Modelling

The Cataphract Club

Posted by Ochoin on 18 May 2022, 11:57

....be a good name for some trendy, down-town rave.

However, I'm referring specifically to the heavily armoured cavalry of the Late Roman empire.
I'm painting some Tumbling Dice figures and the commander carries a shafted-weapon with a probably heavy knob on the end. Without wanting to be too technical, I'd call it a 'club'.

I've looked through the net but can't quite make out what said 'club' was made of......wooden haft & iron knob?
Any correction to that assumption?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Michael Robert on 18 May 2022, 18:07

Hello Donald
The appropriate name of the club would be mace. Very effective weapon from prehistoric to late medieval.
Since it is a commanders I suggest giving it a bronze or golden shine, but iron could be just as well.
Handles in wood, iron or metal reinforced wood staff
A lot of artist’s choice :-)
Have fun and show the redult
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 18 May 2022, 20:18

Ochoin wrote:....be a good name for some trendy, down-town rave.

However, I'm referring specifically to the heavily armoured cavalry of the Late Roman empire.
I'm painting some Tumbling Dice figures and the commander carries a shafted-weapon with a probably heavy knob on the end. Without wanting to be too technical, I'd call it a 'club'.

I've looked through the net but can't quite make out what said 'club' was made of......wooden haft & iron knob?
Any correction to that assumption?

donald

Yes, a good name donald! We have an 'Australian' bar in my central south of England hometown which is dubiously dubbed 'Walkabout', but I do not frequent it...too much 'fizzy light beer' for my liking, and I am about 300 years older than the regular clientelle.

Regarding maces: You would imagine that anyone rich enough to wear full cataphract armour would also be wealthy enough to acquire a well-designed, metal headed mace. Which makes the fact that the fine Zvezda set of generic cataphracts includes 3x of a figure wielding what can best be described as a hefty section of tree ie: more club than mace. The same set has an officer carrying something that looks rather too ornate but is clearly meant to be a mace. Intriguing....
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Return to Modelling