Modelling

Baggage

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Sep 2020, 14:07

I'm taking a short break from painting figures (actually, apart from a few Zulus, I don't have anything to paint).

So I'm making some removable loads for various wagons (including the excellent HaT Boer OX wagon).

To do this, you cut a piece of cardboard the exact size of the floor. Paint it like the wagon, and glue on a selection of the various sacks, barrels & boxes you tend to acquire. Paint & wash.

The beauty of this is you can remove the "cargo" if you want to. With Zulu games, for instance, the removed cargo provides additional barriers for the beleaguered British.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 10 Sep 2020, 19:21

A very good idea donald. I have done something similar with US and German 'general purpose' WW2 trucks, where these have a removeable option for the cargo area - either seated troops (using the HaT tank rider sets to provide the troops on scratch built benches); or general cargo. It makes for a flexible-use model truck.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 10 Sep 2020, 22:00

Nice work Donald! :thumbup:

Did you have a look at the Imex set?

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=477
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 11 Sep 2020, 01:31

I have that set! I'd forgotten but that's is where I got the idea for the baggage - nothing is original, Minuteman. All we can hope to do is stand on the shoulders of giants.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 11 Sep 2020, 08:43

Ochoin wrote:I have that set! I'd forgotten but that's is where I got the idea for the baggage - nothing is original, Minuteman. All we can hope to do is stand on the shoulders of giants.

donald

I think I might have that set too, and had forgotten the cargo insert!

Agreed, little is truly original but it is what we make of the ideas and the way they are applied that counts I think. Your idea of using the removable cargo as a barricade for hard-pressed British infantry facing hordes of Zulus is a good and original one. And the HaT Ox Wagon is a very good and valuable set.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 11 Sep 2020, 10:33

Much like the historical British (see Rorke's Drift), I've found the only sure way to beat the Zulus is to use barriers - walls, mealie bags or a "wall" of Gatling guns.

I'm busy planning a game based on the battle of Hlobane for sometime this year. Finding a balance where both sides in the AZW have a reasonable chance at victory is actually a challenge. This battle, as you know, will depend on the speed of the various Colonial horsemen to escape to provide a "victory".

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Fire at Will on 11 Sep 2020, 20:00

I acquired some barricades some years ago and luckily they fitted well into the HaT Ox Wagons

and I can then remove them to create a laager.

Will
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 11 Sep 2020, 21:12

Excellent. A moveable fortress.

And why didn't HaT provide at least 4 oxen per wagon? Rather annoying.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Rich W on 12 Sep 2020, 09:18

Both look good Donald and Will. Nice idea.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Return to Modelling