Modelling

Figure Conversions

Posted by Leonid Kireev on 10 Aug 2019, 17:29

Using the figures of Mounted Sergeants (http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2168) from “Mars” as an example, I will show how to remake the figures so that they look like what they were originally created for. This kit is best suited for this, I would say - it is the most revealing of all that I did, since in my opinion it is impossible to paint these sergeants in their original form. Most of all in the set of “sergeants” I did not like the fact that the figures do not have shields! Absolutely not! Although the figures are declared by the manufacturer as medieval warriors, and not as wandering circus artists.
Further, as was already said in the review on the PSR, the weapon that comes with the figures is unsuitable for use. So they also need to arm.
The next drawback: this is already an injection mold and a feature of the sculpture - “spilled” hands, helmets.
And some of the figures have too weak protective equipment.
Other disadvantages are much more difficult to eliminate - it is easier to create a new figure. These are two essentially identical poses; this is the presence of raincoats that partially cover the hands, which makes it impossible to change the position of the hands.
In general, I decided to somehow improve them, eliminating the lack of casting, and the lack of weapons and shields.
That's how it was ...

Using a soldering iron, he removed the "pile", which remained after processing with a knife and sandpaper:

With the help of the two-component putty from Tamiya, I added armor on the arms and legs of some of the figures. This can be seen in the figures on the yellow color of the putty.

I glued model strips-masks to the figures on super-glue - an imitation of the shield belts:

Next I glued the shields:

Glued the arms into his hands:

Then he putty depicted plate armor and put on helmets:

Using a dishwashing detergent, degreased:

On uneven places, joints of putty and plastic, joints from molds, PVA glue was applied:
PVA glue flows into the recesses, and when it dries, a layer remains that covers irregularities and defects.

The last step is the primer. I can be primed with the Hambrol special primer paint through an airbrush:

Of course, with the help of photos and comments you can’t show some points for clarity, so I’ll try to make a video) I’ll look for the operator)
Leonid Kireev  Russia

Posted by Bluefalchion on 10 Aug 2019, 19:40

Your conversions make those figures super useful! Thanks for the helpful tutorial.

To the modeling table!!!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 11 Aug 2019, 21:00

Excellent topic! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Germanicus on 22 Feb 2021, 00:18

Wonderful. May I ask how did you build those excelent swords and shields?
Germanicus  Italy

Posted by C M Dodson on 22 Feb 2021, 09:57

Thank you for this.

The PVA idea is brilliant.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Feb 2021, 13:05

This is great stuff :thumbup: well done. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Modelling