Modelling

Carts for Huns

Posted by Ochoin on 16 Oct 2021, 11:12

On reading, I've found the Huns would, if pressed, retreat to a wagon-lager.

Nice.

Except I don't have one. I've looked at my ACW/AZW collection of wagons but they're clearly out of period.

Surely a Hun wagon would have solid wheels, crude sides & the roughest of limber poles.
So...what to do?

If I was Santi, I'd scratch build something remarkable. And I may have to give this option a shot.
But is there anything out there I could buy? Easily convert?

Help needed.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Fire at Will on 16 Oct 2021, 13:53

I think Hunnic wagons would have the same wheels as the Romans so spoked. Unfortunately the only DBA Fanaticus site has moved and it no longer has an eye-candy section on camps
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 16 Oct 2021, 14:52

Clearly, Strelets have a pile of various very crude wagons – one to a range of sets. To get the 6-8 I’d need would be to spend stupid money.
Scratch build may be the best option. As always, wheels are an issue. However, I don’t think I’d actually need the transport animals but would just make the lager as a static piece on a base.

I wish I had a pile of the chariot wheels from the Airfix Ancient Britons set but I must have discarded these years ago. I don't have an real assortment of spoked wheels either.
Cutting solid discs from card is obviously possible too.

Should prove an interesting project.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 16 Oct 2021, 18:48

Ochoin wrote:I wish I had a pile of the chariot wheels from the Airfix Ancient Britons set but I must have discarded these years ago. I don't have an real assortment of spoked wheels either.
Cutting solid discs from card is obviously possible too.

Should prove an interesting project.

donald

A shame we live on opposite sides of the World, donald, as I have quite a lot of surplus Airfix chariot wheels.

Good luck with this project....one where the 'cruder the better' !
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 16 Oct 2021, 23:32

The blessed 'Bits Box'.

I went through this depository of all useless bits that are too useful to throw out & discovered a fair amount of material that will be useful.

Not least - wheels.

A number of the clunky wheels from the Atlantic Egyptian chariots (long replaced by slicker ones).
I wish I had more.
About 10 very heavy metal ones that I bought -sight-unseen- for some long ago projecte & rejected because they were too clumsy looking.
And some possibly too elegant looking HaT & Zvesda ones from various Nap. limbers & caissons.

So, a range of carts & possibly a 4 wheeled wagon or two.
I *think* the bodies could be made from match sticks & limber poles carved from wooden chop sticks.

And, yes, they will be crude. Probably even if I didn't want them to be!

The effect I'll go for should be something like this:

http://legio-wargames.com/wagon-laager/4538330577

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Xantippos on 17 Oct 2021, 14:49

Every wargamer, sooner or later will end up realizing he is chronically lacking in supply carts!

Everything related to baggages and supplies, is very notorious in history, but tremendously overlooked by the hobby. When there is something, it is usually very expensive and relatively unattractive.

I've usually surpassed this by making my own. In the past I did very simple ones with cardboard, and further on I casted a suitable wheel, and then built the rest with cardboard, or later, wood. Lately I was doing some carts just with wood, as I have a big bag accumulated over the years of wood bits, even with some circular pieces good for wheels!

Also, being a multi collector helps, as I've used when I am on ancients, all carts I can find, even from ww2 or napoleonic! not perfect, but for me good enough.

I must admit I did buy, both Hat carts for ww1 and ww2, that gives you 3 carts each I think and were very cheap, as I was tired of making carts and wanted new ones.
Xantippos  

Posted by steve_pickstock on 17 Oct 2021, 15:41

Ochoin wrote:Surely a Hun wagon would have solid wheels, crude sides & the roughest of limber poles.

Only if all of their wheel-wrights had been killed by a disease or by enemy action.

To nomadic peoples use wagons to carry their lives. They carry the women, the children, the gurs or the yurts, their pots, pans, pets, slaves and sleeping gear.

The wagons were as must a sign of status as thd goods they carried, why would they then stick a sawn off tree stump on them as a wheel?

Solid sheels are inefficient and ineffective, plus as far back as you can go in funeral goods and illustrations, carts and chariots have been shown with spoked wheels.

Obviously people DID sometimes use solid wheels, but I would argue that people who relied on wheeled transport used spoken wheels.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 18 Oct 2021, 10:12

Please forgive the gibberish spelling - I feel so strongly about solid wheels, that was a bit of a rant. I apologise.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 18 Oct 2021, 10:31

Solid wheels? Then I would go for this:

:joker: :mrgreen:

It was a "what if" game, no? :xd:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Oct 2021, 10:45

steve_pickstock wrote:Please forgive the gibberish spelling - I feel so strongly about solid wheels, that was a bit of a rant. I apologise.

Don't apologise. I appreciate you taking your time to share your knowledge.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Oct 2021, 10:46

Peter wrote:Solid wheels? Then I would go for this:

:joker: :mrgreen:

It was a "what if" game, no? :xd:

Peter. Peter. Peter.

I'm fairly sure the Huns don't need that level of armour to rough up the poor Late Romans.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Santi Pérez on 19 Oct 2021, 19:45

Ochoin wrote:...If I was Santi, I'd scratch build something remarkable. And I may have to give this option a shot...

Thank you very much for your confidence, Donald, perhaps I would be able to do it, but for the moment, I prefer going on converting "modern carts". :mrgreen:

Best regards. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Oct 2021, 06:49

Following Steve's advice, I've knocked together 3 vehicles: 2 carts & a wagon, with rather robust spoked wheels (no solid disks).

I'm quite happy with them & will glue them to a terrained base this week to create one side of a wagon lager.

I'll post a photo or two this week.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Oct 2021, 04:28

I've based these three....& found some medieval wagons that might be usefully added to the lager.

I have enough wheels to scratch build another three vehicles. I can add pleshed fences I have and this should make an adequate barbarian camp.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 28 Oct 2021, 21:22

Looking good Donald! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Graeme on 30 Oct 2021, 02:15

Excellent use of the bits box. they look very good.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by MABO on 13 Nov 2021, 09:34

Good solution. I like them. Nice weathering.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Modelling