders and on the head covering. They also match thematically with the rainforest base.

I used saffron as a spot colour because it's bright and vivid, working well with white kilts and robes. It is also an Indian national colour and quite exotic for most armies, perfect for making my models stand out on the battlefield. I made the secondary rug cloth and chair white to visually link with the rest of the army, which will have kilts of white - the elephant Hastinapura will have his own white block of colour and white pattern on his head covering - similar to a white turban. From my research parasols were mostly white, so I kept to that. The blue and non-metallic-metal gold rug rims just seemed like naturally aesthetic colour choices.

I made sure to vary the skin tones of the crew. India is host to a variety of skin colours and I wanted to reflect that diversity. The skin was mostly standard skin tones mixed with shades of brown. I added a standard bearer by Speira Miniatures to give the orignal Lucky Toys elephant model even more presence - it makes sense to me that the general would have command colours and means of communication. I kept the banner simple to keep in the theme of large blocks of colour for the units rather than add moons, suns and crescents. Future banners will follow in the 'simple blocks of colour' trend.

The rainforest base was entirely fitting with the Indian environment. I want each army to have thematically linked bases and an Indian army would give me an opportunity to make a native rainforest environment which would contrast very well with most of my other armies. The base is made of cheap aquarium plastic plants from China, some model vines made of metal and cloth leaves, basing bark, 'mushroom' grass tufts, green flock to simulate moss, model autumn leaves and model summer mixture lichen. The earth is just sand spraypainted black, with random dark browns and other tones mixed in for variety. I wanted black soil as rich, moist dirt looks quite dark. AK Interactive's water effects and Citadel's gloss varnish were liberally applied to give the base a post-rain atmosphere. The chaotic basing variety really captures the vibe of a rainforest for me, so I'm quite happy with it.

Image (I was researching elephant eyes - they seem like quite a vivid amber.)

I'm finding it quite difficult to find name conventions for units, the only reference I have is from the Arthashastra, which states that "The constituents of the array of the army should be called after the names of trumpet sounds, flags and ensigns." I'm not entirely sure how to name units after trumpet sounds, I'm not sure if names after flags are based on colours or symbols. I'm also considering the vast size of the Mauryan army, with its own hierarchies. Basically, the ancient Indian forces were divided into squads, platoons, battalions and so on, with a corresponding leadership hierarchy. The Arthashastra says "for every ten members of each of the constituents of the army, there must be one commander, called padika; ten padikas under a senápati; ten senápatis under a náyaka, (leader)." The number of unit names would begin to run thin for trumpet sounds and flags unless there were combinations of different elements, so I have settled on naming my units after their commanders, so perhaps Ugrasrava's archers or such. I have named this unit after the general Senānī Veevek Doolabh. I always knew I would eventually create an ancient Indian army and it only felt right to start with one of their iconic war elephants to give this project a mighty entrance, with a mighty model.)

(Unit 1 of 10 - Senānī Veevek Doolabh - Ancient Mauryan Empire Indian Army - Basic Impetus)

Previous Projects:

[Basic Impetus] Ancient British Celts: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23514
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Howlin on 02 Apr 2021, 09:03

I have this model, and you have done a lot to elevate it to something very nice and lively, From the subtle details like the rings on the tusks, to adding the flag bearer. Great color choices, and your painting style is uniquely its own artist fingerprint. I like the pops of color, and that elephant skin conditioning on the face and tip of the trunk. Those types of details I have not seen. I can't wait to see what you do for the rest of the sets to get some more inspiration!
Howlin  United States of America

Posted by sberry on 02 Apr 2021, 10:17

What a great elephant (in all meanings of the word)! This is perhaps the best paintjob on a war elephant that I have ever seen, the detail is incredible!
sberry  Germany

Posted by Peter on 02 Apr 2021, 16:47

Looks fantastic Owen! :thumbup:

Why aren't they wearing a safetybelt? :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 02 Apr 2021, 18:05

Simply wonderful work. I also appreciate the great amount of work you have invested in the written description. You have captured the flavor of the ancient Indian texts I am familiar with.

My favorite parts are the painted decorations on Hastinapura's eye and the embroidery on the blanket/carpet thingy.

Really wonderful stuff. You have cleary poured your heart and soul into this project, and the result is exceptional quality of a comprehensiveness that stands above.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Graeme on 03 Apr 2021, 03:40

Very nice!

Your army clearly contains a very talented elephant face painter and some excellent weavers.

Peter wrote:Why aren't they wearing a safetybelt? :eh:

In case they roll the elephant.
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Howlin on 03 Apr 2021, 08:17

Graeme wrote:Very nice!

Your army clearly contains a very talented elephant face painter and some excellent weavers.

A Mahout worth his salts should go down with the "hip"
Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Chariobaude on 03 Apr 2021, 15:28

i will follow this project with great interest : for your amazing painting skills off course, but for all the knowledge on that particular timeframe and history too !
Thank uou ;-)
Chariobaude  France

Posted by wilberforcefrog on 03 Apr 2021, 16:18

I am utterly impressed by the art and detail, especially with the elephant's eyes! They look so lively.
wilberforcefrog  United States of America

Posted by ToneTW on 04 Apr 2021, 22:24

Well done Owen the detail work is very impressive!
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 05 Apr 2021, 05:50

Howlin wrote:I have this model, and you have done a lot to elevate it to something very nice and lively, From the subtle details like the rings on the tusks, to adding the flag bearer. Great color choices, and your painting style is uniquely its own artist fingerprint. I like the pops of color, and that elephant skin conditioning on the face and tip of the trunk. Those types of details I have not seen. I can't wait to see what you do for the rest of the sets to get some more inspiration!

Thanks! Yeah I haven't seen the pale skin conditioning on other elephants either in 1/72 scale and I really don't know why. I've noticed many people paint elephants a standard grey and leave it at that but I think there's a lot more skin variety and I really agonised how to convey it as well as what would work for an indian elephant specifically. I even went to the zoo. Zoo elephants looked like this.

Which was what I was originally going for, but it looked too dusty and arid so I might use that as inspiration for my Carthaginian elephants in like 7 years or whatever.

sberry wrote:What a great elephant (in all meanings of the word)! This is perhaps the best paintjob on a war elephant that I have ever seen, the detail is incredible!

Thank you very much! I am very hestitant to claim the best title of anything, ever, but I will say the detail was agonising and drove me to fits of despair, it's amazing how long it took.

Peter wrote:Looks fantastic Owen! :thumbup:

Why aren't they wearing a safetybelt? :eh:

They didn't even have stirrups lol, they had to work their way up :mrgreen:

Bluefalchion wrote:Simply wonderful work. I also appreciate the great amount of work you have invested in the written description. You have captured the flavor of the ancient Indian texts I am familiar with.

My favorite parts are the painted decorations on Hastinapura's eye and the embroidery on the blanket/carpet thingy.

Really wonderful stuff. You have cleary poured your heart and soul into this project, and the result is exceptional quality of a comprehensiveness that stands above.

Thanks! The research took ages so I was trying to both get content across but also the vibe and writing style from the old Indian epics, and vibe can be a difficult thing to capture.

I really do try for my projects and my aim is to continue to do so. It's more fun that way, so hopefully when I get to the Seleucids or Roman legions or Ancient Assyrians or whatever I'll probably go deep into research for those as well. I also keep in mind that these cultures are all ancestors to modern day societies and people look back on their history with pride, so like with the Celts as before, I am careful to respect the history where possible and bring it to glorified mini form.

Graeme wrote:

Hahaha. Introducing the latest form of extreme sports....

Chariobaude wrote:i will follow this project with great interest : for your amazing painting skills off course, but for all the knowledge on that particular timeframe and history too !
Thank uou ;-)

Thank you sir! Believe me this knowledge was very, very hard won. There's no dedicated Osprey on this, I was compiling material for the better part of a year.

wilberforcefrog wrote:I am utterly impressed by the art and detail, especially with the elephant's eyes! They look so lively.

Yeah I like the eyes too, the deep amber and the black dot are really different from human eyes, but look very nice for the animals.

ToneTW wrote:Well done Owen the detail work is very impressive!

Thanks Tony, looking forward to seeing your next models once the rebasing is done :-)

--

I had to compile a lot of material in researching this and I'm conscious of how hard it was to gather, so in case anyone is interested here's the Ancient Indian painting guide from Warhammer Ancients:

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 15 May 2021, 06:26

Hi all,

So after a lot of time experimenting with paint and poses, I've finished my next unit. This is my first mass infantry unit, and so forms the prototype of what my units will probably look like. After a impactful, centrepiece model I thought it was time to try a line infantry unit which the bulk of the army would be composed of. It was quite experimental with working out how the skin would look like, and I've settled on four different skin tones:

A Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown, Snakebite Leather, Snakebite Leather/Bleached Bone layering method,
A Tanned Flesh/Bestial Brown, Dwarf Flesh/Bestial Brown, Elf Flesh/Bestial Brown layering method,
A Scorched Brown, Scorched Brown/Tanned Flesh, Scorched Brown/Dwarf Flesh layering method
A Snakebite Leather/Bestial Brown, Snakebite Leather, Snakebite Leather/Bleached Bone layering method.

I couldn't find my guides for painting Indian skin online, so I made do with the mostly Citadel paints I had, and just researched real life Indian skin and just went from there. It's a shame I mostly couldn't just take paint from the pot, it would have made the process a lot faster, but I'm happy with the (time consuming) end result.

I think I rushed the ideas for the army themes and didn't fully consider what I wanted to define this army, I've now revaluated the previous themes to emphasise what I consider makes the Ancient Indians stand out:

The keywords for the Ancient Indians are: bare flesh, white clothing, floral patterns, saffron accessories, gold and silver jewellery; earrings, arm rings, bamboo, mounted on high; tamers of nature, the power and glory of empire, blank unpatterned areas of colour for basic units, elaborate patterning and colour variety for nobility, the rainforest.

I've also reconsidered the naming convention of the Arthashastra, which states that "The constituents of the array of the army should be called after the names of trumpet sounds, flags and ensigns." It appears that in the context of the sentence, ensigns refers to a flag. The smallest unit was the of ten members, and it seems ridiculous that every such unit had a banner, that would be too many banners!

Trying to reason this, how could ancient padika units be referenced in the heat of battle? Perhaps a single unit of ten wouldn't be distinguished with a name - troop movements had to be en-masse to be effective. A commander might need to peel off a few men off for purposes, but again I don't think that would merit naming every single ten-member-unit, but he would be able to remember the ten padikas under him, they could also just be given numerical designations (I'm completely speculating here). As such, I'm going to stick to my past convention of padika's unit as an informal name, so you might get Rishyasringa's Archers of ten members under the Silver Moon standard, with the Silver Moons constituting a hundred members.

Thusly, I think a larger senapati Gulma 'platoon' could be named after its banner or a trumpet sound, which would make sense in the chaos of battle, if a general sees a large mass of men are under a Silver Moon banner, he knows they're the Silver Moons, simple and practical. The broader Gulma ('platoon') for this unit is the Candratāraka (The Moon and the Stars), denoting their banner. Unit organisation in this period has multiple interpretations, and I'm going with the units of the same type approach, not the combined arms unit approach.

I intend to explore the detail of the Mauryan Empire army in a future video, but research and general life are taking a lot of time, so I'll get to it when I get to it. I feel like I'm doing a Masters in History right now, and my life is busy enough as it is...

--

1/72 Ancient Indian Mauryan Empire Army

Rishyasringa Dhanurgraha, Candratāraka (Rishyasringa's Archers, The Moon and the Stars - Sanskrit) are one of the Patti units constituting the Gulma of The Moon and the Stars. Rishyasringa serves as a padika of archers, appointed for his distant family connections to a line of minor lords serving under the Maharaja. Having achieved no deeds of note, having lived a bland, middling life given to idleness nor being favoured by the ruling elites, his appointment was a courtesy and acknowledgement of his noble bloodline, which in its spread and strength was as broad as a Sola tree. Rishyasringa sees it as unfortunate, having managed to avoid the fierce fighting in the rebellion against the Nanda Dynasty but now has had the honour of military command placed upon him.

While Rishyasringa was born of the Kshatriyas caste, he always gravitated towards the arts of stone carving and music, living on fruits and roots while attired in ascetic garb, lacking many of the traditional virtues of warriorhood. Having never taken a wife, nor sired children, he feels the weight of years suddenly as the greater events of empire propel him, and all of them, forward with the irresistible power of a flood, to glory or disaster. With the heady atmosphere of the bright morning of a new empire, Rishyasringa is afraid there will be great battles to come in the days ahead. While reluctant, he is determined to fulfil his duties as best as he can, to change and atone for his lost youth and become a better, more courageous and steadfast man - if he survives. His archers are likewise unproven, being new recruits untested by war, yet disciplined and obedient in training. Only time will tell if they become listed in the honour rolls or merely the casualty lists.

(Rishyasringa Dhanurgraha are my first infantry unit, and as such is my experimental prototype and template for the standard for how my longbowmen will look. I didn't quite know how to paint Indian skin - there are no Warhammer equivalent guides online, or they don't focus on Indian skin in particular, so I simply used Google Images as my reference. My overall impression is there is a range of different tones, ranging from very dark to almost caucasian, stemming from an original Aryan basis. I wanted to reflect this diversity of indigenous peoples by including a mix of skin tones.

Almost all of my paints are by Citadel. My darkest skin colour uses a Scorched Brown base, mixed with tanned flesh and dwarf flesh for highlights. My midtone skin colour uses a Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown and Snakebite Leather base, with blending and additions of Skull White, or Bleached Bone or Elf Flesh for extreme highlighting. A lighter skin tone uses the standard Tanned Flesh, Dwarf Flesh and Elf Flesh mixed with Bestial Brown on all stages. My lightest skin tone uses a Snakebite Leather base, mixed with Bleached Bone or Elf Flesh as highlights, and produces a yellowish skin colour, which differs from the earthly browns. The caste system was not based primarily on skin colour, as castes included people of all physical variations.

I've noticed that in the variety of offerings for Ancient Indian archers, there are enough poses of archers firing and reloading to create a front rank of notched longbowmen, and a back rank of those preparing to fire. I do like the order of ranks in unison, and the discipline it implies. I put a little note in the background of the unit to reflect their order. I like to mix models from a variety of manufacturers when possible and in this case, the limited archer poses I had available actually maximised the diversity of manufacturers' products on this base. There are models from Lucky Toys, HaT, Newline Designs and Speira Miniatures and their different sculpts on the human anatomy also add to diversity. I want each archer unit to be armed by a sword-armed Padika (sergeant). This was originally because I have limited archer poses, but I've realised it's nice to have a unit leader for each base anyway.

I've been thinking about what makes this army unique, and I do like the idea of jewelry being a distinguishing visual. Arrians' Indica says: "They wear ivory ear-rings, that is, the rich Indians; the common people do not use them." The HaT models do seem to have ear rings modelled upon them and I think it's possible that soldiers may have attempted to emulate those of higher standing with ear rings of their own, even if they're cheaper copper and iron. I've painted these on accordingly. The clothing of this unit is white, and their accessories are saffron to have a common visual theme, but also gives them a sense of order; very different from the Celts I was painting before. Rishyasringa has a blue belt-sash as a spot colour, with a floral pattern to link back to the army's theme.

The base was done with the same principles as the Senānī's base. The surface area is smaller, so it is more difficult to have larger plants, so I had more emphasis on branches and parts of ferns.)

(Unit 2 of 10 - Rishyasringa Dhanurgraha - Ancient Mauryan Empire Indian Army - Basic Impetus)

Posted by Peter on 15 May 2021, 07:53

Excellent painted unit Owen! I like the skintones, but also all the rest how you painted them! Keep them coming! :thumbup:

Painting figures is a welcome moment of rest in a busy life! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 15 May 2021, 11:39

Great painting on this interesting and definitely very exotic ancient army. The skin tones are excellent, and I also like the other details - for instance, the way you have painted the bamboo longbows. Well done!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Michael Robert on 15 May 2021, 17:20

Hi Owen
Really nicely painted Indians. Lots of thought and research. This is all interesting and highly appreciated. Your painting goes realky well with the topic. So : chapeau!
Also I find it kind of courageous to start such a topic si thoroughly with so little on offer in terms of figures. Even converting is difficult. Maybe Assyrians with new heads/hats as heavies. Then I expect many elefants. Here the offer is not so bad. Well, you ´ll show us
Greetings to down under
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 15 May 2021, 17:36

I love the attention to detail you have shown with these figures.

But I expect that the archers will look a lot better if you give them bow strings.

It is pretty easy to do with one or two hairs from a paint brush (depending on taut or loose bow) and a few tiny drops of glue.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 16 May 2021, 02:23

Peter wrote:Excellent painted unit Owen! I like the skintones, but also all the rest how you painted them! Keep them coming! :thumbup:

Painting figures is a welcome moment of rest in a busy life! ;-)

Thanks, I'll keep chipping away but this is definitely going to be a slow moving project. I wouldn't call painting restful, more like stressful. :P It's when I get to the end of a unit and I just want to get it done and based that I get tired of reiterating the same colour scheme or fixing mistakes or whatever, but it's balanced by the satisfaction of finishing. Ultimately, it's a lot of fun.

Minuteman wrote:Great painting on this interesting and definitely very exotic ancient army. The skin tones are excellent, and I also like the other details - for instance, the way you have painted the bamboo longbows. Well done!

Cheers, I thought it would be nice to paint something a little more unconventional. Bamboo was also a little tricky in the beginning, but Google Images is a great help. It's when the ridges are very small that it takes a lot of concentration.

Michael Robert wrote:Hi Owen
Really nicely painted Indians. Lots of thought and research. This is all interesting and highly appreciated. Your painting goes realky well with the topic. So : chapeau!
Also I find it kind of courageous to start such a topic si thoroughly with so little on offer in terms of figures. Even converting is difficult. Maybe Assyrians with new heads/hats as heavies. Then I expect many elefants. Here the offer is not so bad. Well, you ´ll show us
Greetings to down under
Michael

Thank you, it's not too bad Down Under, even if the 1/72 scene is quite a bit smaller ;-) yeah, I think the limited figure range doesn't help, but it could be worse, at least there are SOME manufacturers. I was planning a medieval Burmese army and I think I'm going to have to literally convert every model when I get to it because there isn't a single model-maker.

It helps that Alexander the Great clashed with Porus otherwise I think there wouldn't have been even this limited attention; the Indians feel like an afterthought so the Macedonians have someone to fight on the tabletop and in dioramas, which I understand because Alexander's story is compelling and heroic but you know, I wish everyone got fleshed out to the same degree.

Luckily, Lucky Toys's King Porus' Army is a great hard plastic set to base the army around, the models by HaT do the trick and Newline Designs add variety with their 1/72 Ancient Indian range. The unexpected source of figures was from Speira Miniatures, who do great resin Indians. I have the war elephant waiting on my desk, such a great model. I sense an emperor figure coming out of that a few months down the line...

Ancient Indian Elite Warriors

If you're interested in the composition of the army, in terms of heavies/ elites my research indicates that they didn't have any different equipment. The Ancient Indians post-Vedic period (from Porus' time to the Mauryans around) had a six fold classification of the quality of troops, with the best being hereditary troops or Maulas.

Maulas were known for their loyalty to the king and were likely connected by caste and race like in later times - Professor F.W. Thomas. They were the most reliable and possessed of the greatest skill and fortitude. Chinese pilgrim Hiuen Tsiang wrote about the National Guard of India were: "heroes of choice valour, as the position is hereditary, adept in military tactics... in war they become the interpid vanguard." However, they seemed to have the same equipment, metal armour being monopolised by nobles. They may have had coats of quilted cotton and armour of hides, horn and hoof, but there's no indicator or evidence that these were just for any particular group of soldiers.

We do know that the Mauryans utilised female guardswomen / maiden guard. Chandragupta is believed to have been the first to use them. They are only depicted as armed with a sword. Megathenes describes them riding horses, chariots, or elephants while accompanying Chandragupta on hunts. One of the Indian ancient Mauryan writers, Kautilya, states that the king on rising from bed shall be received first by troops of women armed with bows (striganairdhanvibhih), who must have formed his immediate bodyguard.

The Mullaippattu makes a mention of the Yavanas (which are foreign Greek-Romans) as part of the troupes in the Tamil kingdom's army.It describes their dress, uses the word mileccar for them, and calls them the bodyguard of the king. The Yavanas can't speak the local language and communicate using gestures, Ancient Tamil authors sometimes speak of the Yavana body-guard of Pandya kings.

It appears though, that in the conception of Ancient Indian Warfare, infantry was looked down upon. The elite arm of the army was not infantry at all, but the Elephant Corps. This contrasts with ancient armies like the Romans, who relied on well-drilled legionnaires, whereas the Ancient Indians focused on the pure strength and unreliability of war elephants which shows what they had available to them and how it shaped their perspective on war.

Bluefalchion wrote:I love the attention to detail you have shown with these figures.

But I expect that the archers will look a lot better if you give them bow strings.

It is pretty easy to do with one or two hairs from a paint brush (depending on taut or loose bow) and a few tiny drops of glue.

Cheers, I've always been scared of trying to make bow strings, it's something I haven't considered in a while as I just thought I'd handwaive them away, like I did with my Warhammer archers. If I start now I'll have to do it for every single unit and thought of the extra work load is not encouraging lol. I'll look into it, I'll have to weigh it up with a test figure and see if the extra accuracy justifies the work / sourcing materials.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 May 2021, 19:03

I am one of the least-skilled modelors in all of Bennos Figure Forum and even I found adding bowstrings to be an extremely simple and straight-forward process. It will be downright child's play for an artist of you skill and accomplishment.

Posted by Chariobaude on 17 May 2021, 17:35

again, i don't jnow what i like more : your superb growing army or the knowlege your provide us with it ! please continue to share it, i'm now heading to wikipedia to know more about the battle between alexander and Poros ! ;-)
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Santi Pérez on 19 May 2021, 19:56

Wonderful painted figures, Owen. I love specially the skin tones. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Great work. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Next page

Return to Work in Progress