Modelling

Beginner question

Posted by VenTWooT on 17 Dec 2020, 14:44

Hello everybody,

i'm new here on the forum as i just started collecting en painting 1/72 Napoleonics.
I just really enjoy the painting, as it takes a lot of stress away.
My ultimate goal is to have 2 opposing armies to play wargames with friends, but i'm going to take my time.

I started with an italeri French Infantry Set (6066) and want to create a "1815' Battalion of 6 companies (Grenadier, 4x Fusilier, Voltigeur).
I know it might sounds crazy, but i want to create a 1:10 men size. ( so 1miniature is 10 men in real life) I know i'm going to need A LOT of figures, but as i said, i'm going to take all the time i need.

So i want to create the Centre Companies with 3 rows of 4 figures. Ofcourse i have some questions to you miniature veterans.

1) I'm looking for more grenadiers with the correct uniform (1812-1815), as the italeri set has only 2 poses, and the other sets i found online don't seem to have the same uniforms as my current ones.

2) What combination of poses do you recommend, should i mix the marching/firing/advancing all together of just a combination of firing/reloading for example?

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think. I can post some photos of my work if you're interested.
VenTWooT  Netherlands

Posted by Michael Robert on 17 Dec 2020, 15:24

Hello VentWood

welcome here. Any new figure collector and painter is here at the right place - and wargamers, too. All criteria fit...

Your question is rather large. The choice for alternative figures is tremendous, and we have often seen people mixing all kind of brands and making them look great together. In the end it's a question of personal taste. Same answer concerning the mix of poses. You can create great variety by modifying poses - many tutorials here - or modelling your own figures! - also tutorials exist. If you want to learn how figures mix and what you can make out of them please scroll around on the forum. Right now you have posts about the dios of Waterloo by Koppi and Plancenoit by Captain Sibourne. Just observe and enjoy.
Concerning alternative sets the problem is not existing figure sets - there are many - but their current availability. The best site to know about both - figures and availability - is a site called Plastic Soldier Review - description of all ever existing sets and links to most major online sellers.

Hope to see your work some day
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MABO on 17 Dec 2020, 17:42

I would like to underline Michaels Post and add a direct link:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=22#France-LineInfantry

I can also recommend Art Miniatures to add variety

https://www.schmaeling.de/napoleonischer-krieg/franzosen/

Keep on painting!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by VenTWooT on 17 Dec 2020, 18:40

Thank you very much for the welcome, quick reply and great advise. I will look into it. Here is a photo of one of my first soldiers, i’m really happy how they turned out. They look a bit darker on photo, but i like the “dirty” look of the battlefield.

VenTWooT  Netherlands

Return to Modelling