Work in Progress

Zvezda Trireme converted to a bow tower bireme

Posted by Howlin on 17 Feb 2022, 00:14

thank you, I had a few months of inactivity but trying to get a few models finished, What do you think of the sail, and potential changes to the red one? (adding silver stripes to tent, and adding eyes)

here is what the ship might look like with a basic sail, the rest of the ship is painted much like the box art for this one except the sail. there is just something about this colored one I am not sure if its off, or perfect character really.

Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Feb 2022, 01:46

My dad used to build ships - Flower-class corvettes etc in 1:1 scale to see off the U-boat scourge.

He would have admired your absolute skill with these rather smaller vessels. As do I.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Howlin on 17 Feb 2022, 04:20

That is impressive, this is not much of a contribution to society, but a childhood fantasy now realizing that got out of control and a nice way to spend some winters when trapped indoors!

Posted by Cryns on 19 Feb 2022, 11:29

I love it very much to see your ships being painted beautifully.
Hope to see more of your fascinating work.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Howlin on 27 Feb 2022, 22:46

I updated my main post on the gallery page with a new completed ship, this post will just be for helpful suggestions, which still looking for some feed back on whether the red ship needs eyes.

Thank you!

Posted by Bessiere on 09 Mar 2022, 23:00

These are truly epic and very unique. Kudos on all your hard work. I do have fascination for one particular boat; the Chaika? History seems sparse but the Cossacks were the terror of the Black Sea for some time using these craft. I'm strictly Napoleonics but have a thing for Cossacks and even thought about making them a Chaika though I have no idea how to scratch build a boat. I would love to learn more about that era so thought I would ask.
Bessiere  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Howlin on 10 Mar 2022, 01:30

Thank you.

I am not familiar with that ship, I know little about Napoleonic stuff except that I have been a long term fan of the game Age of Empires 3, which is that era. And has been a major inspiration for my love of strategy gaming.

I went to google image to look for your suggestion and got anime!

But I also remembered seeing a ship model like this one and think this is what you are talking about!
at 1/100 scale you may not need to scratch build anything but just leave out any details that give away the size. From my experience ship models tend to look smaller than what the scale says they are, so it may be perfectly usable.

Posted by Howlin on 10 Mar 2022, 01:35

one left on Ebay its the ship you are talking about

A ship like this seems like it has a lot of universality to be used in other times

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154416527929?h ... SwQIhgeO1j

Posted by Howlin on 10 Mar 2022, 01:45

Ebay is so dangerous, I am trying to not click buy.... its still too much.

here I see this Heller bireme shell, and I am pondering what to do with it! I kinda been wanting a black sail, black pirate ship.

Though these 2 ships are really not alike....

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Mar 2022, 02:31

Thanks Howlin. I have a spare caronade from the Zvesda cossack set that would fit nicely. I even have a set of rowers ready to go. May have to wait to buy it though, moneys a bit tight this month. thanks for finding that!
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 18 Aug 2022, 20:20

Howlin wrote:I finally found the inspirational picture for the first warship above!

Would have been interesting to see the source for the artists drawing. I just wonder about the reason for the two beams above the ram?
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Minuteman on 20 Aug 2022, 10:11

I imagine that some of these C19th/early C20th artists impression drawings are based on fragments of 'evidence' (much of it in Latin translations) and a degree of artistic licence.

With the benefit of a bit more archaeological evidence now, together with some actual 1:1 scale reconstructions, it is possible to come up with a more measured view as to what these vessels etc might have looked like. A bit of common sense also is worth throwing in to the mix ie: would the tower shown here have given the vessel - already rather high in the water - too high a centre of gravity? And even if the vessel had three banks of rowers, how is it that the crowd of marines appear to be standing on the shoulders or heads of the unfortunate rowers in this top tier?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Xantippos on 22 Aug 2022, 07:26

Very nice! they look very impressive. Model boats are very under represented in the hobby.

I would say the red trireme is fine without the eyes, it would make it too crowded. I like very much the yellow-white scheme of the sail of the light boat ;) .
Xantippos  

Posted by Howlin on 27 Aug 2022, 07:44

I could see a few purposes for the upper beams in my imagination, they would maybe cause soldiers on the other ship to be more weary, and also could serve as a 1-2 step "bridge" to hop to next vessel in boarding, but that does not appear to be the case in this design other than that fear element of more pointy things.

Posted by Howlin on 27 Aug 2022, 07:54

Not sure where there source material is, for decoration from my studies in related trireme art, there is almost no limit to the imagination. Many would be commissioned and hand made carved works of art, and others more cookie cutter style vessels. There are cases of them having towers but ussually they are collapsible for speed and can be thrown over board if tying to flee a battle. In a book on Classical Ships there are a variety of renderings of odd ships. if made of light woods I do not think the tower would actually weigh as much as one thinks compared to the rest of the ship to make it too noticeably unbalanced.

But yeah the top rowers don't make sense.... guess that is why mines only has 2.....

the completed version with crew can be seen at this link:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25418

Posted by Howlin on 27 Aug 2022, 07:55

thank you for the feedback

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress