Questions

Milliput

Posted by Erik-Jan on 31 Jan 2023, 10:42

I noticed the other day my milliput has dried up again (happened before) in the packaging. .

One of the 2 components has gone rock solid.

Does anyone know what causes this, snd is there a way to prevent this from happening?

I now ordered some greenstuff , lets see how that goes.. will this have the same problem in due time?

Any hints and tips are welcome.
Erik-Jan  Bulgaria
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Kekso on 31 Jan 2023, 11:00

My green stuff also dried out after few years of not using it. So I think every product like this has a shelf life.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 31 Jan 2023, 11:20

I have been using Milliput for years and have not experienced the drying out problem that you mention.

There are different grades of Milliput. I usually use the white Milliput Fine, and this lasts a good long time in its packaging. Other grades might possibly dry out more quickly?

Keeping this product away from dry, centrally-heated climates probably helps to prolong its life as well. Keeping it in a sealed container in a cool room, or even outside in a garage or shed, will probably also help.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by steve_pickstock on 31 Jan 2023, 11:28

I have known Miliput to dry out before, it becomes unusable.

I thinks it is down to the grey part of the miliput being in contact with the air which causes it to harden. It can't harden completely because it doesn't have the green component but it does its' best.

The answer is to keep it in an air-tight container. (I just wish I could remember to do that).
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 31 Jan 2023, 15:20

Kekso wrote:My green stuff also dried out after few years of not using it. So I think every product like this has a shelf life.

I'm no expert in this matter, but can't this be hold good by putting in a wet towel just like clay? :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 01 Feb 2023, 19:38

Peter, once it is open/used it will start drying no matter what. Fortunately, I'm not talking about days or months but years :)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Questions