Modelling

Painting Voltigeurs as Grenadiers (1815)

Posted by VenTWooT on 14 Feb 2021, 09:11

Goodmorning everybody,

for my French Waterloo army i'm looking for some Grenadiers and Voltigeurs for my Line Bat.
I found a Voltigeur set (Waterloo 1815 Set 062) and i'm thinking about painting some of these in Grenadiers colours. Besides a horn instead of a grenade on the ammo pouch, i don't think there's much difference.

I know the gaitors aren't supposed to be over the knee, so i'm also thinking of just painting the 'knee' white, so it looks like it's just the trousers.

What do you guys think, am i missing something here ?
I can't find a Grenadier kit to my liking (shako's instead of bearskin, trousers over gaiters, Bardin regulations etc)

Thanks and have a great day!
VenTWooT  Netherlands

Posted by CPN on 14 Feb 2021, 10:52

Great idea.

If you can get this set there you have it all.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=887
The only thing would be to swap their Italeri heads with some Zvezda voltigeurs or some Waterloo 1815 ones.
See this great examples from a former very active blog I loved.
http://rosbiffrog.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... p.html?m=1

Cheers.
CPN
CPN  France

Posted by VenTWooT on 14 Feb 2021, 11:00

Thank you very much.

I already have the Italeri 6066, that's my 'main' French line batallion, but i wanted some more poses for the Grenadiers/Voltigeurs. The 6066 is my first and already my favorite set!

I don't understand the head swapping part? It look likes they put Voltigeur heads on Fusilier bodies? Wouldn't that make it an incorrect uniform for them ?

Again, thanks for your quick reply!
VenTWooT  Netherlands

Posted by CPN on 14 Feb 2021, 14:28

Hello
I didn't know you had this set.
Now I think the value of conversion was for the elite companies of this set as I think the original heads are not really nice.
Good luck with your project.
CPN
CPN  France

Posted by Minuteman on 17 Feb 2021, 20:20

Italeri 6066 is a good set, if you like the sculpting style and the rather strange 'no chin' heads. I have found however that the rather 'chunky' figures do not mix particularly well with some other 1/72 Napoleonic French infantry sets. The figures are, of course, wearing trousers for the most part, so the issue of painting short gaiters is irrelevant for these models. The box artwork is notably inaccurate in the respect, although a perfectly good and inspiring picture in its own right.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Return to Modelling