Questions

Rubber stamps?

Posted by Pocho Azul on 27 Jan 2021, 21:01

In the past, I have just painted heraldic or insignia type markings freehand, with varying degrees of success. Sometimes the slight irregularity of the end product had its own charm, but other times I was dissatisfied.

I wonder, has anyone tried using rubber stamps to paint symbols that need to be repeated across a large number of figures and that should be more or less identical? I know that rubber stamp carving kits exist, and believe that acrylic ink, or paint should stick reasonably well to them. I also realize that this would only work on relatively smooth, flat surfaces (if it works at all).

My short-term application for this is shoulder insignia for some GW space marines I expect to be painting soonish. I know that there are decals available for this purpose, but (A) I don't really like how decals look on painted miniatures, within my admittedly limited experience, and (B) I don't have any decals and don't want to spend money on figures I am mainly painting for practice. Rubber stamp kits aren't free, of course, but if it worked I would gain experience with a re-useable technique. It might also be useful for such thinks as vehicle insignia, shields, Sashimono banners, surcoats, etc.

Masking stickers might work for some things, although not for others (like this, for example). Also, I wonder how many times more than once a mask template could be re-used. I have no experience, yet, so I can't tell.

Is this something that has been tried or is it so brilliant(ly stupid) that it hasn't? That seems very unlikely, but I haven't found any prior info about it.
Pocho Azul  United States of America

Posted by Kekso on 28 Jan 2021, 16:06

Example link doesn't work :(
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Pocho Azul on 28 Jan 2021, 17:59

Oops, sorry. I think this will work better: link or this

They are just examples of something that would be difficult (checkers) to do with a mask.

I finally did find three posts, one quite recent, two old, on The Miniatures Page about using rubber stamps. Is posting the links to those threads OK?
Pocho Azul  United States of America

Posted by Kekso on 29 Jan 2021, 11:34

Pocho Azul wrote:I think this will work better

It does :)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Questions