Modelling

Metal colors

Posted by Flambeau on 09 Jan 2022, 17:59

I have a small problem: Early on (in the 70s or 80s) I used Enamel colours (Humbrol or Revell) to paint my figures. With the arrival of water based colours these were more or less replaced, with the exception of gold, brass, bronze and copper. While I'm perfectly happy with Citadel Chainmail or Mithril silver I hate most every version of acrylic colours available out there in these shades. Besides, I still had a good stock of Enamel cans. Now this has come to an end and what's left is barely useable. Also the Enamel versions of Revell gold etc. still available seem to be of much poorer quality than in the old days. Any ideas?
Flambeau  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 09 Jan 2022, 18:25

Have tried to contrast paints?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 09 Jan 2022, 19:15

Normally I always use the citadel metal colors but now I'm using more and more the vallejo ones.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Flambeau on 09 Jan 2022, 19:33

@ Bluefalchion
Nope. Also I really don't know if it's worth the effort on a tiny scale painting epaulettes, sword hilts or fringes on a flag. The old enamel colours had a good natural feel about them, while the acrylic ones seem artifical (too bright or too dull) at least imho. And I'm not really good with shades and washes, starting with enamel colours and using them for 30+ years may have spoiled my technique a bit :eh:
Also while the acrylic silver or gun metal are easy to apply, I think acrylic gold, copper etc don't work as well.

@ Peter
Haven't used Vallejo gold yet, I guess I'll give it a try.
Flambeau  Germany

Posted by Peter on 09 Jan 2022, 20:45

The gold from vallejo is good. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by blacksmith on 09 Jan 2022, 23:55

I use Vallejoacrylic 70.801 Brass for gold and for metal I use oily steel 70.865, natural steel and also model metallic air steel 70.065 which is really good. I'm very happy with them.
blacksmith  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 10 Jan 2022, 00:10

I also prefer the enamel metallics but water cleanup is not something I am willing to give up.

Sometimes I thin the acryllic metals out, but then do several layers as each layer dries to improve coverage. Another thing you can do is mix the metallic with a non-metallic dark but similar color and then build up you shiny areas with subsequent coats.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Simon on 10 Jan 2022, 05:08

I suggest you try the Vallejo "Metal Color" series of acrylic paints. They are labelled as an airbrush paint, but they brush on very nicely and leave a great finish. Don't confuse them with the other acrylic metallic paints Vallejo offers, such as game Color and Model Color - those are just as bad as most acrylic metals.
Simon  Australia

Posted by Simon on 10 Jan 2022, 05:12

....also, the range is still fairly small. There is only one gold and one copper at the moment. I use 77.724 Silver, 77.725 Gold and 77.710 Copper as well as a handful of aluminium and steel colours.
Simon  Australia

Posted by Kekso on 10 Jan 2022, 07:27

You can also try Scalecolor metallic paints. They're very good.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Fire at Will on 10 Jan 2022, 07:58

I use the Armypainter metallics, I bought them on a friends recommendation after trying the poor Vallejo version. Great coverage/finish and it even works well for drybrushing.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by PhilC on 10 Jan 2022, 08:59

I've tried a few acrylic gold in the past (GW, Prince August...), but never could get a result close to Enamel. So the last Enamel paint that I use is Revell Gold, but I would like to replace it, because of the toxicity of the white spirit, so I will try some of the above suggestions.
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by MikeRC97 on 10 Jan 2022, 13:57

Simon wrote:I suggest you try the Vallejo "Metal Color" series of acrylic paints. They are labelled as an airbrush paint, but they brush on very nicely and leave a great finish. Don't confuse them with the other acrylic metallic paints Vallejo offers, such as game Color and Model Color - those are just as bad as most acrylic metals.

I’ll second this - these have become my go to metallic colors supplemented by a few of the regular Vallejo Air metallic colors not available in the Metal range. I use them both with airbrush and brush on.

Another technique I’m fond of is mixing in a little bit of a non-metallic acrylic color to reduce some of the glitter effect of metallics but preserve the shiny effect and color.
MikeRC97  

Posted by Susofrick on 11 Jan 2022, 11:01

Thanks for this! I do have some trouble with silver and especially gold and brass. Brass went so bad so I used gold instead. Dug out an old Humbrol Enamel and it works okay. Silver? GW is not very good, Humbrol acrylic is okay, my old Humbrol Enamel silver was dead when I opened it. Cleaning brushes? Not painting any big areas so I use a sharpened toothpick for my enamels.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 12 Jan 2022, 00:58

I can recommend liquid bronzes. (nitro based). I use them for years to paint every piece of armor, brass shells, and for drybrushing weapons and chainmail on black base coat. I was a big fan of the old Games workshop colors chainmail and mithril silver. The newer one´s are not that good. Also vallejo game color doesn´t have the same effect like the liquid bronzes.
I think the metal effect is very good. There are different brands you can buy. I think "Flüssigbronze" by Kreul is very good. Be sure to shake and stir well before use.
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Return to Modelling