Modelling

GW Contrast paints for Zulu's

Posted by PaulRPetri on 12 Jan 2020, 03:32

As the tiltle states I thought I would try to use some of the new Games Workshop contrast paints to speed paint some Zulu figures. Two things came together. First I picked up a giant unpainted collection of ESCI zulus. The second thing going my way is that I had some store credit built up at the hobby shop I go to, (they have auctions twice a year so you can bring your old stuff in and they sell it for you. You can take 100 percent store credit or a 50 50 split if you want cash. Great system.) because normally I would never pay $7 dollars for a jar of hobby paint, I am far too cheep for that. But having store credit is like having some free play hobby money.

So I decided to try two different options to paint them. The contrast paints work with white or grey base coats. I decided to try Liquitex tube acrylic neutral grey for my first test. In the last year or so I have switched over to using tube acrylic paints to prime my plastic figures. I really like the base it gives to the plastic figures. The first set of photos are the grey basecoat test. Image[/url[url=https://postimg.cc/jC53yTZ6]Image[/url[url=https://postimg.cc/w3C53YPj]Image
The next batch were base coated, (primed) with Liquitex Parchment. Here are the photo test shots.ImageImageImage
Both basecoats were covered with GW contrast cygor brown at about 40 percent strength, thined with contrast medium. The cygor brown is really a strong tone but the other browns in the contrast line are either too weak or have too much red in them for my liking.
By the way I also used Liquitex matte fluid medium to thin the contrast paints without any negative effects. I was going to try to use contrast paints to paint the whole figure but I had to paint in the white leg and arm fringes and some deep reds with regular paints. But I do like the grey basecoat results the best. Thanks for swinging by for a look.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Harry Faversham on 12 Jan 2020, 11:04

Lot of messing about for no reason, in my 'umble opinion. Give yer Zulus a black wash straight onto the dark brown plastic, drybrush the white bits, paint on the loin cloth thingys, and...
after a coat of matt varnish, job's a good 'un!

:coffee:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Kekso on 12 Jan 2020, 12:59

7$ for a jar of GW contrast paint? You're not cheap, it is darn expensive. :shock:

Thank you for sharing your experience.

So, any conclusions from your side?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 12 Jan 2020, 16:47

Here are two close up shots of the finished zulus. The first shot is with the Parchment base coat. Second shot light grey.ImageImage

Not sold on any of it actually. I am still refelcting on it.

Harry I may give your method a try, but I would really be concerned with the paint flacking off on the bits not washed. I always coat my figures in Future floor wax, its called Pledge with Future wax now. Then once based I hit the whole thing with testors dull coat.

Posted by Harry Faversham on 13 Jan 2020, 16:24

I washed the entire figure, spear shield and all. Painted the shields, weapons and other bits then. I prepared and finished them very much like you have. In over 20 years nothing's flaked off...
which is miraculous for over 600 bendy plastic toy sowjers...

:occasion:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Jan 2020, 16:30

Whatever method one uses,as long as it is done is the main thing. Very nice presentation Paul, :thumbup: and so nice to see it on this Forum. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 13 Jun 2020, 16:18

after getting a firm dressing dowm from Harry Faversham I decided to abandon the contrast paint and instead give these zulus a black wash using Pledge with Future wax and black acrlic ink. Then painting the remaining stuff and giving them a brown wash with the Future wax. Awaiting basing. A few Republic romans and some Russian cavalry is hiding in the background on one of the pics.

Posted by PaulRPetri on 13 Jun 2020, 16:21

A few frontier light horse from Hat.
Second picture not so good...

Posted by PaulRPetri on 13 Jun 2020, 16:23

Found one more zulu shot.

Posted by Rich W on 14 Jun 2020, 09:44

Close ups please! I always enjoy seeing painted zulu's but they're hard to make out in these pics!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Return to Modelling