Work in Progress

Antietam 17th September 1862

Posted by Graeme on 27 Apr 2021, 04:16

The commanding officer here and the previously posted Confederate chap are both very good looking figures.

Really impressive casualty figures and, once again, you have made something special out of that odd Revell zombie. Well done. :thumbup:

Praise also to Egbert for his lovely work on those personality figures.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Minuteman on 27 Apr 2021, 09:31

Excellent conversions and a very impressive commanding officer figure. Thanks also for the Paddy Griffith book tip...his writings are always useful and good value.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 27 Apr 2021, 10:13

Thank you for your kind words.

Incidentally, this excellent book i# still available through Amazon for those with an interest in these things.

Also, thanks to Minuteman I found this link.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Ba ... NMfgrUC90C

An excellent addition to my files and it’s free!

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 28 Apr 2021, 22:05

Captain Sibourne wrote:Never has a garage door been needed more quickly!

True words! I agree! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Egbert on 29 Apr 2021, 06:35

Graeme wrote:The commanding officer here and the previously posted Confederate chap are both very good looking figures.

Really impressive casualty figures and, once again, you have made something special out of that odd Revell zombie. Well done. :thumbup:

Praise also to Egbert for his lovely work on those personality figures.

Nothing else to say...I think exatly the same. :thumbup:
Come on Chris show us more...we are hungry for news of your fantastic project. :-D
Egbert  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 May 2021, 12:16

Back to Cassions

The Itallieri ACW limbers and teams are, similarly to the French artillery set a complete nonsense with the caveat that at least no riders are being whipped in the ACW version!

Rather than waste a resource I determined to convert them into something a little more realistic.

The ACW system was essentially two ammunition boxes on a trailer that featured a spare wheel. Whilst the boxes could be removed they where generally left in situ.

By chopping the Italieri box ( it’s too big) off, a base is left with a hole.

I then fashioned ammunition boxes from balsa, the front one having a sliver of additional balsa stuck on top to compensate for the difference in height.

These are then stuck to the frame and greenstuff applied to cover the gap and any holes in the balsa.

Bent, unravelled picture wire is then inserted into the balsa to provide the handles. Balsa loves wire and a small piece of copper earthing wire forms the spindle for the spare wheel.

I think, when painted they will pass muster along with the Revell adaptations I built earlier.

Good news, the garage door arrives on Monday.

Getting there.

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 06 May 2021, 14:55

Hooray for the garage door! :-D

Great conversions on those ammunition boxes. :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 May 2021, 12:29

Confederate firing line

I have personally think the Stretlets range of ACW figures has been a huge bonus to my project. Their range is fairly extensive and has allowed, by mixing them up a bit a huge variety of poses as opposed to the formal lines of old.

Also, due to the nature of the ‘uniforms’ marching and firing lines can be swapped without having to duplicate a unit saving a lot of painting.

This along with the expedient of swapping standard bearers for Confederate units, to represent different states units is most helpful.

This tatty bunch are itching to avenge South Mountain!

Good news, the garage door has arrived and will be fitted this week.

Making progress at last.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Peter on 12 May 2021, 13:02

That are two great pictures! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 13 May 2021, 07:25

You created another good looking unit. And I agree with you about the Strelets ACW range. It was a great push for this period and since it is very popular, I think, a long awaited extension to the limited sets already available.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 13 May 2021, 12:39

Thank you for the kind comments.

The Samuel Mumma Barn

Following my rough positioning of the buildings on my table I felt that there was enough room for the Mumma barn.

Whilst the ‘footprint’ will be out of scale the visual aspect will hopefully be enhanced. I intend that whilst the buildings will ‘tactically’ be of importance, their presence for line of sight and movement will be essentially ignored.

Once again the Library of Congress has been a treasure trove of information with technical drawings and photographs.

I have decided to ignore the flank building structures as the edifice is already huge. These ‘bank’ barns were based on a stone base with the wooden top structure allowing access up a slope and movement out through the opposite side onto wagons etc.

I used my card and caulk method to construct the base and balsa to build the rest of the structure. Whilst the model is not one hundred per cent correct I have used my license to keep the dimensions under control.

Doors were built with card and wire before attachment as experience has taught me this is easier than in situ. Door frames are lined with paper trimmed to size.

The original house was set ablaze by a Sergeant Major James F. Clark and volunteers from the 3rd North Carolina regiment on the orders of Brigadier Roswell Ripley in order to deprive Union sharpshooters cover.

Sergeant Clark incidentally survived the war and wrote a letter to the Sharpsburg postmaster who happened to be a Samuel Mumma Jr, apologising for his action. However, Samuel wrote back saying he understood the military logic of the destruction of his father’s house.

I have therefore made a duplicate top structure in order to set it ablaze as per the original.

I have left the ramp as I intend to bury the frontage in the sand table as per the original construction technique.

The camera is as merciless as ever, some of the brackets have slipped amd will require adjustment.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by Peter on 13 May 2021, 15:33

Great work again Chris! Real nice building. :thumbup:

It great to see that you can get those technical drawings. Don't think we have something like that in Belgium for historical buidings.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 May 2021, 12:11

Antietam topography

There are many maps of this battle available to help the landscape gardener recreate the terrain and it really is a case of perhaps, where to start?

I have commenced with my Antietam’ voices of the Civil War excellent map and by using the same scale and tracing paper with an outline of my table have ascertained approximately what I can fit into the fighting area.

Apologies for the torn off by accident corner.

This then translates into distances. Everything of course is in yards and miles so a little converting is required. I am not overly concerned with exactitude as I want the end result to look right rather than be a mathematical presentation.

Once again inconsistencies abound but I found William A Frassanito’s camera diagrams to be a most useful tool when I did a rough layout.

As usual, the contradictions from the reference sources immediately appear. Whilst I am not recreating spot heights, I do want to sculpt the landscape to be an approximate recreation of the original.

The Library of Congress has excellent maps showing the contour lines, fence types, crops etc and is excellent.

To get a slightly more simplified overview I consulted Ted Ballard’s United States Military centre for military history’s 2008 staff ride with its excellent maps.

https://history.army.mil/html/books/035 ... 35-3-1.pdf

Looking at the contour heights we see that he has the Nicodemus Heights on a 525 feet line whilst the LOC states 150 feet!

You really can not make this stuff up.

Wikipedia states that the town of Sharpsburg is at an elevation of 425 feet which suggests Mr Ballard is correct.

Nevertheless, a ‘feel’ of the landscape can be appreciated and this brilliant link from the Battlefield Trust is most useful too.

https://www.battlefields.org/visit/virt ... rtual-tour

I also dug out David Greenspan’s wonderful picture map from my childhood.

It is not entirely accurate, but it does represent the ground fairly well.

My sketch map will give me a starting point for the basic building blocks.

The new garage door has been installed and it is time to get the bucket and spade out.

Progress at last.

Chris

Posted by Peter on 23 May 2021, 15:13

I miss some news about the garagedoor in the last post!!! :eh:

Drawings and information on the groundwork sounds very interesting. :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Egbert on 23 May 2021, 20:30

Very nice progress of your project Chris.
And very interesting information about the terrain and the topography. :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by John Simmons on 24 May 2021, 01:07

Hi Chris,

I love all the work you've done on this project. I'm really looking forward to seeing your reconstruction of the field and the fighting. Your figures and buildings are already great, and I've been following along eagerly.

The last time I wargamed Antietam, we used the Antietam Battlefield map in "A Civil War Watercolor Map Series", done by McElfresh Map Co. (and still for sale from them, I think). Do you know that one? It includes quite detailed maps of both the morning and afternoon areas of fighting. But maybe you've got enough maps to go on already. (One thing I like about this map series, though, is that it includes details like which crops were in which fields, which were plowed or fallow, etc.)

Best,
John (Simmons)
John Simmons  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 May 2021, 09:02

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Thank you to John for the McElfresh suggestion.

I have the morning map which as you say is very nice. I did not not the extent of this companies mapping, very impressive.

Apart from the contour line hiccup, the LOC maps are extremely detailed down to the limestone outcrops and for dressing I will use them extensively.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 09 Jun 2021, 09:43

More chopping.

I was fortunate enough to to have the honour of meeting Massimo from Black Watch Minitures at the last Dioramica where I witnessed his genius in action.

His recent Franco Prussian masters are, as usual, outstanding and gave me an idea.

I hope that he doesn’t mind but I sliced up a Zvezda Napoleonic mounting ADC stuck him to an Airfix surrendering chap, after turning his hands down with pillars.

An Italieri US cavalrymans head and pistol completes the mounting rider.

The horse was from the Napoleonic command set suitably dressed with Greenstuff and bits from another cavalry horse.

Time for some landscaping.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Peter on 09 Jun 2021, 12:12

Real nice conversion Chris! :thumbup:

But what about the garage door? Any news about that? ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bessiere on 09 Jun 2021, 20:49

The Mumma farm; where the corn was prematurely cut using an entirely new method. Wonderful work as always Mr D. Your buildings and conversions are 1st class and your passion for authenticity will tie everything together in glorious fashion. I truly admire your painstaking efforts behind the scenes you create and the wonderful photos that transcend model layouts and give us a glimpse of the realities on these battlefields.
Bessiere  United States of America

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress