General

Diary X: July 2018 v. Deon

Posted by Bluefalchion on 03 Mar 2021, 16:45

Although still a bit shaken with my son's harrowing experience with choking at the end of June, I knew my solemn duty: to continue producing competitive entries in my role as Mr. X.

Italeri set 6016 clearly holds a special place in the hearts our forum members. For one thing, it seems everyone has a copy or two.

I had originally purchased the complete set in August of 2017. I had challenged Deon to a rematch after our tie in July 2017, and he suggested this figure and generously offered to ship me a single copy.

But I found it available for purchase within ready shipping distance (Waterloo 200th Anniversary Edition in light tan plastic) and it looked like a good set, so I treated myself.

It is a good thing I did, because I have now dueled with figures from this set on numerous occasions. The immediate rematch with Deon got swallowed up by life and other duties, but a year later, it was back on.

Here is a link to the duel itself:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21849
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 03 Mar 2021, 17:47

Mods:

Mispost. Please move this to 20mm 1/72 scale: General

Posted by Bluefalchion on 04 Mar 2021, 00:49

Thanks Peter!

At the time of this duel, I had either tied or lost every duel involving horses. Of course this was mostly because my opponents in those duels are all terrific painters, but partly down to the fact I am still trying to improve as a horse painter.

This duel involving one of Napoleon's mounted guards was quite a difficult subject to paint. The details on the dolman and pelisse are intricate indeed, and I could not get the face to look right.

I tried to make the horse-flesh a bit more convincing with more layers. Once I ran out of time, I decided to take my picture from a bit of a distance away to best highlight the (unintentionally) impressionistic style and use a black background and subdued lighting.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 07 Mar 2021, 17:04

Also do not forget that there is a duel currently running:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24545

Return to General