Modelling

New colortechnic ?

Posted by Wiking on 25 Sep 2019, 17:11

In one of the lasts hobby shops (Only war gaming, sci fi, lord of rings, Orcs, Warhammer an so on ...)
I bought a new color or color system, to me. Citadel "Contrast".
First I thought it is a wash.
The salesman told me no!
You paint a white primer, or the chosen basic color. And then you use the brand new color.
"Contrast". It is a kind of base color and a wash together. He show me a finished result on a blue wing of a dragon. It was blue and the lines are for sure darker in color.
I will try two of the new color. So I walked with a third standard base color of citadel to the point of sales.

"Eighteen Euro !"
?
"How much ?"
"18 € please."
(My mechanical brain start to work. Slow, inefficient but it worked, sometimes. It is old, used bit rusty and not very well greased :oops: )
Three colors for 18 € ? Too much I decide for me. The exact price for "contrast" I forgot because I was too angry about THAT price politic. I know that this hobby shop is price wise not the most attractive one but, I am Sorry.
"I bring one "contrast" back."
And did so.
I decide to go with the white that I actual can use for one figure. And the other base color.

Now, up to the important result, pic you are waiting for sooo long.

The Base color I use. Model Color. And on the right the new (to me) "Contrast".

17ml to 18 ml

To all members and readers.
Please, take thicker clothes. It will be a bit cold now.

"Hey guys! Watch out! You will get into the (Deutsche Wochenschau :mrgreen: )
Benno`s figures Forum!"

Both figures are from MIG. A light yellow resin.

From your point of view the left soldier:
Primed: Model color white. As shown the pic up.
Base color: Model color white. As shown the pic up.
Wash: Vallejo grey wash, thinned with water.
Dry brush: Citadel wrack white. (It is a little bit darker white as the Model color white.)

From your point of view the other also the left! Soldier:
Primed: Model color white. As shown the pic up.
Then I paint him with the "contrast".
Dry brush: Citadel wrack white. (It is a little bit darker white as the Model color white.)

I try to show you the figures from front and the rear ( turn of 180° ) of the same source of illumination.

The one on the load bed is for sure a bit darker. Not so shiny white.
For me both work very well in winter clothes.

Hope you enjoy it.
:wave:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 26 Sep 2019, 03:06

Contrast paints are for lazy painters or people who wnats to have tabletop standard figures in a short time. I don't consider you as any of them.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Sep 2019, 05:03

Well I would like to try them.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Sep 2019, 08:11

I am a bit lazy, but I find it fiddly and confusing with all those different kind of paints. All they want is to have our money. Good work Wiking to show! Maybe if you are that kind of painter (I am not a GW-painter, I just use some of their paint because that's the easiest available here) you can get very good results, but I know that many of us just paint anyway, some good, some very good, some less good. But we all have fun. And all those Contrast, Air, Wash, Layer, Dry, etc. etc. is just confusing! I think Paul go the right way with cheap water-coulors, but I'm a little afraid to try and don't feel I have the time to fail with the colour-mixing.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Wiking on 26 Sep 2019, 10:22

Susofrick wrote:
... but I find it fiddly and confusing with all those different kind of paints.

A very good point Susofrick.

That comes to my mind too.
In the beginning (1998) only color of Humbrol or Revell and a smelling cleaning bottle for the brushes. Thinned color for wash. Color of the brush and a clothe, dry brushing.
And the world was great.
(Till I get my first water based colors. And I am still really happy with water based color !)
But I could`t withstand, soften up and give "contrast" a try.

Technical I own: (all water based)
Primer, Base paint, Metal color,Base paint for airbrush, Wash, Dry brush, Varnish, Chipping, Pigments and now: Contrast.

In the end the truth is after priming, base paint, wash, dry brushing that`s all for the very most.
Washes and dry brushes are an improvement for me. But just to be (lazy) a little bit faster.
And I learned that I use in the end grey, brown washes. Or a mix of it. Blue, yellow and green was a waste of money.
For dry brush color there are four color I use well. That`s it. My other four exotic dry color,rare used are in the end also a waste of money.
Susofrick wrote:
All they want is to have our money.
:yeah:

All these chipping, pigments, etc.. is nice to own a few. But I leaned also that you have to know where to use in the correct way and amount.

Conclusion for me.
Stay with the things, technic you know, will work fine.
Try new things if you feel it could be an improvement (I do not see this with filter color as an example of: NO). Watch yourself for a time span how often you use it. And make your decision for useful or not.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Sep 2019, 11:37

Exactly!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 26 Sep 2019, 13:30

Not really new technique, more an evolution of using washes on white base coat, which I used myself in few occasions in the past and abandoned as results were not really satisfying IMHO. It's indeed a useful fast painting techniques for wargamers that cannot stand the sight of unpainted armies on the battlefield. For those who do not want to invest on GW contrasts here is an interesting video that shows how to do it yourself at cheaper price https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0rc0EOOys
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Return to Modelling